MPF Generated My Weekly Food Log...

spzjlb
spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
And my three most frequently logged foods are: coffee, avocado and white wine! What a trio! Actually, I eat a fair bit of food with oatmeal (such as high-fiber baked treats to keep me satisfied), fish and veggies (roast them for best flavour). I also think I should have more homemade soups on hand for quick meals or a satisfying snack.

What are your go-to foods that help with your weight loss goals that might might inspire this group?

Replies

• cxwhit3
    cxwhit3 Posts: 293 Member
    edited February 2018
    My number one go to when I’m craving sweets is apple cinnamon tea. I like to snack on baby carrots, grape tomatoes, plain almonds, and the very rare treat of a Fiber One brownie. I try really hard to stay away from processed food as flavor enhancers such as MSG wreak havoc on my gut. (TMI). I try to plan my food day the evening before so I have a plan and adjust as I go. I also plan about 100 calories short so I have room for changes. If I’m really craving sweets and the tea didn’t take care of it, I keep the small boxes of raisins in my pantry. Again I try to have that be a rare treat.

Meals I eat a lot of chicken and fish. Brown rice and avocado. Also a black bean and corn salad in whole grain pita. I repeat a lot of meals out of general laziness and ease of preparation.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Because I can't have nuts yet, I've learned to incorporate and appreciate seeds more. I like roasting pumpkin or sunflower seeds and using them on anything. They taste great and add some crunch. Plus, I didn't know have more protein than nuts, like hemp seeds. Great in salads, smoothies, anything.

I've also been using coconut milk, full fat from a can to thicken up smoothies or make stews or soups. It adds a nice, rich, creaminess. Plus it's healthy!!

One of my favorite snacks which is kind of addictive, but at least it's filling is roasting chickpeas and tossing them with some salt, maple syrup and cinnamon. I snack on them all the time and get sad when I'm almost out.

I've been drinking more tea, but mostly because it's been cold and want something to warm me up.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    spdaphne wrote: »
    Because I can't have nuts yet, I've learned to incorporate and appreciate seeds more. I like roasting pumpkin or sunflower seeds and using them on anything. They taste great and add some crunch. Plus, I didn't know have more protein than nuts, like hemp seeds. Great in salads, smoothies, anything.

I've also been using coconut milk, full fat from a can to thicken up smoothies or make stews or soups. It adds a nice, rich, creaminess. Plus it's healthy!!

One of my favorite snacks which is kind of addictive, but at least it's filling is roasting chickpeas and tossing them with some salt, maple syrup and cinnamon. I snack on them all the time and get sad when I'm almost out.

I've been drinking more tea, but mostly because it's been cold and want something to warm me up.

Wow - great tips! I’m going to stock up on seeds and incorporate coconut milk into my cooking. I love legumes, so will definitely try the chickpeas. Have you tried baking with chickpea flour? I have done so with success a few times as hubby is GF.

Thanks -new ideas to try!
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    spzjlb wrote: »
    spdaphne wrote: »

Wow - great tips! I’m going to stock up on seeds and incorporate coconut milk into my cooking. I love legumes, so will definitely try the chickpeas. Have you tried baking with chickpea flour? I have done so with success a few times as hubby is GF.

Thanks -new ideas to try!

Oh I'm glad it was helpful! Yes, I've had seeds before stocked in my kitchen but always favored nuts. But seeds have been great and make a great snack or addition to dishes. Don't forget chia and flaxseeds too! And I looooove the coconut milk. It's the best! I've used it if I didn't have avocado to put in my smoothies.

I don't think I have tried baking with chickpea flour. I have a bunch of other flours in my kitchen though, like coconut, almond, brown rice, tapioca, and other flours. I rarely use white flour anymore. When I make my banana muffins, it uses the brown rice flour and while it's a little on the grainy side, it's a great muffin. It's been my 1 of 2 go-to desserts (the other is a brown rice cake w/strawberries and coconut butter) over the past 6 weeks or so. I love trying new recipes with different flours.
  • Fatimahasnain
    Fatimahasnain Posts: 91 Member
    Great post
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 328 Member
    MFP says my most logged foods are bananas, hard boiled eggs, my protein powder/shake, carrots, and yogurt. Pretty basic haha. Love the coffee, avocado, and wine combo!

I'm surprised that low fat popcorn didn't make the list as my husband and I split a bag almost every night. Chips are a huge weakness of mine so popcorn has been a great alternative. I just make sure to drink water with it to help balance out the sodium. I second the tea comments as well. When I feel like an afternoon snack at work I'll make a mug of tea and that usually takes away any craving. I found a cinnamon hibiscus tea at Kroger (store brand I think) and it's amaaaaazing.

For meals, my husband loves to grill so he'll usually grill various meats on the weekends and we'll eat that during the week with salads or roasted vegetables. I'd like to eat more fish though, I love it but we just usually default to chicken.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    For me it’s my protein shake (every weekday), almond butter (yum), and applesauce (what can I say, I love applesauce).
This discussion has been closed.