Intermittent Fasting?

leonadixon
leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
Everyone is so quiet this week! So, since I have resigned myself to the fact that I am going to be extremely limited on what exercise I can do because of my bad knee, I have decided to put higher priority on my eating habits. Shocking right? I had entertained the idea of Intermittent Fasting before, but am trying 16:8 IF. No, not doing any Keto or anything like that, just trying to be better at sticking to my calories by consuming them only between 12-8. Has anyone else ever tried this?

Replies

• SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    I’ve never really understood the “why” behind IF. In my little mind I can’t wrap my head around HOW fasting itself helps one lose weight.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    I thought that lots of people like IF not because there’s a magic formula to lose weight but simply because it limits when you can eat. Therefore, all your calories are consumed in a narrower time frame, which feels less restrictive or easier to manage to some.

I think there’s a small scientific literature on IF and insulin response but I’ve not looked it up. So maybe it’s not strong evidence.

Can’t hurt to try IF, as we all have our own approaches to eating! Let us know how you find it @leonadixon
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    spzjlb wrote: »
    I thought that lots of people like IF not because there’s a magic formula to lose weight but simply because it limits when you can eat. Therefore, all your calories are consumed in a narrower time frame, which feels less restrictive or easier to manage to some.

I think there’s a small scientific literature on IF and insulin response but I’ve not looked it up. So maybe it’s not strong evidence.

Can’t hurt to try IF, as we all have our own approaches to eating! Let us know how you find it @leonadixon

Ahhhhh I see. Thanks for the info.
  • leonadixon
    I'm interested because of the small window of time to eat my allotted calories. Not trying to find any magic, just a method that I can do in a sustainable manner. So far, I'm loving it. I am actually staying under my calorie goal moat days so far!
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    My chiropractor does it I think a few days a week. He likes it and has lost weight. I personally don't want to eat during an 8 he window each day, but I would suggest doing research and balancing your meals so youvarent starving.
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    I was doing IF for around 6 months, it did make it easier to stay under goal. FWIW, I did an 11 hour eating window because the internet research I did suggested the 8 hour window wasn' t recommended/ as effective for women. It had something to do with hormones..
    The 11 hour window just meant I didn't eat until 9 pm ( I wake up @ 4 pm).
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    I do 5:2 - not because it's magic but because it helps me bank a lot of calories for the weekend :) so I have 2 days (usually monday and wednesday/thursday) where i eat about 500 net kcal, and then I dont have to make smart educated choices in the weekends
  • leonadixon
    spdaphne wrote: »
    My chiropractor does it I think a few days a week. He likes it and has lost weight. I personally don't want to eat during an 8 he window each day, but I would suggest doing research and balancing your meals so youvarent starving.

So far, I'm not "starving"....I get super hungry about a half hour to an hour before, but doing really well so far. I am struggling with balance though. I get pretty full, pretty fast which is surprising. I'm not incorporating enough fiber in (or so my bowels are telling me LOL), so I am definitely working on that balance. I am also finding that I am not consuming enough calories many days due to the short window and full sensation. My plan for this week to add more veggies and try to fill in more of the calories with that. I may need to revisit the window due to how full I feel so quickly. Overall, I am happy with the change so far!
This discussion has been closed.