Food pics on social media

7elizamae
7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
I wonder what y'all think about posting food photos on social media. Do you enjoy seeing others' food pictures? Dislike it? Do you post your own?

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Depends.. are they pretty or well photographed food items? Okay.. probably manageable.

Also, am I hungry when I see them? If they make me hungry when I stare at them, that tends to piss me off a little bit. I don't like images of food that make me long for the food they are portraying.

Mostly, I just don't want to see images of food in which effort was not put into making it presentable. Or hideous overuse of flash on food. It makes the food look terrible.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    I am passionate about my answer NO I do not gross.

I had to stop viewing photos of runny eggs images on my wall. I want to literally throw up every time I saw it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Photographing food is an art which not even the smartest phone has mastered.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Personally I find it a little bit pretentious, especially if they make a habit of it. Depends on who's posting it and for what reasons, tbh nobody really wants to see what other people are eating, who cares ?

I'm okay with it if it's a new recipe or something they tested out and are proud of their result *or* they at least have the decency to post a recipe so that the post is somewhat useful.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    I love to see food posts when people are travelling. It is fun to see different restaurants and different food items from all over the world.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    I like it. Just scrape that white goo off your meats, I think you know who you are.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Not every day but sometimes it is fun to see some food pictures.
    I almost never take pictures of food and post them. I find it annoying to do that.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    I believe that it's essential when posting a recipe, to view how it's suppose to look!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I don't mind seeing food that someone has prepared at home & is special in some way (pie with lattice crust, perfectly wrapped spring rolls), but I admit to giving side-eye to the people who are repeat offenders with their breakfast bowl instagram style shots.

Also don't mind people who share photos of "special" dinners out or unique experiences when they're trying something very new to them or food that isn't available in their area.

What I don't like is shots of half-eaten food, boring homestyle/diner food everyone has seen a billion times, or lots of pictures of meat. I do eat meat. But I don't like seeing photos of it even when they are professionally taken for a restaurant or something...much less Uncle Herb's steak at Longhorn...
  • grammagrape
    grammagrape Posts: 27 Member
    Food pictures are one of the stupider things on social media, but I get it. Food is at the center of all our social gatherings; big family Christmas dinners for example, but this goes back much much farther, to our caveman evolution--food sharing is acceptance into your circle. Food sharing is community. You only shared food with who you really cared about; your family, your clan, your tribe, your village, your church. Food sharing is species survival, and we evolved our food sharing like all our other evolutionary behaviors over 200,000 years. So sharing food on social media is as close as we can get in our dehumanized and distant social interactions of today-a modern anthropological nod to our ancestors parading the kill, then squatting around the fire and allowing others to share in the reward.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    More often than not, no I do not like it at all.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Personally I find it a little bit pretentious, especially if they make a habit of it. Depends on who's posting it and for what reasons, tbh nobody really wants to see what other people are eating, who cares ?

This pretty much sums up how I feel about it.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Food pictures are one of the stupider things on social media, but I get it. Food is at the center of all our social gatherings; big family Christmas dinners for example, but this goes back much much farther, to our caveman evolution--food sharing is acceptance into your circle. Food sharing is community. You only shared food with who you really cared about; your family, your clan, your tribe, your village, your church. Food sharing is species survival, and we evolved our food sharing like all our other evolutionary behaviors over 200,000 years. So sharing food on social media is as close as we can get in our dehumanized and distant social interactions of today-a modern anthropological nod to our ancestors parading the kill, then squatting around the fire and allowing others to share in the reward.

I agree with a lot of this, but...
    ...it isn't sharing food. It's showing and not sharing. Kind of the opposite of sharing, I think.
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    If it's your own creation, +1 to you.
    I can see it as an artistic creation with the amount of time added for visual presentation.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    I don't really care, unless it's pretentious "hey, I'm at so &so and I'm eating $600 worth of caviar and lobster."

Yeah, now flash your diamonds and talk about your Bentley too!! :smiley:
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Mr_L33 wrote: »
    81Katz wrote: »
    I don't really care, unless it's pretentious "hey, I'm at so &so and I'm eating $600 worth of caviar and lobster."

Yeah, now flash your diamonds and talk about your Bentley too!! :smiley:

What if i flashed my 28cent ramen because i bought a bently?

Ramen? Do people still eat that? *Turns nose up* :wink: