How many times did you quit?

I can’t even try to count!
This might be my 12th time re-signing up with MFP.

Hopefully this time I won’t quit.

How many times did it take you to stay with MFP and keep track of your food/drink intake? Did you end up successful? Still a ways to go?

I could use a little motivation. Thanks!

Replies

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,797 Member
    This is my 4th or 5th and this is the best I've stuck with it and been realistic about the loss and not getting defined by the number. Hope we both keep going! Good luck
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    How many times did you quit?

Never.

I joined MFP ... and lost the weight I wanted to lose to get back within my normal weight range again.

Like Orphia says, it's not about motivation. For me, it's just what I do when I want to lose weight ... just like how I have a shower and brush my teeth in the morning ... and go to work ... and walk at lunch ... etc. etc.

Maybe it helps that I've been logging every single kilometre I've cycled for the past 28 years. It's just habit.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    I have lost weight and gained weight since being very young. It is a cycle I am working very hard to break. I don't consider it quitting though. I have been on MFP at different times. I know it is the one real thing that works for me else I wouldn't come back to it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I don't know that I quit so much as I set it aside a few times... Sometimes for a really really long period of time. I guess you could say I quit. Maybe three times.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Similar to @wizzybeth. Depends on how you look at it. I don't consider it quitting as a conscious decision, but rather losing focus.

I did reach my goal... maintain for a couple of years... stop logging & weighing in for a couple of years... gain some back.

I re-committed to tracking and logging, and have been maintaining now for ~ 15 months. I believe for me the key is to keep tracking and logging so I don't slip back into old habits and let my weight sort of drift up.

• I haven’t ever consciously thrown in the towel and walked away, but I have simply stopped several times. A big part of my issue was lack of support in my offline life. This time my family is involved and I feel a lot more motivated to stick with it.

Good luck!
  • plain_lemon
    plain_lemon Posts: 11 Member
    Hey thanks you guys! You have all provided some great perspective and sort of help me reevaluate what it means to truly quit.

I suppose, in a sense, I also haven’t officially given up. It’s nearly impossible for me to just accept my current weight. I’ve tried! I try to tell myself that my body is healthy and fit and maybe just a bit overweight but still beautiful. Just to eat as I like since I’ve been stable at this weight for some years. But I always end up wishing I was back to my weight from my mid twenties. (Mid thirties now, and ~20lbs heavier. I’m 5’4” and range 161-163lbs)

I think what goes through my mind, when I get the urge to click “delete account,” and then “yes, I’m sure, delete it,” is that food logging isn’t a good fit for me. This thought is always after a few days of overeating, of course. No one thinks that when they’re succeeding! But basically I’ll decide I need an alternate method of dieting and convince myself that I overeat due to a heightened focus on a calorie goal, which I decide must be something that backfires leading to wanting to eat all the things.

...that sounds like psychological stuff, though.

I’ll try to keep with the app this time around and perhaps just remember that those days, the ones followed by regret from overeating, can be avoided but also can happen from time to time.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    (Mid thirties now, and ~20lbs heavier. I’m 5’4” and range 161-163lbs)

Hey, we’re the same age and height and my starting weight was around your current weight and I lost about 20 lbs!! You can do it!

Also I highly recommend getting into weight lifting (or some other form of fitness you enjoy) if you aren’t doing that already- it’s good motivation to get in shape and lose weight (you have better performance at a healthy BMI) and also it reshapes your body in an awesome way!
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    edited February 2018
    3 times. But this time I've been at it for 91 days and lost 21 pounds total. 8 pounds from before starting up again.
  • plain_lemon
    plain_lemon Posts: 11 Member
    Awww you guys are all so great! Thank you. I’m motivated to be more stubborn with this, and keep working at it even when I mess up. Just had some healthy food. Calories are looking pretty ok so far. Now to go move my body. :)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,218 Member
    Awww you guys are all so great! Thank you. I’m motivated to be more stubborn with this, and keep working at it even when I mess up. Just had some healthy food. Calories are looking pretty ok so far. Now to go move my body. :)

Great plan!
    Please don't forget that weight fluctuates and don't let natural fluctuations to discourage you. If you eat at an overall deficit (and you are sure in that by weighting your food) then the weight will drop sooner or later. Often later. Don't give up for no reason :)