Sprint triathalons

My husband signed me up for a sprint tri in May. I'm freaking out! I'm totally out of shape - just getting back into this. Is anyone else training for a tri? Tips and encouragement appreciated!!!!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2018
    Huh? Your husband just randomly signed you up?! I would not feel obligated to do it if I didn't want to.
    Do you currently swim, bike or run regularly? If not, and you're truly unfit, it's gonna be a big push.
    What are the distances for each leg?

Start swimming and do c25k. Join a local training group if there is one or check out your local Y, they often have training groups. Do try to get some coaching on open water swimming because it's quite a different experience.
    Some events allow teams of 2 or 3 people to enter with each person doing one or two legs of the race. Maybe you and hubby can do it as a team. You do the leg you're most comfortable with and he does the others. Have fun!

PS I think there's a tri group here on MFP.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm confused...your husband just randomly signed you up for a sprint tri?

If you haven't been doing anything fitness wise, that's a pretty big jump...hell, it's a pretty good jump for someone who just works out regularly but isn't training...I'd be freaking out too.

Why not start of with a 5K or something more reasonable? The sprint tri I trained for was a 5K run, 20K bike, and a 1 mile swim...I had already been exercising regularly for close to a year before I went into training for a sprint tri...I had already done a few 5Ks and 10Ks and 1/4 century rides and was swimming at least once per week before I put it altogether and started the training program. Actually putting all of that into a training program and following that program was a whole lot different than me just going out for a run or a ride or a swim.

I didn't end up doing it...injured about 2 weeks before the event.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    I love triathlons and recommend them to almost everyone. They're lots of fun, the tri community is pretty welcoming and all around it's addictive. But, do you have at least a base level of swim/bike/run? Heck, can you swim? You could probably make through a sprint tri but it might not be much fun. If this tri were in August I'd say whole heartedly go for it. But this might be too soon.

My favorite triathlon is geared towards beginners and has a 12 week training program. Look it over and assess whether it's something you can reasonably do.
  • jocan11112017
    jocan11112017 Posts: 21 Member
    Check your event. Maybe they have a Try a tri. They are typically 200m swim, 10k bike and 2,5 km run that may be less overwhelming than a sprint. That’s how I got started and loved it. I trained for a sprint last August and went with the Train Like a Mother program. It’s web based with a great Facebook private group + coaches. Good luck!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I've been active in triathlon for a number of years. I've done a bunch of races (20+), including five at the 70.3 distance. I'm currently working with a tri coach and we are training for IMMT in August.

Lots of good suggestions and questions from others above. I guess my first and most important question is: Do you WANT to participate in the Sprint tri in May? If not, then maybe investigate other alternatives for starters, such as a shorter race, a race later in the season, a 5k road race, etc.

If you DO want to enter the race, then other questions come to mind, such as: Do you have background in any of the 3 disciplines? By saying you are "out of shape", do you mean that you have no aerobic fitness in any of the three disciplines currently, or you're just not trained for the distances yet?

Assuming you plan to enter the race, you might find Joe Friel's book "Your First Triathlon: Race-Ready in 5 hours a week" very helpful. Friel is one of the country's most prominent endurance coaches.

His book assumes you know nothing, and chapter 1, titled "Your New Challenge" describes race distances, choosing and entering a first race, "Can You Do It?" and "A New Sport, or (or Three)" The book's subsequent chapters lay out training, the three disciplines, nutrition, support, followed by specific chapters on swimming biking running and finally a guide to Race Week. There is a 12 week beginner's training plan included.

If you have the basic knowledge already, (since you said you're "just getting back into this") then I'd guess that you're facing a lack of confidence and a training challenge. Those can be mitigated with a training plan and some support. A bunch of online resources exist, including "Beginner Triathlete" and other FB groups.

Finally, there are quite a few triathletes on MFP who can offer assistance. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask here or via a pm. Triathlon, while challenging, is also very rewarding and I've found the tri community to be extremely welcoming and supportive.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Do you want to do it?

There are a bunch of free training plans out there if you just google it. If you can’t swim that will be the hardest part. A lot of it is honestly more mental than physical: getting over the, “I’m not a runner” defeatism, the fear of open water swimming, the creation of imagined constraints of what you are and aren’t capable of.

You’ll be amazed at how easily you can progress and build your endurance if you educate yourself about training, follow a good training program, and are consistent in your workouts.
  • hermajestee
    hermajestee Posts: 28 Member
    Oh wow - I didn't expect the reaction I've received. I absolutely want to do it. A sprint triathalon is a short tri - it's like a quarter mile swim, 10 mile bike and 5k. I have always been athletic & the swimming & biking are no problem. I fear the running. I think the c25k program might work for me. I appreciate the concern! My husband is super awesome though. He would never push me to do something I don't want to do - but he's doing one & I'm excited to do this with him.

I do love the suggestions though - thank you! I'm going to look for the tri group on here & see if I can get some more training suggestions.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Oh wow - I didn't expect the reaction I've received. I absolutely want to do it. A sprint triathalon is a short tri - it's like a quarter mile swim, 10 mile bike and 5k. I have always been athletic & the swimming & biking are no problem. I fear the running. I think the c25k program might work for me. I appreciate the concern! My husband is super awesome though. He would never push me to do something I don't want to do - but he's doing one & I'm excited to do this with him.

I do love the suggestions though - thank you! I'm going to look for the tri group on here & see if I can get some more training suggestions.

I think if you are ok with the swim and the bike, you should be ok to finish the tri. I did one as my first fitness goal as an adult after losing a significant amount of weight. I was in decent shape and could do the swim distance (mine was open water, which was a challenge), I could bike the distance no problem. My problem is running, I don't enjoy it and not really supposed to do it (hip surgery), so I walked most of it and finished under the time I set for myself. I never trained to do all three in one day, but I did do 2 sport blocks.
  • cwolfman13

I think it was the "out of shape" comment that had people concerned because it makes it sound like you're basically coming off the couch and attempting a sprint tri in a couple of months. A sprint-tri is a shorter race, but it would be a huge stretch for someone coming off the couch with no background in any of the disciplines.
  • Djproulx
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think it was the "out of shape" comment that had people concerned because it makes it sound like you're basically coming off the couch and attempting a sprint tri in a couple of months. A sprint-tri is a shorter race, but it would be a huge stretch for someone coming off the couch with no background in any of the disciplines.

My thoughts echo what @cwolfman13 notes above. Sprints are very doable, but can be a big step up for someone who is starting at ground zero.

Sounds like you're in a great spot, though, given your swim/bike experience and a husband to train with you. Have fun doing the training.

My 2 cents: On race day, ride the bike split you should do, not the bike split you could do. ;)

• KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Doing my first sprint tri in May as well. I'm really enjoying the training so far -- adding swimming into my bike+run routine hasn't been as scary as I thought it would be. (I may change my tune after the first open water swim! LOL)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member

"Short" ;) . It's still a 60-120 minute race
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I've completed sprint tris in the past and you definitely need to get into a pretty good training plan beforehand. You have two months so I'd say look up some programs where you are training at least 4-5 days a week and stick with it. The worst is the bike to run... but you got this!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I'm glad to hear that you bike & swim are good, 12 weeks to prepare for the 5K is very doable (worst case scenario you do a walk/run 5K or even walk it) As part of your training I would definitely recommend incorporating brick workouts into the plan (running right after cycling) even for the short course triathlons your legs need to get used to running after the bike - don't be surprised if they feel a little rubbery at first.

You should also watch some of the videos on youtube re: transitions. As this is your first I wouldn't recommend buying tri specific shoes yet (they're intended to be worn without socks.....putting socks on after the swim can be a pain in the neck) but rehearse your transitions, know exactly how you're going to lay out your gear etc, it's one less thing to stress about.

You should also be forewarned, triathon is a great sport and sprints lead to Olympics and beyond (for some people.....I haven't done a 70.3 yet and haven't really thought about a full iron distance but you never know....)
  • cwolfman13
    scorpio516 wrote: »

"Short" ;) . It's still a 60-120 minute race

Not short...shorter. Like shorter than an Olympic or Ironman or 1/2 or full century or marathon.
  • Djproulx
    You should also be forewarned, triathon is a great sport and sprints lead to Olympics and beyond (for some people.....I haven't done a 70.3 yet and haven't really thought about a full iron distance but you never know....)

^^ :)
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Well, then ok, do it.
  • pie_suth
    pie_suth Posts: 1 Member
    I’ve done a couple sprint tri’s but now signed up for half iron in September ( including a wee jaunt up Ben Nevis as the run..
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 953 Member
    edited April 2018
    My husband found a "Rookie" Triathlon for me to try in May. I turn 60 this year and it seems like a good place to start. I have been swimming all winter and riding bike 15-25 miles. I walk dogs 3-5 miles so similar to you I need to try walking/running next two weeks. I have a sprint Triathlon in August that I hope by then I can be running.