How do you feel in your 40's?

I have quite a bit of weight to lose and one of the things that keeps me motivated is how good and energetic I will feel when I lose the weight. I keep thinking I can get back to how I felt in my 20's. Am I completely delusional? Can a person in their 40's get back to the condition of a 20/30 year old?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm 43...I'm in pretty good shape fitness wise...at least as good if not better conditioned than when I was in my late 20s. I'll likely never be in as good of condition as I was in my early 20s because at that time I had been a competitive athlete most of my life and I was in the Marines.

I have zero desire to weigh what I did in my 20s...especially early 20s when I was a bean. I weigh about 15 Lbs more than I did in my late 20s/30 and I'm just as lean...just more muscle mass.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    im 40 and feel better than i did when i was 20.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    I have quite a bit of weight to lose and one of the things that keeps me motivated is how good and energetic I will feel when I lose the weight. I keep thinking I can get back to how I felt in my 20's. Am I completely delusional? Can a person in their 40's get back to the condition of a 20/30 year old?

I've lost 40 lbs so far...probably have another 20 lbs to go. I have been working out doing strength and cardio the whole time, and I feel a lot better than I did 4 months ago :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    I don't know about a specific age, and I question the clarity of anyone's memory of what they felt like physically decades earlier to be able to make an absolutely accurate comparisons based on "feelings," but I don't see anything delusional about thinking that you ought to be able to be in comparable physical condition in your 40s as in your 20s or 30s, especially if you're mainly talking about energy levels. I mean, you weren't a world-class athlete in your 20s in some sport that people generally peak at by their early 20s, and now you're hoping to return to the sport and compete at the top level in your 40s, are you? I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call even that delusional, so long as you recognized the long odds against you.

That said, I lost about 15% of my bodyweight in my early 50s, going from a BMI in the "severely obese" (class II obese) to a BMI at the low end of class I obese, and it made a huge difference in how I felt.

I could tie my shoes again without losing my breath because of all the rolls of fat I was compressing. I could squat down to the ground to pick something up and stand back up without needing something to hold onto. I felt comfortable again doing yoga positions that had felt too difficult for years.

I did find things like walking up esacalators easier, too, but I think that came more from being more active and regularly walking up, rather than a direct result of weight loss.

I certainly felt like I had a lot more energy. If I'm honest, no, not as much energy as in my 20s, but a lot more than in my mid to late 40s when I was putting on that additional weight. I feel maybe like I have as much energy in short bouts as I did in my 20s, but that I could keep it up longer, end up less tired, and get by with less sleep in my 20s than I can now.

And if you find that for you, it only dials the energy clock back five or 10 years, not 20, isn't that still worth working toward?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    I am probably fitter and stronger (can run further and lift more weight) than I was in my 20s (I suffered with EDs half of my life), mentally tougher too. So you might not feel the same as when you were younger, for a number of reasons, some of which might be really positive. The aches and pains are more frequent, but other than that I feel younger than my 43 years...
  • drisley77
    drisley77 Posts: 11 Member
    I don't feel too much different than when I was in my 30's really. A bit more "calm" as I did suffer from anxiety my whole life. I was able to get from being a chubby 205 lbs down to a 9% bf 175 lbs this year though. I'm in better shape now than I ever was in my 20's and 30's and I wasn't in bad shape then.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    My 40s were so long ago, I can’t remember.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I'm 67 and, after 18 months of weight loss, strength training and conditioning, I am in better shape now than I was in my 40's.

I remember my 40's well because that's when I was in the police academy and started working as an LEO.

I was the oldest cadet in my class at 46 but was ranked in the top 10 in physical agilityin a class of 40+ cadets composed mainly of 20-30 yr olds.

Nonetheless, I weigh less, have less BF and am stronger now than I was then and I think I could compete as well (if not better) now than then.

I have some unsightly (to me) loose skin due to weight loss and/or old age but otherwise look far younger than my years, which I attribute genetics and/or my weight loss program.

So, if I could compete w/a bunch of 20-30 yr olds in my 40's (and can achieve a level of fitness in my 60's comparable to when I was in my 40's), I don't see why someone in their 40's can't achieve a level of fitness comparable to s/he was in his/her 20-30's.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    49 and feel like I am 30. But when I was 30ish I was overweight and felt like crap so I imagine this what 30ish would feel like. :smile:

I will add even though menopause is approaching (:cry:) I can imagine I would be having a much worse go of it if I had not lost weight and started exercising.
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    I'm scratching 45 and, honestly? While I have some weight to lose, I feel better than I ever have? I may have been "thinner" in my 20s, but I am so much more focused on health and strength than ever that I feel like I LOOK better. Even more important? I have the wisdom to know that looks matter less than confidence. When I hit 40 I tried to get more focused on fitness but I was not ready. At about 42 I got serious and I realized that while it is hard to reach goals, it is not as hard as I made it out to be. At nearly 45, I can say I truly respect my body and it has a lot of GOOD life in her yet!