Burning sensation in stomach

Has anybody else experienced bad acid reflux just from cutting calories and eating less? Mine was so bad I had to take Prilosec for a few weeks. It’s a terrible feeling of a stomach burn and I know it’s from not eating as much as I use to.

Replies

• Has anybody else experienced bad acid reflux just from cutting calories and eating less? Mine was so bad I had to take Prilosec for a few weeks. It’s a terrible feeling of a stomach burn and I know it’s from not eating as much as I use to.

I actually had this the other day. It hurt so bad I legit almost cried. Once I drank some ice water and ate dinner it went away but damn did it scare me because I wasn't sure what was causing it.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,122 Member
    I've experienced the opposite as well. The more I eat, the worse my reflux is. As I've eaten less and lost some weight, it has practically eliminated itself, except when I eat tomato-based sauces or too much beer.
  • candacebattle2012
    candacebattle2012 Posts: 61 Member
    I’m not exactly sure what’s causing the burn but when it hits it’s pure torture! The only way to stop it is to go to bed or take a Prilosec.

• StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hmm. Maybe look back over your food diary and see if anything stands out. Prilosec is Omeprazole, right? If so, I believe you are supposed to take that daily for a specified period of time, not as a short-term solution. Maybe try taking every day for 14 days (which is what I believe the directions say...double-check), and then if it doesn't get better, I would see your doctor. Sometimes, the heartburn can be a symptom of another issue.

For short-term relief, I have always used Pepcid Complete, which tends to have a more immediate effect than Omerprazole.
  • StevefromMichigan
    edited February 2018
    Also, the fact that you are experiencing the burn in your stomach vs your esophagus is concerning.

I had something similar as a kid that was so bad I ended up in the hospital for it. Can't remember what they gave me, but whatever it was, it cleared right up and hasn't come back since.

The diagnosis was definitely too much acid in the stomach, eating away at the lining, if I recall correctly. That was a looong time ago :)
  • StevefromMichigan
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I've experienced the opposite as well. The more I eat, the worse my reflux is. As I've eaten less and lost some weight, it has practically eliminated itself, except when I eat tomato-based sauces or too much beer.

Yes, mine has practically disappeared as well.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    Have you told your doctor? I've never experienced this.

I've had reflux when I was over-weight, but not burning stomach.

It could be something serious...like an ulcer...or who knows what else.

My grandmother died of a ruptured stomach due to an ulcer. She ate Rolaids like they were candy for as long as I knew her.
  • candacebattle2012
    Yes I went to urgent care for it and they prescribed me omerprazole. I took it for like 3 weeks and the burn went away...but now I take it just every once in a while and it’s starting to come back again. It’s definitely felt in the stomach not esophagus...your scaring me saying it might be something serious.
  • MrsHollyhocks
    MrsHollyhocks Posts: 1 Member
    Here are the warning signs that it is something serious:

dark, tar-like stool
    sudden very sharp abdominal pain
    vomiting blood

It's easy to make an appointment for a scope. They'll take a lighted camera and check you out. At least it will rest your mind.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Yes, I have experienced this from time to time. Chewing a couple TUMS takes care of it the most quickly.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Yes I went to urgent care for it and they prescribed me omerprazole. I took it for like 3 weeks and the burn went away...but now I take it just every once in a while and it’s starting to come back again. It’s definitely felt in the stomach not esophagus...your scaring me saying it might be something serious.

Emergency and urgent care typically only deal with the immediate, then recommend you follow up with your primary physician. I would follow up with your doctor if it is still bothering you.
  • StevefromMichigan
    edited February 2018
    Also, no need to get scared yet. It could just be really bad heartburn. I had heartburn one time so bad I had my wife call EMS because I thought I was having a heart attack.

Still, you need to rule out other issues. If it is just really bad acid reflux, you may just need to be on omerprazole for an extended period, but that's something you and your doctor should decide. Some people have to basically take it for life.

Hope that helps.
  • candacebattle2012
    Ok. Thanks guys for the advice! I will definitely have it checked out again this time more thoroughly. I get paranoid when it comes to health problems lol
  • candacebattle2012
    Thanks Steve! Appreciate it
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    could also be gastritis or h pylori. with h pylori eating can make it feel better for a short time. I produce too much acid so I have to take 2 meds a PPI and a H2 blocker. see a dr before trying to treat it at home. gastritis is nasty and painful.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Thanks Steve! Appreciate it

No problem!
  • candacebattle2012
    When I eat I never feel the burn. It only happens when I’m hungry. But because I’m not eating as much as I use to I get it a lot
  • StevefromMichigan
    If there is a lot of acid in your stomach, the food is probably helping absorb some of it.