how many mintues of cardio???

How many mintues of cardio should one be doing in a week??? I want to see the fat melt off?? I know running is good but I don't like to do it so I've decided to mix it up. I try to do 120 to 150 a week...

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    There's no 100% correct answer to this question. You should try to vary your minutes each week and see what works best for you, personally.
  • I try to do 120 a day. Lol.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    I've always heard you should do 3-5 30 mins cardio sessions per week. I do 5 30 mins sessions a week. Weight isn't melting off but it's coming off :smile: Make sure to mix in some weight training because muscle burns fat more quickly :smile: Good luck!!
  • Well, I don't know what you "should" do but, i do about 180-250 per week.
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    I shoot for 30 to 45 min of cardio and 15 to 30 min of strength training 4 to 5 days a week. Some weeks it is less, some weeks it is more. You need to find a groove that works for you. It you push to workout 7 days a week you might be setting yourself up to fail, so figure out what you can and are willing to do.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I believe current medical guidelines say to strive for 150 hours a week. I did read an interesting article yesterday that said that it's better to get this throughout the day, rather than all at once if you are sedentary the rest of the day. For example, if you have a desk job, do an hour of cardio a day, and then spend the rest of the day sitting you are not doing as much good as if you did three 20 min cardio session spaced throughout the day. The article was about cardio health, not weight loss. But since it pretty much described me to a T, I guess I need to get up more often.
  • if you are going to add some weight training make sure you do it before you do your cardio . it will get your muscles firing and the fat will burn off at a faster rate. as for how much cardio to do ,thats up to individual.
  • Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    bump
  • Thanks for the great tips...I will try the muscle training first and see if it increases fat burning.......I was always afraid to do it first , as I thought it might be better to warm up the muscles first , doing cardio before weight training.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Hi

Interesting thread :)
    I am new here myself and do a fair bit of cycling but not much else! Doing something like 85 mins per day Mon-Fri and longer on one of the weekend days. I have a lot to lose though, so really need to either start suplementing it with something else or stay off the pies, big time :D

SD
  • gsnap30
    gsnap30 Posts: 67
    thanks for the replies back! All is very helpful. I have been doing strength training 2 to 3 times a week but lack the cardio sometimes.....:( will be working on that