How To Eat Later Dinners?

Replies

• londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Here in Spain we often eat dinner at 10pm or later. The trick is eating a mid morning snack and a large, late lunch at 2pm / 3pm.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I eat dinner late if I go to the gym straight after work... We don't get home til about 730, then by the time we've unpacked, and cooked, it's 8 or even later. Dessert is 930ish.

Sometimes we eat early (6ish), then go to the gym, and have dessert when we get home.

Keeping busy helps!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    early eater here - home from work at 4pm and dinner is done by 4:15 or 4:30 at the latest (already prepped from the weekend). when I hear people saying they eat at 9 or 10 I can't even imagine - but that's just never been my routine.

still waiting to hear from the OP what they hope to achieve by later eating??
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I eat dinner late if I go to the gym straight after work... We don't get home til about 730, then by the time we've unpacked, and cooked, it's 8 or even later.

This is how it is in my house, too. Tonight my son has lacrosse practice from 2-4 and ski practice from 7-9 (and hopefully he'll do his homework at some point, too). My husband and I will probably go to the gym somewhere in between. Dinner will be late for everyone and it won't be a family dinner. One good thing about eating that late is that I usually don't have much of an appetite because I don't like to go to bed on a full stomach.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    londoneye wrote: »
    Here in Spain we often eat dinner at 10pm or later. The trick is eating a mid morning snack and a large, late lunch at 2pm / 3pm.

Serious question - when do you go to work/school? I can't imagine having a 10pm dinner when everyone has to be up at 6.30am for school or work.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Serious question - when do you go to work/school? I can't imagine having a 10pm dinner when everyone has to be up at 6.30am for school or work.

I'm not in Spain and we don't have a 10 pm dinner, but there are often times when we finish eating about 8:45 or 9 pm. It just happens to work out that way sometimes.

My husband is up about 6.30 am (he goes to bed soon after dinner), but I don't usually get up till about 8 am and I start work about 9 am.

I would be interested in hearing how it's done in Spain. :)

• Machka9
    edited March 2018
    still waiting to hear from the OP what they hope to achieve by later eating??

Yes.

@cee134 ... what is your motivation for this question?

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member

I often eat dinner at 9 or later on busy nights and it doesn’t impact my 5:30 am wake time for exercise and the morning routine. Why would it?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I often eat dinner at 9 or later on busy nights and it doesn’t impact my 5:30 am wake time for exercise and the morning routine. Why would it?

Same here.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member

That wouldn’t leave me with enough sleep unless I’m eating at 9 and going to bed immediately after (in bed by 9:30). I can’t even imagine eating later than 10pm, especially with clean up and things to do before bed. But I need 8 hours or I’m tired all day.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    There are so many variables. Everyones schedule is different. Kids, no kids. Work schedule. Preference. How much sleep some people want, must have, dont get. Some people eat and go straight to bed others want a few hours after dinner to unwind. gym, other commitments etc etc etc.

We eat dinner at 5:30. Kids are in bed by 8:30 when I leave for work. I sleep from 10am-2:50pm. Go get the kids. So in a few hours Im hungry and they are hungry since they eat lunch at school at noon. Hubby gets home at 5:30 so thats what works us.
  • Francl27

Adults need at least 7 hours of sleep. Most nights I'm in bed at 9.30pm and still hardly get that, it can take a while to fall asleep, might have to wake up to pee in the middle of the night (and try to fall asleep again after that)... I guess you could be one of the lucky ones who sleep deeply and without interruption though.

I can get acid reflux if I go to bed too soon after eating too though, so I could never do that.
  • Machka9

Adults need at least 7 hours of sleep. Most nights I'm in bed at 9.30pm and still hardly get that, it can take a while to fall asleep, might have to wake up to pee in the middle of the night (and try to fall asleep again after that)... I guess you could be one of the lucky ones who sleep deeply and without interruption though.

I can get acid reflux if I go to bed too soon after eating too though, so I could never do that.

But we don't always get 7 hours of sleep. That can be a bit of a luxury.

I eat late, then I'm busy all evening and usually get try to get to bed by 1 am ... but it is often a bit later than that. Sometimes as late as 2 am. I do try really hard not to go to bed later than 2 am, but once in a while ...

I'm asleep seconds after my head hits the pillow (thank you, exercise!)

However, I'm up once or twice in the night (thank you, tea)

However, I'm asleep again as I climb back into bed (thank you, exercise and general exhaustion)

And I'm up anywhere between 7 and 8 am. :)
  • Francl27
    edited March 2018
    Machka9 wrote: »

I eat late, then I'm busy all evening and usually get try to get to bed by 1 am ... but it is often a bit later than that. Sometimes as late as 2 am. I do try really hard not to go to bed later than 2 am, but once in a while ...

However, I'm asleep again as I climb back into bed (thank you, exercise and general exhaustion)

But they should try to get it.... For, you know, health.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    I have a smaller lunch, and I tend to have a snack around 4pm... I then like to eat dinner as my main meal of the day around 8pm, if I eat too early I get hungry again before I go to bed because I rarely sleep before 1am
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    deleted

• Machka9

But they should try to get it.... For, you know, health.

Some people seem to be able to get by on less. Sleep requirements vary between people.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018

And totally off topic but ... @Machka9 I picked up on your comment about getting up to go to toilet during the night and just want you to realise you CAN train yourself to NOT get up during the night for a pee. I and lots of other friends of mine who I shared the solution with have done just that. A number of years ago a doctor was speaking about this subject at a well woman type of meeting - she was the one who said we could re-train our brains/bodies. What you do is when you wake up in the middle of the night and feel the urge to go you don't give in to it. Now granted, it can feel really hard to stick to, and you will feel as if you could burst, but trust me, if you do that for 2 or 3 nights in a row you will re-train your brain to not wake you up for a pee. It works I promise! :smile: Its been around 6 years since I did that and I have never had to get up once during the night since to go to the loo (and I drink coffee/tea in copious amounts).
  • Machka9

@Machka9 I picked up on this comment and just want you to realise you CAN train yourself to NOT get up during the night for a pee. I and lots of other friends of mine who I shared the solution with have done just that. A number of years ago a doctor was speaking about this subject at a well woman type of meeting - she was the one who said we could re-train our brains/bodies. What you do is when you wake up in the middle of the night and feel the urge to go you don't give in to it. Now granted, it can feel really hard to stick to, and you will feel as if you could burst, but trust me, if you do that for 2 or 3 nights in a row you will re-train your brain to not wake you up for a pee. It works I promise! :smile: Its been around 6 years since I did that and I have never had to get up once during the night since to go to the loo (and I drink coffee/tea in copious amounts).

The problem is ... I really do have to go, and go a lot. I have been tired enough to sleep through it on occasion, and that is not a good thing. I don't just feel like I could burst. Fortunately, so far I've always made it just in the nick of time ... and then it's like Niagara Falls.
  • Francl27
    And totally off topic but ... @Machka9 I picked up on your comment about getting up to go to toilet during the night and just want you to realise you CAN train yourself to NOT get up during the night for a pee. I and lots of other friends of mine who I shared the solution with have done just that. A number of years ago a doctor was speaking about this subject at a well woman type of meeting - she was the one who said we could re-train our brains/bodies. What you do is when you wake up in the middle of the night and feel the urge to go you don't give in to it. Now granted, it can feel really hard to stick to, and you will feel as if you could burst, but trust me, if you do that for 2 or 3 nights in a row you will re-train your brain to not wake you up for a pee. It works I promise! :smile: Its been around 6 years since I did that and I have never had to get up once during the night since to go to the loo (and I drink coffee/tea in copious amounts).

That's interesting... but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I always get dreams when I need to pee - like I'm somewhere and look everywhere for a bathroom or whatnot (it can get REALLY weird). I'm not sure I could train THAT part of my brain, Plus I have issues some times of the month when I drop water weight and can pee a LOT in a short amount of time... I'd probably pee the bed, honestly.

Which reminds me, I totally forgot to mention the TMI 'OMG I NEED TO GET UP I'M LEAKING' fun times at 'that' time of the month.

I never assume I'm going to get even 7 hours of sleep even if I go to bed at 9.30pm, lol (I do have a cat and dogs and a very snory husband who sleeps with a very loud pap machine and tends to kick in his sleep).