Is it possible to not gain weight during Peri-Menopause/Menopause?

LivingtheLeanDream
LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
edited March 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hi ladies,

(I didn't know which category was the best to post this topic in!)

I'm 48 and as yet have no symptoms but a friend lately has told me how she recently gained a stone (14lbs) in a few months because of Peri-Menopause. She maintains her diet has not changed in any way. She was probably slightly underweight before so 14lbs isn't very noticeable on her but I know personally I wouldn't want to gain at all. (I've been at my happy goal range now for close to 5 years). This friend isn't someone I'm close enough to for me to ask more about her eating habits. Personally I would have loved to have heard exactly what she ate in a day to guage what her calorie intake was like. (most people around me don't know that I'm really into counting calories and that's the way I prefer it). I'd like to think her gain has only come because she might be less active or eating a bit more than she had been previously.

I would love feedback on those who are going through or have been through menopause on your experiences.

I'm wondering will counting calories and exercising as I do now be enough to keep me maintaining my weight throughout the change of life.

Thanks in advance :)

Ruth

Replies

• LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    I haven't gained. In fact I'm in better shape now than I was 5 years ago! I'm 51, and am just starting perimenopause. I've lost wait since January 2017, through tracking and making good choices---about 16 pounds, or just over a stone. :-)
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    I am 59. I think just like everything else the answer is sadly - everyone is different. You are so active and keep an eye on everything I doubt you will have any issues, but once you start you might have different meds or something or stop being so active or not sleep as well so there are just too many parameters to worry about before it happens. For me except for bone loss, night sweats and aging skin there aren't a lot of symptoms. Peri is odd because you become so irregular that it's hard to track scale weight accurately. You might have one period in 4 months but it's a doozy. I have noticed that most of the meds to help have a possible side effect of "weight gain or FLU like symptoms"
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Thanks ladies, hearing these few replies already gives me heart :smile:

I know it's senseless fretting about what may happen I know I'll be determined to keep my normal routine and see a doc if I need meds (I hear the patches are really good.)
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    I've maintained. Yes, it's work - but it's always been work - I honestly don't see that it's any harder. I'm in menopause now - been in maintenance for about 5 years - started on MFP when I was in peri-menopause. Not a fun time. Still getting some hot flashes, but they've greatly diminished. Keep up with counting calories, logging, and working out, and you should be just fine.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    I've lost weight pretty easy, both in perimenopause and menopause. So yes, I would have been able to maintain my weight. Unfortunately I didn't LOL. But that was on me.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Keep up with your tracking and you'll know for sure if any weight gain is due to a change in eating habits or a decrease in your metabolism. 14 pounds won't just show up overnight!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I am 46 and currently in perimenopause. It is tough but not impossible to maintain weight loss. I have been working on building some more muscle definition so at first a few additional pounds (came on gradually over the course of a year) scared me a bit BUT my clothes still fit the same (ok, not capris because my calf muscles are a little bigger!) ...

After a while, you can tell when your body is in one of those valleys or mountains (as your hormones ebb and flow) ... I know when I am ramped up and have irregular periods and hot flashes and night sweats, my body tends to stay bloated a bit and I have to work harder to maintain and even get through a workout. However, when things chill out, I experience that "whoosh" that others talk about and I lose 2-4 pounds literally overnight, getting rid of the bloating feeling, not unlike regular menstrual cycles.

As someone else said, I am in better shape during perimenopause than I was before. While I may feel my aches and pains a little more, I also feel better with the workout as opposed to skipping. I just keep counting those calories and still able to eat my beloved donuts or chips and queso ...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Keep up with your tracking and you'll know for sure if any weight gain is due to a change in eating habits or a decrease in your metabolism. 14 pounds won't just show up overnight!

Thanks, and thats true, a gain like that won't be quick. I'm still a daily weigher and know my body's fluctuations well so I'd be first to spot something.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Everyone is different. I lost a lot of weight while I was in perimenopause. For about four years I would only bleed one day a year, or about a half hour so it was a non-issue. At 52 I was done. Menopause was easy for me, no night sweats, only an occasional warm flash. I gained some weight, but that was because of lifestyle changes (moves, travel), so I was exercising a lot less. When I went back to exercising consistently and being more careful with my food intake, the weight came off easily.

A lot of the weight gain at menopause is simply that most women do less activity as they get older. It can also be a stressful time, with a lot of changes to home, finances, family, health, etc. so if there is a tendency to emotionally eat, weight will increase. Sometimes thyroid issues can make it hard to lose weight until the meds are adjusted properly. Some meds can cause weight gain.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    I'm so glad to get all this positive feedback! :smile:

@coachJen71 you went through the change early if 71 in your name is anything to go by. Huge congrats on losing a huge amount of weight, I was 150lbs when I started my weight loss journey for one thing so you lost a whole person! Sorry to hear about your arthritis :/
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited March 2018
    I just started full menopause this year at 55 years of age and though it is harder it is possible to lose weight. I have lost 25 pounds already. If I can do it, you can too. It is not as easy as when I was 27 and lost over 100 and something pounds but it is very much doable.
  • msmith404040
    msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
    I'm 54 and had a hysterectomy last year. I've lost 40 pounds easily since then just by making sure I don't go over my calories and no exercise. Don't worry :)
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I'm so glad to get all this positive feedback! :smile:

@coachJen71 you went through the change early if 71 in your name is anything to go by. Huge congrats on losing a huge amount of weight, I was 150lbs when I started my weight loss journey for one thing so you lost a whole person! Sorry to hear about your arthritis :/

Thanks, Ruthee! Yes, I didn't know it at the time but I started going through the change in my mid-30s and finished in the last year or two. (Thought it was mostly just unstable bipolar issues.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I lost 30+ lbs during peri-menopause. I had a LOT of water weight fluctuations which made knowing whether I was losing fat a little hard to determine, but I just stuck with it even if the scale wasn't showing a loss.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    I've lost all of my weight while battling hot flashes. It can sometimes be tough to continue exercising when it's sometimes a trigger for me. So I guess in that regard it can be more difficult. However, it doesn't directly cause you to gain or fail to lose weight.