Saxenda does not work

Replies

• Pilatuna
    Pilatuna Posts: 8 Member
    I am on my 4 week of Saxenda and now at 3.0 dose. No reduction of my appetite. No weight lost. Very disappointed. It seems to work for most people. Does not seem to be working for me.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2018
    Pilatuna wrote: »
    I am on my 4 week of Saxenda and now at 3.0 dose. No reduction of my appetite. No weight lost. Very disappointed. It seems to work for most people. Does not seem to be working for me.

I wonder if the OP has finally found success.

Dead thread... sigh.

• Pilatuna

if you arent losing weight you arent eating in a deficit of calories. that can be done without the meds
    I did it without the meds few years back (counting calories and exercising) only to gain it back and then some. Was hoping that Saxenda was going to help me but seems I am a non responder to Saxenda.

if you arent losing weight you arent eating in a deficit of calories. that can be done without the meds

• Pilatuna
    I am on my 5 week of Saxenda, not significant reduction of my appetite nor significant weight loss either.
  • k8andchr1smom
    k8andchr1smom Posts: 72 Member

[/quote]

Hunger and nausea are side effects, as to which I've experienced none, making me think my batch or rx is even valid. The reason I'm taking it is that it allows your body to process sugars and fats more efficiently, clearly what my body is not doing now. I was given a sample kit from my doctor and I'm thinking since I'm the only one out there with apparent metabolic efficiency issues that hasn't had any side effects, I may have been given a bad dose. I'm really only interested in the comments re-Saxenda. Thank you.[/quote]

I'm a Nurse Practitioner and prescribe medications. Everyone doesn't get every side effect. In fact the vast majority of people don't get side effects. Someone upthread asked if you had contacted the manufacturer. If you believe your meds are faulty I'd do that.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

Hunger and nausea are side effects, as to which I've experienced none, making me think my batch or rx is even valid. The reason I'm taking it is that it allows your body to process sugars and fats more efficiently, clearly what my body is not doing now. I was given a sample kit from my doctor and I'm thinking since I'm the only one out there with apparent metabolic efficiency issues that hasn't had any side effects, I may have been given a bad dose. I'm really only interested in the comments re-Saxenda. Thank you.[/quote]

I'm a Nurse Practitioner and prescribe medications. Everyone doesn't get every side effect. In fact the vast majority of people don't get side effects. Someone upthread asked if you had contacted the manufacturer. If you believe your meds are faulty I'd do that.

[/quote]

Contact the manufacturer because you don't have any side effects? That will go over well.
  • jennytschlafer
    jennytschlafer Posts: 1 Member
    I have been using a sample of Saxenda given to me by my doctor to tryout. I have been on it for 5 days and have lost 5 pounds so far. I have 40lbs left that I have to lose. I take it at night before bed. It actually makes me sleep great. I haven’t had any side effects yet, except that it makes me tired, which is great. I do 45min.-1 hour of exercise at least 4 days a week and have been eating very little. I’m not hungry. I just make sure though to have breakfast lunch and dinner and stay below 1400 calories a day.
    I do think with any weight loss medication you still have to do the work. You can’t just sit around doing the same thing you were before. The medication is prescribed as a tool to help with the process. I believe Saxenda is helping me.
    I have an under active thyroid so it’s very hard to get results even on thyroid medication. I have to really watch it and make sure I’m active and eating right. The 5lbs lost so far is a great motivation to keep at it until I am back to a healthy weight.
    I am 5’4
    Starting weight: 191.7
    Current weight: 186.4
  • keithsdalton
    keithsdalton Posts: 1 Member
    Is Saxenda expensive?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member
    Is Saxenda expensive?

I don't know if it's covered health insurance in some states/countries but in Australia it isn't and I believe it costs about $400AUD per month.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Is Saxenda expensive?
    Is Saxenda expensive?

I don't know if it's covered health insurance in some states/countries but in Australia it isn't and I believe it costs about $400AUD per month.

Exceptionally expensive.. off the shelf price in the US is roughly $1200/month. My insurance covered it after my doctor called and got a pre-auth. With the mfgr savings card, I pay $25 per month.

Many people get it out of a shop in Canada for about $600/mo.

It absolutely helped me... it got me eating less, with counting/measuring/logging... it's just another tool to help in weight loss, it does none of the work for you. But I've lost 80lbs.

SW: 237
    CW: 159 (I've gained 2lbs on purpose with weight training recently). Was down to 157.
  • tangleshotgun
    tangleshotgun Posts: 1 Member
    Wow I have never seen so many answers that have nothing to do with your question. People really want to sound like experts, don’t they?

If I’m hearing you right, you are saying that the drug doesn’t seem to reduce your hunger, which it is intended to do, thereby helping you achieve that deficit you need.

Same here. I’ve only been on it for a week. My endocrinologist explained to me that my hypoglycaemia is being caused by abnormalities in the function of my pancreas and this causes intense hunger and makes it almost impossible to lose weight. There is a metabolic effect too so simple calorie counting isn’t the same for everyone. Huge limitation of the approach used by calorie and macro counters. At the end of the day you have to solve what works for you, and just shut out everyone else.

But back to the question you actually asked. I have been on this only a little over a week. At first it seriously reduced my hunger. Last three days it has done nothing to my appetite. I just started the week two dose yesterday and was hungry all day. Will see how it goes as I progress through the doses.

I understand your frustration. Maybe talk to your doc about other options. Mine gave me a list of things we could try. They’re not all appetite suppressants. Some actually increase your metabolism. Hope you figure it out.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    It’s quite possible the OP won’t see your response since their question is from 4 years ago. 😉

• rschlief
    rschlief Posts: 1 Member
    Can’t believe some of the condescending comments towards Manchester4. I have also been on Saxenda for 6 months with little weight loss. No you are not alone. The medication which advertises great help for losing weight obviously does not work for everyone. I hope you have success with your efforts. I would take my question to the Saxenda message boards. People are understanding and they will stick to their Saxenda experience rather than belittle you for bringing up a very legitimate question.