Today I wanna talk about addiction

CBD92
CBD92 Posts: 72 Member
Today I want to talk about addiction. I'm no expert but I've struggled with addictions my entire life and I've just had one of the greatest realizations. For the first time in my life I am addiction free.

From the time I was a baby I was taught poor eating habits paired with an unbearable living situation I learned to rely on food for comfort. It was literally the only thing in my life I had to comfort me or make me feel ok. I ended up on my own at the age of 15 with nowhere to go but a park in downtown Regina where I quickly found a squat house who's people welcomed me and it was there that I traded my food addiction for drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes. *
This lasted 3 years until I turned 18 and decided it was time for me to stop living on the streets. Slowly I was able to break the drug and alcohol habit but the cigarette habit remained. With the lack of drugs in my system I turned back to food as my main support and gained all the weight back that I had lost while homeless.

At this time I turned to Muay Thai and immediately stopped smoking and it was then I thought I was finally addiction free, but it wasn't so. I would still eat uncontrollably. Especially when it comes sweets. So 8 years later here I am, 26 years old. I've been active ever since with a passion for nutrition and fitness. I ate rather well but I had no problem eating a pint of ice cream and a bunch of chocolate bars at the end of the day.

During the last 3 months I have been religiously weighing my food. Everything I eat, no matter how big or small, I weigh and I track what goes in my body. I've made major changes to my nutrient intake and I just realized now while I was doing my workout, that I haven't binged on junk food in a long time. I just realized that I've had a bag of Reece's pieces in the cupboard that I see every day that are still there, that I haven't touched because 1) My body is getting all the nutrients it needs so my cravings are gone 2) I've learned to love and respect myself more through daily self hypnosis

Today I realized: I am addiction free. I have not traded one addiction for another, but I'm truly free. What a wonderful realization for me.

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Very happy to see that you've taken control of your life and your future the way you have. Congratulations on beating your addictions.
  • CBD92
    Very happy to see that you've taken control of your life and your future the way you have. Congratulations on beating your addictions.

Thank you so much for your kind words
  • QueenBee2018
    QueenBee2018 Posts: 196 Member
    You have really been through a lot! I don’t know you but I am so proud of you for getting stronger and stronger! Blessings and thanks for sharing.
  • CBD92
    You have really been through a lot! I don’t know you but I am so proud of you for getting stronger and stronger! Blessings and thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much! That means a lot :)
  • Jkrn20061
    Jkrn20061 Posts: 5 Member
    So many of us go to food for comfort, myself included. Congrats for getting healthy both physically and emotionally.
  • Horsekeeper
    Horsekeeper Posts: 21 Member
    Wow - Your accomplishments are truly impressive. Good for you! And thank you for sharing your story.
  • verneto1978
    verneto1978 Posts: 9 Member
    Great job!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Oh man, this story touches me so much. So much hard work, and such growth and honesty. Thanks for sharing, and a big hug -
  • Serendipity3518
    Serendipity3518 Posts: 2 Member
    You are a Phoenix <3 Congratulations on your many successes!!!
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Any addiction is a scary thing. I remember on YouTube, a woman was addicted to exercise and was ruining her life. Too much of anything is bad. Glad you got it under control.
  • CBD92
    You are a Phoenix <3 Congratulations on your many successes!!!

Oh I absolutely love that!! Thank you so much. A Phoenix is a beautiful creature. This means a lot. <3
  • OceanAddict
    OceanAddict Posts: 55 Member
    Way to go!!! I cannot fathom the inner strength it took to accomplish this feat.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    You are one he** of a woman! You have alot you could give to so many others out there who wish they could be you.....with your awesome self!
    I don't even know you and you make me proud!
  • WehttamThims
    WehttamThims Posts: 57 Member
    That's a very beautiful story, full of inspiration, hope and self love. I was thinking as I read it 'wow she re-conditioned herself' and then you added self hypnosis and I was like YES!! Can you tell me what your practice is? Thank you
  • Cassidy95c
    Cassidy95c Posts: 28 Member
    edited March 2018
    This made me teary eyed I can sort of relate... I was a meth addict for 3 years and started when I was 17 I was always insecure of my weight I was always the ugly girl in school and the kids would make fun me which lead me to depression later on when I was looking for an escape I ran off and got caught up in the wrong crowd and became homeless for a couple weeks before I started doing things for a living then I eventually got myself into some serious trouble and really had to face reality if it weren’t for a supportive family I think I would’ve still been living in those days... now I found myself a guy who loves me and gave me healthy baby girl and ever since I found out I was preggo I knew I had to stop and for real change my life around... I find myself struggling sometimes to this day but I try to do it the healthiest way possible by working out and not looking for the easy way now that I have a baby...I find that this whole fitness lifestyle makes me happy and I finally love myself for once... I jut wanted to share my story too cause i wanted to say there is hope and to never give up, sometimes life throws us these harsh tornadoes but it’s times like these that makes us stronger <3
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    As Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon) said in the movie Bull Durham: "The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness," this is truly inspiring. It's challenging enough to initiate change in one's life to become healthier, lose weight, maintain weightloss, develop new routines/lifestyles, etc., but to do it with the additional internal and external factors you (and @Cassidy95c !) had to face takes serious fortitude, courage, and the ability to be introspective and accepting of one's self. Great successes, both of you.
  • CBD92
    That's a very beautiful story, full of inspiration, hope and self love. I was thinking as I read it 'wow she re-conditioned herself' and then you added self hypnosis and I was like YES!! Can you tell me what your practice is? Thank you

Hey there! I did 8 weeks of sessions with a hypnotherapist (which was WILD! I highly suggest) and from then on I've just been doing my own. She gave me a recording of her to listen to, but I also listen to the ones on YouTube. I found the sessions in person to be the most beneficial as you talk back and forth with the therapist while in hypnosis. I'm not sure if you've ever tried it, but it's nothing like the hypnosis you see on TV. You are fully aware and can bring yourself out at any time. You have complete control. And it's not just the therapist "hypnotising" you to do something, it's just your therapist guiding you as you search your subconscious mind and figure out the root of whatever issues you may be having.

The YouTube recordings don't have as much effect as in person I found because it's not interactive but over time I've found it to be beneficial. The in person sessions, oh man. Those I could feel a change in myself after every single session. It is amazing.

If you're interested in chatting more I love talking about it! Reply here or shoot me a PM :)
  • CBD92
    Thank you so much to everyone else for all your kind words! It sure makes a gal feel special :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!