How to fix bad posture?

Anybody have any tips and tricks to fix bad posture?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    mostly just pay attention and sit up.

also, strengthening the core helps.
  • gjgl
    gjgl Posts: 35 Member
    My trainer has me doing 100 banded pull aparts a day to help improve posture.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    My friend had a posture issue and said that buying a bra made for posture support helped her. I have no idea if your female though because you don't have a profile pic up but still thought that I would reply in case it could help you. She said she had to stay constantly mindful of her posture and the bra helped too. She finally trained herself ( with the help of the bra) to stand straight.
  • altairego21
    altairego21 Posts: 52 Member
    gjgl wrote: »

That is a good idea! Do you use a light band or one that is a bit challenging?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    It's old school, but if your head isn't pointy ( a la Trey Gowdy), walk around with a book on your head. You can't be slouchy and do it.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Do you have a desk job? I read that keeping a tennis ball behind your back in between your shoulder blades and making sure not to let it fall can help with posture. I'm on my feet all day so I can't do this trick. I try to be mindful of my posture throughout the day.
  • gjgl
    gjgl Posts: 35 Member
    lnmuse wrote: »
    gjgl wrote: »

That is a good idea! Do you use a light band or one that is a bit challenging?

I use the lightest band. Mine is red. If youre just starting out, I'd suggest starting light as well and perfect your form. Then move on when ready :)
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    Hold a plank for at least a minute every day. Bad posture takes effort if you have good core muscles.
  • dfp333
    dfp333 Posts: 8 Member
    Tai chi helps a lot, also lots of compound exercises with a barbell- check out starting strength by mark rippetoe... Do squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses. Also if you sit at a desk or drive all day, get up and stretch every 2 hours no exceptions...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Having a strong core helps and practicing sitting up straighter/walking taller more until it becomes natural to do so.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    * Know what good posture looks and feels like. It isn't standing rigidly straight.
    * Good bra if a female
    * Have good core strength
    * Do posture workouts - they are out there. Workouts based on ballet, yoga and tai chi are all good.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Anybody have any tips and tricks to fix bad posture?

Stand up straight.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    There is some really bad advice above. Got see a professional like a physical therapist.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I have had terrible posture my whole life. Sway back and dowagers hump. And try as I might trying to "stand up straight" just resulted in knots in my shoulders, headache and worse posture. Things that are helping me improve that: Core excersises such as planks and Pilates and body lengthening yoga and stretches. Do a google search for posture improving exercises and stretches for specific workouts. I feel that it's important to both the stretching and the core strength and not one over the other. The stretching helps to loosen up tight areas that are holding the bad posture and the core exercises help to strengthen your body and make it easier to naturally hold yourself up without having to think about it all the time. If I actually stick with it I feel my posture start to realign itself and I can stand up straight without having to tell myself to do it. As soon as I quit though my posture starts slumping back to how it was before. Gotta stick with it whatever you do!