Guitar/Music Instrument Practice Challenge-15 minute Intervals

MaryBethHempel
MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
edited March 2018 in Challenges
I decided to make myself more accountable to practicing my guitar and have had so much progress with other challenges, ie: Alcohol Free, Exercise, and Weight loss...that I thought this might be a way to be more motivated and help others to do the same. Hoping to find other musicians in MyFitnessPal to share this with and assist others to practice to get fit in playing music. I also play the piano, keyboard, organ, and harmonica so I would like to get myself to be able to play these together some day. I am done with my procrastinating and ready to take a serious challenge to begin at 15 minutes and increase to where I can be an accomplished musician. There must be other MFP's out there that would benefit from this challenge. Please do join me and be the musician we always wanted to be. Let us start, one day at a time, 15 minutes at a time. :)

I thought that going in 15 minute intervals would be a good start.
The Challenge is:
How many 15 minutes intervals can you do daily?

Replies

• MaryBethHempel
    sophyoak wrote: »
    I'm in. Because my keyboard just stands in a corner, collecting dust :cry:, I need to start playing again. But I feel like a lost a lot of songs from my memory. Wouldn't know where to start. Perhaps I could try to start again, just 15 minutes a day in the beginning, just to practice the chords and eventually rehearse the songs I know and eventually learn the songs I want to learn.

Thank you for this challenge!

Yay! I knew there was someone out there! Welcome!! :) I am excited to share music...we can do just 15minutes...
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I’m so in! I love this challenge! I play the ukulele but not well.
  • MaryBethHempel

Wow! Cool! I actually forgot, but I just got an Ukulele in great condition at a thrift store. I would love to learn that too! LOL! That is my problem! I love music and just need to get more committed. :)
  • bocasdelgrandpabob
    bocasdelgrandpabob Posts: 73 Member
    I been kind of doing this. Trying to break away from tv, netflix and computer games.
    Finding that a lot of the pieces that I had memorized have kind of evaporated.
    Looking through piles of sheet music other day trying to figure which sheet goes with the segments of memory that haven't totally lapsed.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member

Same here. Picked it up about 13 months ago, now I have 3 Ukuleles, Lol. Can only play a few full songs, but can just sit there picking and strumming cords for fun.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    I set out in November to play a different song every day for a year and post them to my IG Channel. I made it 53 days before the seasonal colds came along and stole my voice. Haven't been able to sing properly since but still plugging away when I can.

I'm up for this challenge of playing 15 minutes a day and I've logged music as an activity! :-)
  • L1zardQueen
    erickirb wrote: »

Same here. Picked it up about 13 months ago, now I have 3 Ukuleles, Lol. Can only play a few full songs, but can just sit there picking and strumming cords for fun.

Lol. I have two.
  • Egger29
    sophyoak wrote: »
    I'm in. Because my keyboard just stands in a corner, collecting dust :cry:, I need to start playing again. But I feel like a lost a lot of songs from my memory. Wouldn't know where to start. Perhaps I could try to start again, just 15 minutes a day in the beginning, just to practice the chords and eventually rehearse the songs I know and eventually learn the songs I want to learn.

Thank you for this challenge!

Dust off that Keyboard and get playing! I got a piano tuning kit for Christmas but have YET to actually sit down and get it back to playing order! Maybe I'll do that today!
  • bocasdelgrandpabob
    Hey, maybe we could have a recital in a month or so. Remember being a kid and having to go to recitals?
    Smartphone would accommodate an internet recital. Am I getting carried away already?
  • L1zardQueen
    That is why I gave up the piano, I was so afraid of recitals. I avoided them for as long as possible.
  • Gutcutter500
    Gutcutter500 Posts: 695 Member
    I’m in. My daughters were both excellent pianists in high school and we loved to hear them play. I felt that since we had the piano I should put it to use and learn to play. It is also the competitive side of me that wants to show them I can learn to play it. Later.
  • bocasdelgrandpabob
    That is why I gave up the piano, I was so afraid of recitals. I avoided them for as long as possible.

Agree. As a kid I hated that. But I kind of think as an adult I can come up with a different perspective.
    What did I hate most about recitals? My cousin. She smoked us all of the time. No matter how much I practiced I would always choke. She starts like a year after I did and she is like playing Rachmaninoff.
    But hey, she could also play a good Beer Barrel Polka.

I don't know. I got my guitar out a week or so ago. Usually I only play when I am camping. Then anybody listening to me is groaning as I play a hundred reps as I try to remember a tune.

Surprisingly, my wife, she is not irritated when I play the same thing over and over and over. There is only one of my tunes that she hates.
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    I am a professional pianist who never practices. ROFLMAO! I'm down for this challenge. If for no other reason than it will stop me from feeling guilty for being paid. :blush:

I've managed to insert 10-15 minute walks into my day so now I will also add 10-15 minutes piano practice and 10 minutes guitar (I've been wanting to learn for years). Only 10 minutes though because guitar hurts my delicate fingers. >.<

Thanks for this challenge!
  • L1zardQueen

Agree. As a kid I hated that. But I kind of think as an adult I can come up with a different perspective.
    What did I hate most about recitals? My cousin. She smoked us all of the time. No matter how much I practiced I would always choke. She starts like a year after I did and she is like playing Rachmaninoff.
    But hey, she could also play a good Beer Barrel Polka.

I don't know. I got my guitar out a week or so ago. Usually I only play when I am camping. Then anybody listening to me is groaning as I play a hundred reps as I try to remember a tune.

Surprisingly, my wife, she is not irritated when I play the same thing over and over and over. There is only one of my tunes that she hates.

Which tune?
  • nrtauthor

I still hate performing but for me the paycheque outweighed the fear. I was like: Wait, I can get paid for doing something I love? And all I have to do is push passed all the fear and anxiety that performing brings? I'm down for that.

Shoot. Think I found a way I could lose weight! If somebody paid me to do it!!! I'd be on that so hard I'd be skinny by end of this year! ROFL!
  • Egger29
    edited March 2018
    I have a degree in Music Education however near the end I hung up my guitars and got into fitness/athletics. I'm only recently trying to get my inspiration back to play again, yet find myself more comfortable in front of strangers than friends/Family. :/:(
  • nrtauthor
    Egger29 wrote: »
    I have a degree in Music Education however near the end I hung up my guitars and got into fitness/athletics. I'm only recently trying to get my inspiration back to play again, yet find myself more comfortable in front of strangers than friends/Family. :/:(

Music is such great therapy! I hope you do get back into it. :)
  • L1zardQueen
    nrtauthor wrote: »

I still hate performing but for me the paycheque outweighed the fear. I was like: Wait, I can get paid for doing something I love? And all I have to do is push passed all the fear and anxiety that performing brings? I'm down for that.

Shoot. Think I found a way I could lose weight! If somebody paid me to do it!!! I'd be on that so hard I'd be skinny by end of this year! ROFL!

I grew up in Los Angeles and we were huge Dodger fans. At the stadium, when the organist did the Star Spangled Banner and what not, my dad would say I could do that too! Lol. That put the fear of god in me. I wished I listened to him.
  • Egger29

I've been playing every day and last year started posting on-line. Only problem is my immune system seems to hate me lately so I've had various colds, coughs and congestions since November. Not as bad as last year...but enough to mess up my singing ability.
  • nrtauthor

I've been playing every day and last year started posting on-line. Only problem is my immune system seems to hate me lately so I've had various colds, coughs and congestions since November. Not as bad as last year...but enough to mess up my singing ability.

Aw. That's the worst. Since gaining weight I haven't been able to sing at all. Feels like I never have enough air. Haha. Hoping exercise will make my lungs healthier. Not the same but I can feel your pain.