Guitar/Music Instrument Practice Challenge-15 minute Intervals

Replies

• MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    I been kind of doing this. Trying to break away from tv, netflix and computer games.
    Finding that a lot of the pieces that I had memorized have kind of evaporated.
    Looking through piles of sheet music other day trying to figure which sheet goes with the segments of memory that haven't totally lapsed.

Me too....I have been organizing through all my musical stuff....now I have to finish setting up my music room...:)
  • MaryBethHempel
    Egger29 wrote: »
    nrtauthor wrote: »
    I have a degree in Music Education however near the end I hung up my guitars and got into fitness/athletics. I'm only recently trying to get my inspiration back to play again, yet find myself more comfortable in front of strangers than friends/Family. :/:(

Music is such great therapy! I hope you do get back into it. :)

I've been playing every day and last year started posting on-line. Only problem is my immune system seems to hate me lately so I've had various colds, coughs and congestions since November. Not as bad as last year...but enough to mess up my singing ability.

Hope you get over those colds...hopefully you can boost your immunities and kick 'em!
  • MaryBethHempel
    nrtauthor wrote: »
    I am a professional pianist who never practices. ROFLMAO! I'm down for this challenge. If for no other reason than it will stop me from feeling guilty for being paid. :blush:

I've managed to insert 10-15 minute walks into my day so now I will also add 10-15 minutes piano practice and 10 minutes guitar (I've been wanting to learn for years). Only 10 minutes though because guitar hurts my delicate fingers. >.<

Thanks for this challenge!

Wow! Impressive...! :)
  • MaryBethHempel
    I did my first 15 Minutes and then I did another! YAY! I did Amin Pentatonic Scales up and down the guitar neck....then I improvised with some music in Am....I enjoyed it...
    Crazy though....I did everything today except play my guitar....I kept finding all kinds of things that needed to be done...I did a lot of cleaning and organizing! LOL! Then, I actually had to face up to the thread that I created! And force myself to do something....something that I really want to do...it is crazy how I procrastinated. I am going to take a quick break and come back and play Folsom Prison Blues...for another 15 minutes...I at least owe that!! :)
  • MaryBethHempel
    Anyone else procrastinating?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited March 2018
    Nope! Got her done!
  • MaryBethHempel
    Okay...#3 15 minute session...so that is 45 minutes actual practicing guitar...I think I am going to do so much better having this challenge....what a difference in how I feel...finally starting to practice...Hoping someone else does 15 minutes! :)
  • bocasdelgrandpabob
    bocasdelgrandpabob Posts: 73 Member
    edited March 2018
    Which tune?

Leyenda (Albeniz)

I don't exactly play it right.
  • bocasdelgrandpabob
    edited March 2018
    Did about 12 reps of lesson 22 from Pujol's vol 2.
    Kind of a cowboy sounding tune.
    Mother in law really loved that tune.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Ugh. I'm a music teacher so I guess the playing during the day doesn't count. I'm supposed to be practicing guitar parts and figuring out harmonies for my new duet project...I could use a kick in the *kitten*.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Ugh. I'm a music teacher so I guess the playing during the day doesn't count. I'm supposed to be practicing guitar parts and figuring out harmonies for my new duet project...I could use a kick in the *kitten*.

Very cool! What specifically do you teach? High School Band type deal or Private lessons? My degree is in Music Education, but I do little (if anything with it)
  • bbell1985

Very cool! What specifically do you teach? High School Band type deal or Private lessons? My degree is in Music Education, but I do little (if anything with it)

Elementary school general at the moment. Focus was orchestra ed in college
  • Egger29

That's awesome! Mine was Choral Music Education, Voice and Jazz Guitar, but I can't play any jazz for the life of me any longer. :D;)<3
  • bbell1985

That's awesome! Mine was Choral Music Education, Voice and Jazz Guitar, but I can't play any jazz for the life of me any longer. :D;)<3

Yeah I played jazz in college but it never became my thing. Not really into band or choral stuff. I was in in band all through my childhood and even the president of it but always thought those kids were nerd bombers.
  • Egger29

Yeah I played jazz in college but it never became my thing. Not really into band or choral stuff. I was in in band all through my childhood and even the president of it but always thought those kids were nerd bombers.

SAme here. I wasn't a performance major so I could only learn the instrument "in theory". Didn't have the benefit of doing Jazz Combo and such so never really learned "how to play jazz". so to speak. Besides, I was a hair band guitar player back in the day too. LOL Now It's all acoustic jams.
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    I had choir rehearsal tonight so 2 hours of piano time. I figure that's enough for today but tomorrow, a non-rehearsal day, I shall practice! I have a performance Sunday so it's a good time to start giving it more effort. Haha.
  • MaryBethHempel
    3-15 minutes done....
  • bocasdelgrandpabob
    7 reps of Sor's Estudio 5. Pretty sure that was more than 15. Lost track though.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Cool thread!

I'm a schooled drummer for the last 40+ years. Gave up doing the public stuff when I got married. No point in being married and not being home. Generally still get 30 minutes 4-5x / week for routine maintenance practicing.

Where I need to find the 15+ minutes a day is with my clarinet. Manage to study with a clarinet teacher for the last few years. Had to drop due to some medical reasons but hope to get back in the Fall. Need to find the 15-30 minutes a day somehow again.

Also have a sax which I would also love to have time to work with... This one may need to wait until retirement.. lol...
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Trumpeter checking in! I need to dust off my chops, so I will commit to at least one interval per day. Hopefully will be up to several per day before the end of the month (without too much pain)!