Hungry Eating 1600 Calories

I have been feeling quite hungry eating 1600 calories a day. I eat really healthy (almost no processed food[bread, pasta, diet soda, etc], eat at least 4 servings of vegetables, etc), but I am still hungry... My current macronutrient split is around 25% carb, 50% fat, and 25% protein. I am currently losing at around .5lb/week and is looking forward to lose another 10-20 lb (I'm currently 127lb). I'm 18 yrs old, 5ft2in, female.
I don't eat back my exercise calories. I hit 10K steps by speed walking at a 2.7mph pace for around 55 min everyday except the days where I strength train (lift weight, etc) for 1.5 hours. I do strength training twice per week, and for the other five days, I do the 10K routine.
When I mean I feel hungry, it is the nagging feeling that I am not full and want more food after I finish my meal, and I would start to heard my stomach "churn" around 2-3 hours after I eat. Should I bump up my caloric intake (If so, by how much?) or keep it constant and bear the hunger pangs?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    That is a random macro split, but there is a difference between being not full and actually hungry.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    apple4164 wrote: »
    I have been feeling quite hungry eating 1600 calories a day. I eat really healthy (almost no processed food[bread, pasta, diet soda, etc], eat at least 4 servings of vegetables, etc), but I am still hungry... My current macronutrient split is around 25% carb, 50% fat, and 25% protein. I am currently losing at around .5lb/week and is looking forward to lose another 10-20 lb (I'm currently 127lb). I'm 18 yrs old, 5ft2in, female.
    I don't eat back my exercise calories. I hit 10K steps by speed walking at a 2.7mph pace for around 55 min everyday except the days where I strength train (lift weight, etc) for 1.5 hours. I do strength training twice per week, and for the other five days, I do the 10K routine.
    When I mean I feel hungry, it is the nagging feeling that I am not full and want more food after I finish my meal, and I would start to heard my stomach "churn" around 2-3 hours after I eat. Should I bump up my caloric intake (If so, by how much?) or keep it constant and bear the hunger pangs?

I would suggest trying a macro split that has more carbs, less fat. Say around 50%carbs 30% protein and 20% fat. Carbs are fuel for your workouts and daily activity. JMO.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    I wouldn't up your calories, but I would play around with your foods. Try mixing up what you eat and when you eat it, or how often you eat it. I find I'm happiest when I eat small amounts for breakfast, snack, and lunch (when I'm busy at work) and then save more calories for dinner. You'll need to figure out what keeps your fullest for the longest time for the fewest calories too.

Also, try drinking a big glass of water with each meal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I think your calories and macro split and weight loss rate and even weight goal are all great - what you are experiencing is normal hunger, and possibly normal cravings. It's quite normal to not feel "full" after a meal, and to want more, all you need is to not be hungry anymore, and it's quite normal to eat again 3 hours after you eat.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    You need more carbs imo, its those that help fill us up .
    I feel hungry every 3 hours so I split my meals up into 5 meals.

I'm also 5ft 2 and I would lose weight eating 1750-1800 calories so perhaps you need to eat a little more. You also don't have much to lose so 0.5lb a week is a good aim.
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    I second the 50-30-20 split! I was hungry all the time at 1600 and finally went to see a dietician when the scale stopped after losing 60lbs. She suggested my protein intake was too low. I now eat about 80-100g daily per my body mass and have found that super helpful. I also highly believe in eating for fullness so I will eat as much food as I can to maximize 1600. (i.e. lettuce wraps with tuna instead of bread, a big salad with super light dressing and a Greek yogurt for fullness). Sometimes the portions are huge but the calories aren’t too high.

I’d also suggest drinking more water before and during meals. This helps with the feeling of fullness. So do high fibre foods. Eating smaller meals throughout the day can avoid some of those more significant hunger pangs towards meal time if you’re doing 3 meals daily.

In terms of exercise, if you’re not eating them back you’re truly in need of a deficit that 1600 daily which is a struggle for anyone! Realistically if you’re burning 200 calories on your walking every day but not eating any of that back, you’re burning through that 1600 to 1400. I’m not saying eat it all back as people rarely do but 1/3-1/2 of your exercise calories can be eaten back.

Good luck!

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Personally I find more protein and fibre help me to feel full and satisfied. My carbs are a bit higher than yours, my protein is higher and my fat is much lower. But the beauty of MFP is the ability to find the split that works for the individual. I would suggest playing around with the macro split a bit and see what happens. Your rate of loss is good I wouldn't suggest increasing calories. If you can't sustain what you are doing then you need to change it because this is basically the plan you will be on for life with a slight increase in calories. Many people diet to lose weight thinking they can go back to what they were doing before but that just isn't the case. I am old, short and not super fit so I lost at 1200 calories. My maintenance calories ended up being about 1400. I was probably eating around 3000 before losing weight. I can never go back there. This is it for me from now on. Try changing your macros a bit. The plan is for this to be the last time you need to lose weight and the beginning of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

I found over time that I adjusted to the smaller portions and was no longer able to eat the big meals I had been accustomed to before losing weight. Give it time. You're doing really well right now.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2018
    Personally, for your exercise regimen Id up the protein. If you are losing on 1600 <net? Eat back some exercise cals>but hungry the answer is to adjust your macros for things that satiate you longer. For me is protein then carbs then fat. :)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited March 2018
    Everyone has different food groups they find filling.

I find fat and protein provide me with long-lasting fullness. Others find fiber-rich carbs more filling.

I'd say experiment with your foods and macros a little bit. Swap out one of your vegetable servings with a protein and see how you feel.

You could also try intermittent fasting. Meaning, you only eat during a certain window of time. It might sound counterintuitive, but I find my hunger is way more manageable when I skip breakfast and only start eating around 11am-12pm.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    Eat more protein and less fat. Protein is likely more satiating. Also, eat back your exercise calories or at least some of them.
  • apple4164
    apple4164 Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks so much! MFP community is truely a supportive group:). I have (or rather, had) type 2 diabetes, and that's why I decided to lose weight (when I was 175lbs). Personally, I find fats and protein more satiating than carbs, but perhaps I should try experimenting more with changing up my macros (I'm eating 100+g of protein daily)? I'm almost too scared to increase my carb intake (due to my T2D history).
    I do eat healthy both because of my medical history and because I want to max out the amount of food I can eat as much as possible, but the idea of eating junk food when I want to (as long as it is within calorie limit) sounds like a great advice!
    I am currently losing at around .5lb/week, and if I eat back 1/3 to half of my exercise calories, is my weight loss just going to halt all together?
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    If you're only losing 0.5 lbs a week, then I personally wouldn't up your calories, but change what you're eating or increase your exercise. I think people are forgetting that you're only 5 foot 2 inches (I'm the same height), we can't eat a lot and continue to lose weight.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    Everyone has different food groups they find filling.

I find fat and protein provide me with long-lasting fullness. Others find fiber-rich carbs more filling.

I'd say experiment with your foods and macros a little bit. Swap out one of your vegetable servings with a protein and see how you feel.

You could also try intermittent fasting. Meaning, you only eat during a certain window of time. It might sound counterintuitive, but I find my hunger is way more manageable when I skip breakfast and only start eating around 11am-12pm.

^^^this Xs 2!!
    I find intermittent fasting to be invaluable when you’re the type of person that likes to feel full ( but not stuffed) after you eat. I personally find fiber to be very filling. Soup without toasted whole grain bread on the side, doesn’t do it for me. A big salad with all kinds of raw vegetables does it too. Lots of fiber. My eating window is 8 hours long, and ends late at night. I wake up totally not hungry for breakfast and for lunch.
    I agree with the poster that said adding calories at your height might not make sense. I’m 5’9”, 56 years old, weigh 157 with a goal of 147. Workout 4-5 days per week and I don’t lose weight unless I eat 1700-1800 calories a day. Not much more than you’re eating at 5’2”. Timing and macros changes may help you.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    edited March 2018
    apple4164 wrote: »
    Thanks so much! MFP community is truely a supportive group:). I have (or rather, had) type 2 diabetes, and that's why I decided to lose weight (when I was 175lbs). Personally, I find fats and protein more satiating than carbs, but perhaps I should try experimenting more with changing up my macros (I'm eating 100+g of protein daily)? I'm almost too scared to increase my carb intake (due to my T2D history).
    I do eat healthy both because of my medical history and because I want to max out the amount of food I can eat as much as possible, but the idea of eating junk food when I want to (as long as it is within calorie limit) sounds like a great advice!
    I am currently losing at around .5lb/week, and if I eat back 1/3 to half of my exercise calories, is my weight loss just going to halt all together?

The way MFP is set up you're actually supposed to be eating back your exercise calories. Theoretically you're supposed to be eating all of them back—MFP users say eat SOME back instead in order to guard for logging inaccuracies. That being said, if you're only losing at .5 pounds per week at the moment my guess would be that you're already eating more calories than you think you are, which sometimes happens if people don't weigh their food using a food scale and just use things like cup and tablespoon measurements instead. Or if not that it could happen to people who are selecting bad entries from the MFP food database (cross-check with another nutrition info website like fatsecret.com or something). In turn, if that's the case, then you're back to square one on the issue of you feeling hungry with the amount you're currently eating.

If you're considering adding more carbs based on others' suggestions, I would suggest you focus on carbs in the form of vegetables as opposed to pastas and stuff, not because of the whole carbs-as-sugar thing but because the fibre in vegetables might help you stay full longer. Are you familiar with the concept of 'net carbs'? Where if you take the number of grams of carbs in something then subtract the number of grams of fibre it has, then that's the 'real' number of carbs you should consider that food to have since the fibre slows the absorption of sugar into your bloodstream? You'll find that, using this concept, you could consider yourself to be eating low carb while also staying fuller longer. That may be what some of the other posters on this thread are talking about when they say they find carbs satiating. I'm guessing most of them are talking about vegetable carbs.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    If you’re aiming to lose .5lbs/week, and you ARE losing .5lbs/week, it sounds like you’re eating exactly the right number of calories for your body and your goals. The reason you feel hungry is that that’s NOT as many calories as your body wants in order to maintain its current mass.

It sounds like the hunger is fairly mild and manageable—about what one would expect when denying a body 250 of the calories it would really prefer each day. If it bothers you you can try playing around with what you eat and when, or you can do more exercise and eat those calories back, or you can take a diet break and get a feel for what maintaining is like. You’ll likely experience hunger at times then, too, so getting comfortable with that is going to be a necessary step in keeping the weight off as you go forward.

Congratulations on your fantastic progress, and good luck!