"Smart Fat"

2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm re-reading this again. I remember liking it so much that I decided a refresher was in order.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    My library doesn't offer Hoopla, just Overdrive will have to get on my Kindle and see if Overdrive offers it. Or spend some $ at Amazon.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    I was struck by this point concerning MCT oil:

"And there are convincing studies using MCT oil, which is 100% 8- and 10-carbon fatty acids, showing that it increases energy expenditure and suppresses appetite.

My guess is that’s because it’s increasing energy expenditure in the brain, and that’s telling the brain that you don’t need as much food. Whatever the exact mechanisms, using MCT oil can lead to a net caloric deficit without trying to cut calories."

I had stopped using mct oil for a couple months because I wondered if I was just consuming extra calories for no reason. My weight loss slowed down and I couldn't figure what I was doing different/wrong!! I think this is it. I'm going to put the mct oil back in, starting today, and see if my losses increase again!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I was struck by this point concerning MCT oil:

"And there are convincing studies using MCT oil, which is 100% 8- and 10-carbon fatty acids, showing that it increases energy expenditure and suppresses appetite.

My guess is that’s because it’s increasing energy expenditure in the brain, and that’s telling the brain that you don’t need as much food. Whatever the exact mechanisms, using MCT oil can lead to a net caloric deficit without trying to cut calories."

I had stopped using mct oil for a couple months because I wondered if I was just consuming extra calories for no reason. My weight loss slowed down and I couldn't figure what I was doing different/wrong!! I think this is it. I'm going to put the mct oil back in, starting today, and see if my losses increase again!

I've never used MCT oil, and have considered it twice: the first time I read this book, and the second.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I used MCT for about 4-5 months as part on my medically therapeutic keto. I found it to be void of any benefit. I seemed to be hungry when taking it and several reviewers indicated the same.

Common use during the years has been for those who have difficulty metabolizing fat and to help the ill gain or maintain weight.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Bought this on Amazon yesterday (Kindle version under $10.) and did a speed read. I found them agreeing with Sears a lot. It is nice that they have a bunch of references handy for you. Liked the detailed meal plans and some of the recipes are worth trying. I'll give it a more thoughtful read later this week. I think this would be a good intro book to low carb. But I honestly think I prefer Phinney's books.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Has anyone read Lyle Mcdonald's The Ketogenic Diet book?
  • Sabine_Stroehm

Do you recommend it? Have you read it?
  • kpk54
    Speaking of Lyle McDonald, his newest book, The Women's Book Volume 1 was recently released. February, I believe, and is getting rave reviews.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Speaking of Lyle McDonald, his newest book, The Women's Book Volume 1 was recently released. February, I believe, and is getting rave reviews.
    YESSSS I’ve been waiting for its release forever. Purchased it, haven’t had time to sit down and read unfortunately.

Do you recommend it? Have you read it?
    Haven’t read it. I heard on his podcast that there’s some information that needs to be updated... which is why I haven’t went ahead and bought the book.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I'll be curious to see what folks think of the Woman's Book.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    I'll be curious to see what folks think of the Woman's Book.

It's expensive as heck, and all I've heard so far is that dude needs to hire me to edit his copy. :smirk: I'm keeping my eyes out on the MF to see if they talk about it.
  • kpk54
    lol. The thing I find so humorous is the 1 gal I see complaining about him needing a proofreader keeps posting his name as "Lyall". She needs a proofreader.

$5 from each book goes to a woman's sports foundation. Over $12,000 has been targeted for that so far per his website.

It is pricy though at $50-$70. Tom Brady's book was over $200. :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    lol. The thing I find so humorous is the 1 gal I see complaining about him needing a proofreader keeps posting his name as "Lyall". She needs a proofreader.

$5 from each book goes to a woman's sports foundation. Over $12,000 has been targeted for that so far per his website.

It is pricy though at $50-$70. Tom Brady's book was over $200. :)

That is funny. I figured she was getting autocorrected though. It's supposed to be a heavy read so I doubt anyone is finished reading it yet.
  • kpk54
    Of course it is most likely autocorrect but....proofread. :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I'm now re-reading this book AGAIN. For whatever reason it really resonates with me.
    1. I like that it doesn't read like a diet book.
    2. I like how it's structured.
    3. I like that it's less about "macros" but more a discussion of fats, fiber, protein and flavor
    4. There's a great section that really talks about grass versus grain fed meats
    5. There's a great section on spices (flavor) and their role in a nutrient dense diet.
    6. There's a great section on inflammation/ inflam-aging.

It is by far one of my favorites.