Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    NicoleHaki wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Log it as 'circuit training'.

This is a classic example of the garbage marketing going on in the fitness industry. Jillian Michaels fitness videos are not HIIT in any way, shape or form. HIIT has become very trendy (just like intermittent fasting and keto on the dietary side) and there is a lot of magick and wizardry being ascribed to it/them that are, shall we say, a bit far-fetched.

This 1000000%

Agreed. But I guess accuracy and facts are not what is important to the OP.

No the OP is looking for accuracy and she's totally right. Body Shred is an interval training workout. For all of the people who are questioning it, I have to ask...have you ever done it?

Just because you don’t know the difference between HIIT and circuit training. Doesn’t mean Jillian Michaels program qualifies as HIIT

Beat me to it. Took the words right out of my mouth. :D
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    remoore23 wrote: »
    When I searched for both "HIIT", "High Intensity Interval Training" and "Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred", there were no results. This is a workout that has three six-minute circuits of 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of ab work, and it meant to be very intense. How do you record things like that? Thank you :smile:

I logged it as gymnastics. It worked for me.
    Basically, choose, aerobics, Pilates, circuit training, or gymnastics, etc, log, and monitor. Adjust your calories depending on results.

Cheers, h.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

This is a classic example of the garbage marketing going on in the fitness industry. Jillian Michaels fitness videos are not HIIT in any way, shape or form. HIIT has become very trendy (just like intermittent fasting and keto on the dietary side) and there is a lot of magick and wizardry being ascribed to it/them that are, shall we say, a bit far-fetched.

This 1000000%

No the OP is looking for accuracy and she's totally right. Body Shred is an interval training workout. For all of the people who are questioning it, I have to ask...have you ever done it?

Just because you don’t know the difference between HIIT and circuit training. Doesn’t mean Jillian Michaels program qualifies as HIIT

No you’re totally missing the point. Jillian Michaels Body Shred doesn’t just have intervals with “varied intensity” like one person said. It is a structured workout with explicit high intensity intervals and explicit low intensity/rest intervals.

Interval training ≠ HIIT. That is not to say it doesn't have an effect, but it's not HIIT.

I wouldn't describe C25K as HIIT, but I would describe it as interval training.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

This 1000000%

No it's not. I've done the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred videos which is what she's talking about. I also know what actual true HIIT is. They aren't the same thing. Not even in the same universe.

Interval training and high intensity interval training aren't the same thing. There's a difference.

Log the 30 day shred as circuit training, that's weight lifting with an aerobic component and that's exactly what it is.
  • NicoleHaki
    NicoleHaki Posts: 55 Member
    For anybody who's interested, you can read the description of BodyShred here (straight from Jillian's website itself). Complete with all the usual industry buzzwords and marketing woo.

Not HIIT.

Just to note OP asked about the 30 Day Shred which is a home workout that lasts about 24 min, not the BodyShred class.

It is still the 3-2-1 format.

Still not HIIT though.

Cheers, h.

Yeah but what you’re missing about the 3-2-1 format is that the 3 and the 2 min intervals are high intensity intervals and the 1 min intervals are low intensity/reat intervals (ex: hold a plank or boat pose).

Suppose you wanted to argue that HIIT is different from interval training and Body Shred would qualify as interval but not HIIT. I suppose you could say that but that still doesn’t make Body Shred circuit training.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    For anybody who's interested, you can read the description of BodyShred here (straight from Jillian's website itself). Complete with all the usual industry buzzwords and marketing woo.

Not HIIT.

Just to note OP asked about the 30 Day Shred which is a home workout that lasts about 24 min, not the BodyShred class.

It is still the 3-2-1 format.

Still not HIIT though.

Cheers, h.

Yeah but what you’re missing about the 3-2-1 format is that the 3 and the 2 min intervals are high intensity intervals and the 1 min intervals are low intensity/reat intervals (ex: hold a plank or boat pose).

Suppose you wanted to argue that HIIT is different from interval training and Body Shred would qualify as interval but not HIIT. I suppose you could say that but that still doesn’t make Body Shred circuit training.

No, it's 3 min of strength (not HIIT, but with some cardio elements to it), 2 min of cardio (again, not HIIT), and 1 min of abs.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    sijomial wrote: »

Not HIIT.

F**k me, buzzword bingo. And the classic what you're reading is nonsense red flag of for up to 24-48 hours post training

I think "it's kinetic" was my absolute favourite. Wow - exercise that involves movement, truly groundbreaking.....

If OP is still reading - you do realise that an attack on JM's ludicrous marketing isn't an attack on you or even an attack on your exercise choices?

Exactly. In my initial post, I first answered the question ("log it as circuit training", which is what it is). The second paragraph was a tangential commentary on the woo in fitness industry marketing and their trendiness of calling everything "HIIT" nowadays. Not intended (or phrased) as an attack against the OP or her exercise choices.