One year later and only a couple pounds lighter... how long did it take you?

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
edited March 2018 in Motivation and Support
I started my journey towards a healthier life a little over one year ago. I don't have a lot of weight to lose but I was hoping to lose the mummy tummy I gained after 2 pregnancies. I tried a number of different things over the course of this year… I was exercising pretty regularly for a while, I tried different calorie limits (sometimes aiming for recomp, sometimes aimiing to cut), and I haven't always been perfect. But, after a year of diligently wighing my food and making conscious decisions about my meals, I would have thought that there would be more of a change I'd seen myself. I'm only 2 or 3 pounds lighter than it was a year ago today and there's no difference in my waist, hips, etc when I measure myself. The last couple of weeks I've fallen off the wagon a bit because I'm rather disheartened by this realization. I have a very sedinatary lifestyle so I'm guessing I just have to drop my calories lower than I was previously.

Anyone else have a very slow start? I've been trying to be patient but this 1 year anniversary makes me want to give up.

Edit for a spelling error

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I'm all for slow and steady, but that's a bit low even for me. How are you measuring your foods, and have you had a physical recently to rule out any metabolic issues?
  • LoveThickOrThin
    LoveThickOrThin Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Definitely less cardio and more weights. They change your body so much and it feels amazing.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    I'm all for slow and steady, but that's a bit low even for me. How are you measuring your foods, and have you had a physical recently to rule out any metabolic issues?

I weight everything except low calories veggies like cucumbers and lettuce (which I'm not really pounding back anyway) and yogurt and protein bars which are prepackaged, and liquids which go by cups. I've stopped weighing everything the last couple of weeks because I'm in a funk about this 1 year thing. I haven't talked go the doc because I'm in the healthy weight range for my height, so I don't think anything is amiss there. I'm sure likk8e most people I need to tighten up my logging and that my calories need to be lower than I previously thought. :(
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose?

Are you sure WL is what you’re really after? I caused myself a lot of trouble obsessing about the number on the scale when what I needed was fitness.

You tried counting macros? Lifting?

Oh, in answer to your question, I spent about as much time losing as I did gaining.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    If you’re in a healthy weight range already I wouldn’t be so concerned with weight but the measurements not changing is a sign that maybe you need to change your approach. You said you exercised pretty regularly for a while- what type of exercise? Like others have responded I highly recommend weight lifting- it changes your body in a way no amount or cardio or being “active” can. I also suggest you track macros, not just calories, and try to get about 0.8 to 1 grams per pound of protein each day (multiply your current weight in pounds by 0.8 and make that your minimum protein intake goal). It also helps to cycle between phases of fat loss and muscle gain so you put in more muscle and lose fat over time - body builders call this “cutting & bulking”. Don’t be afraid of using techniques that body builders use- you won’t end up looking like a professional body builder unless you go to extremes and really know what you’re doing and are trying to get that look.

Also I can relate! I tried to lose weight and get healthy for almost a full year (10 months) and thought I was doing well with exercise & eating healthy foods til I weighed myself and looked at pictures and realized I hadn’t changed at all or lost any weight the whole time!! That’s when I started tracking macros and getting more serious about weight lifting and I finally dropped weight and got to a healthy weight and have a more fit looking shape due to the muscle.

Don’t quit just change your approach. And look into some natural body builders and workout programs like Thinner Leaner Stronger or Strong Curves... those come with books that explain what your diet and nutrition and training should be. Or try bodybuilding.com, that has lots of info and program options. Good luck!
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    MJFSH wrote: »
    Try weight lifting. I was doing cardio in the beginning. Lots and lots of cardio but could barely lose any weight. Switched to weight lifting and even tho i have not lost tons of weight, but i went from a size 12 straight to a 4 and 00. weird thing weight hasnt changed much but size has had major changes

That's probably the key right there. I was lifting for a few months but I only get to see my kids for a couple of hours after work and before bedtime so I couldn't justify taking the time to work out. I have a little time after they sleep but before I do.... but the energy to work out that late just hasn't been there. By the the the kids go to sleep I'm exhausted.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Increasing my protein intake made all the difference in my recomp. I gained 10lbs but dropped 2 dress sizes.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It took me almost 2 years to lose 50 lbs. BUT I did mostly cardio the first year and got some terrible dieting advice that nearly destroyed my metabolism and took almost a full year to recover :neutral: I would highly recommend strength training.
  • kshearer13
    kshearer13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How many calories were you eating and how much weight do you need to lose? The tricky part is the lower the weight you need to lose, the slower it comes off and the less calories you need to consume to lose weight. This is likely part of the issue if you're already at a healthy weight.

Also, it isn't necessarily clear how consistent you've been from your post. It says you did a few exercises for a little while etc. But consistency is key. Even if you eat well all week and then eat a whole pizza on Sundays (just as an example) you won't be at a calorie deficit any more and you won't lose weight.

Also, strength training is great exercise if you're looking to change your body composition. I would also say that if you're struggling to get in night time workouts do morning ones. I know some people hate that. I hated it until a few weeks in. Now I wake up at 5am excited to workout. I do 30-50 minute workouts at home (Beachbody) so I keep preworkout beside my bed and jump into my workout clothes right away. I even wear headphones for music so I don't wake anyone up. But I burn calories in the morning, I'm energized for the say, I feel productive, and that one healthy choice leads to a lot of other healthy choices.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It took my 9 months initially to go from 163 to about 133. Since then I've only gained. I've never "met goal".
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Why are you sedentary? To feel alive you must move!
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Why are you sedentary? To feel alive you must move!

I have a sir down job and long commute. During the week we have time at home for dinner, homework, bath time and then bedtime. On the weekends I get out and do a lot with the kids but the the winter had made that a little harder to do with a baby.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    kshearer13 wrote: »
    How many calories were you eating and how much weight do you need to lose? The tricky part is the lower the weight you need to lose, the slower it comes off and the less calories you need to consume to lose weight. This is likely part of the issue if you're already at a healthy weight.

Also, it isn't necessarily clear how consistent you've been from your post. It says you did a few exercises for a little while etc. But consistency is key. Even if you eat well all week and then eat a whole pizza on Sundays (just as an example) you won't be at a calorie deficit any more and you won't lose weight.

Also, strength training is great exercise if you're looking to change your body composition. I would also say that if you're struggling to get in night time workouts do morning ones. I know some people hate that. I hated it until a few weeks in. Now I wake up at 5am excited to workout. I do 30-50 minute workouts at home (Beachbody) so I keep preworkout beside my bed and jump into my workout clothes right away. I even wear headphones for music so I don't wake anyone up. But I burn calories in the morning, I'm energized for the say, I feel productive, and that one healthy choice leads to a lot of other healthy choices.

I've been eating 1500 calories (except the last few weeks and at 1700 when I was liftiing). I'm 125lbs and started at about 128lbs. I've been pretty consistent (last few weeks aside) but my plans and approach have changed over the year. I ate way less when I first started, more when I was lifting, I paid more attention to mircos at one time, etc.

I think I need to get back to working out but oh man... 5am sounds so rough. How do you wake up enough for that? Getting out of a warm bed is not something I'm good at. And, I was motivated when I went to the gym but I'm not sure about at home. My home work out have been very lack luster. I've got to find a way around that.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    MJFSH wrote: »
    Try weight lifting. I was doing cardio in the beginning. Lots and lots of cardio but could barely lose any weight. Switched to weight lifting and even tho i have not lost tons of weight, but i went from a size 12 straight to a 4 and 00. weird thing weight hasnt changed much but size has had major changes

That's probably the key right there. I was lifting for a few months but I only get to see my kids for a couple of hours after work and before bedtime so I couldn't justify taking the time to work out. I have a little time after they sleep but before I do.... but the energy to work out that late just hasn't been there. By the the the kids go to sleep I'm exhausted.

I wakeup at 4:30 am to workout shower get ready for work prepare breakfast for kiddos and drive them to school. After work by the time i.get.home prepare and have dinner i wont have time or energy to workout. See if you can wakeup a bit earlier to workout but then again diet is 80% of the deal and exercise 20. So maybe also familiarize yourself with macro nutritions, increase your protein say at least 1 g protein for each lb body weight.and .5 g fat but keep carbs on the lower side if you can and see how that works for you. You totally can do this!
  • Fizzypopization
    Fizzypopization Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    125lbs seems like a pretty good weight. So thats probably why you aren't losing especially if you are of average height or taller. I'd focus on finding time to work out because at this point you are in maintenance and working on changing composition.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    How long it took me was 10 months to lose 10 kg ( around 22 lb)

That got me to 62 kg ( 136 lb) and a BMI of 23

If you are already a healthy weight, I don't think you should try to lose more - concentrate on toning and fitness instead, if you want to improve body appearance.

• teniahhowell
    teniahhowell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First of all pat yourself on the back for being an amazing woman! Seriously...commuting, working with kids at home - that is such an incredibly challenging juggle. Good on you for seeking to live a healthier life and please do NOT give up on yourself. Just keep trying to do what you can as often as you can...You asked how long it has taken others to lose weight so I will share with you that a few years back now I was struggling to lose weight and was running, weight lifting, eating a vegetarian diet (and a healthy one) and just not budging a pound for months and months and MONTHS...so I can really relate to where you are at in this regard, and I know how frustrating it is, and it feels like what you are doing is pointless...Nothing you do towards eating healthier or exercising will ever be pointless. It all counts! For me personally, one of the reasons (which I only found out a couple of years later) was that I had hypothyroidism. Fast forward a few years after starting treatment and my weight has continued to be my struggle, but at least I know why. However, I press on and keep working out and eating healthy because I know it's best for my health. (regardless of what the scale says) I have had yoyo weight loss (at times got down to a pretty ideal weight) but it was usually at times when I had nothing else to do but work out! My body really requires constant physical activity to stay fit, so that's just how my body is...What I would encourage in your case is to do the weight lifting as others have suggested at a time that will realistically fit into your schedule (Maybe you might have to do leg lifting on Sat and arms on Sunday, and the rest of the week is for the kids)....Be realistic so that you can be consistent!!! On the days when you are not lifting, perhaps consider doing some yoga at home before bed. Yoga has been the most amazing change I ever made to my life. It helped me find acceptance too for where I am at and what my own limitations are. Lastly I do highly encourage you to take a look at what benefits you might find from a plant-based diet. All the best to you and do be encouraged that you are NOT alone!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    i counted calories on here for years and never lost my weight. I'd go down 5 to 10 pounds and regain over and over.
    i've gone back to a metabolism diet i did years ago where i eat six times a day, lean meats, vegetables, fruits and whole carbs... ...I'm finally getting all the weight off, lost 27 pounds with about 10 to go.

I say, switch what you're doing and get results. . A year is a long time to work at weight loss and have nothing to show for it..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    It took me about 8 months to lose 25 kg (55 lbs):
    16 weeks to lose 15 kg.
    1 month diet break.
    16 weeks to lose 10 kg.

I did have a slow start ... I didn't lose a thing for the first 10 days. And then it started.