Weight watchers back to mfp?

Replies

• MartySue41
    MartySue41 Posts: 3 Member
    I really want WW to work. I lost 80+ pounds on WW in the early 2000s on the original points plan and kept it off for several years. Unfortunately, after IVF, baby, etc. I gained it back and honestly haven't worked hard to get it off. I tried the new plan, and like others I thought I liked it but it got super boring and I started eating what I want. So, I'm here giving this a go. I'm just not sure if my calories/macros are legit here. I'll give it a week or two and then see if I need to tweak anything. I've got a long way to go.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    MartySue41 wrote: »
    I really want WW to work. I lost 80+ pounds on WW in the early 2000s on the original points plan and kept it off for several years. Unfortunately, after IVF, baby, etc. I gained it back and honestly haven't worked hard to get it off. I tried the new plan, and like others I thought I liked it but it got super boring and I started eating what I want. So, I'm here giving this a go. I'm just not sure if my calories/macros are legit here. I'll give it a week or two and then see if I need to tweak anything. I've got a long way to go.

Yup...I too was on ww in the late 80's and early 90's and the program was food exchanges. I lost 88lbs and loved it!
    Gained back thru life changes and tried points...never resonated with me.
    Mfp does resonate and I am making good headway! AND ITS FREE!!!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Also love mfp database and scanner!
  • gracejks01
    gracejks01 Posts: 5 Member
    I was on weight watchers loved the idea of eating clean and not having to track as much however when I tracked In mfp I was consistently eating way too low calories 700-900
  • mztamaraann
    mztamaraann Posts: 35 Member
    I really enjoyed WW. The meetings kept me accountable and the point system is much easier than counting macros. I had a 6 month introductory special, and it's up at the end of March. As much as I like WW the full price of the program with meetings is too much, and the full price for online only doesn't make sense.

I'm happy that I have a month to make the transition though. I missed MFP. The community and the platform are way more engaging.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited March 2018
    I’m a Lifetime member, but I don’t like Freestyle it’s supposed to be freeing and I feel it more restrictive than ever it’s like I’m being punished if I’m not eating from “the list” which I rarely do so for now I track cals, I like how it works with my Fitbit and that I can be on top of my Macros ;) So lucky to be at goal but I’m not risking it!!!
  • akelliher7
    akelliher7 Posts: 3 Member
    I just download mfp app again after bombing on freestyle. I’m just stuck and playing with same old pounds. Your post was the first I saw. Looking to make connections and friends too
  • Mountainlove
    Mountainlove Posts: 23 Member
    I lost 25lbs on WW in 2012. The plan at the time was PointsPlus. After about 2/3 years the weight started creeping back up (15lbs). I tried getting back into the new WW plans, but somehow just couldn't get back on track. I've only started on MFP last week but so far, it's working - I lost a little over 1 lb this week.
  • rcalloway03
    rcalloway03 Posts: 1 Member
    haylzcov80 wrote: »
    I joined ww 4 weeks ago, and at first it was great I lost 4lbs in the first week, then it just slowed to a stop and I was bored and hungry! I started tracking on mfp and ww to find I was way over my sp’s but way under 1200 Cals! For me it’s just not healthy to be hungry, miserable and not eating enough calories so my metabolism is slower! I am going to cancel my plan and just stick with mfp and my Fitbit!

I was also hungry and miserable and not eating enough calories, even though I was using all of my points and was making smart choices (lean protein, veggies, fruits, very low carb). I was losing weight but it wasn't a lifestyle I could sustain. MFP works so much better for me!
  • alkight84
    alkight84 Posts: 66 Member
    I love the free foods however I am fiddling with MFP now and tracking my food and realizing I can eat more on MFP and more things that I like. I looooove nuts and they are high points on WW. I do however love the community on WW. I can't seem to get into the community here on MFP. I did lose 15 pounds in the first 2 months on WW so it works but I just got bored with it so I am going to be making the transition to counting calories again. That way my husband can do it with me too.
  • LeanneCutrara
    LeanneCutrara Posts: 31 Member
    There must be a way to use My fitnesspal and track points
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    I think there's lots of people who've made that shift -- I lost 50 pounds back in 2006 with the original points program, which was great, but every new iteration was less effective than the last. Went back to WW in February, was told about Freestyle, took one look at it and KNEW that it wouldn't work without calorie counting, so finally cancelled my membership after almost a decade...
  • bluekarou
    bluekarou Posts: 14 Member
    I ditched WW earlier this year, had a break and recently returned to MFP. The new plan launched last year is called Flex in the UK, which isn’t a good name as I found it very rigid. I much preferred the old Points system, I felt I had more choice over food. I’m not a child, I know that a banana is better for me than chocolate but sometimes I want the chocolate. I found the limitations almost patronising, with MFP there is more choice and flexibility. The Connect community is also a bit of a nonsense, as a PP said certain posters would always trend, even if they were posting utter crap.
  • grandmalu
    grandmalu Posts: 1 Member
    I too lost 50 pounds with WW back in 2006 and loved the points system back then. It didn’t make sense to me when they changed to points plus and said fruit was free. I wasn’t successful with that. WW changes their program too often in my opinion. Unfortunately I’ve put 30 of those lost pounds back on. I can’t find my motivation anymore. Keep trying to find it.
  • Moxiemama5678
    Moxiemama5678 Posts: 31 Member
    Me! I started gaining with Freestyle so back to MFP and I’m so much happier. I just didn’t see the point of unlimited food for people who obviously can’t limit food on their own. I lost 50 lbs with the old plan too, so I wasn’t super excited about the change. They should’ve just made a separate plan for it IMO.
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member

It is quite simple. A WW point is about 38 calories. WW really is a calorie counting system, but they gimmick it up with things like “free” foods. If it works for you, go with it. My wife used it and lost weight. I used mfp at the same time and also lost weight with us eating mostly the same foods. I did most of the cooking so I could count calories then easily tell her the points equivalent.
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member

It is quite simple. A WW point is about 38 calories. WW really is a calorie counting system, but they gimmick it up with things like “free” foods. If it works for you, go with it. My wife used it and lost weight. I used mfp at the same time and also lost weight with us eating mostly the same foods. I did most of the cooking so I could count calories then easily tell her the points equivalent.

I should clarify that the 38 calorie/point ratio is based on the WW plan as it existed 3 years ago. It may not still be valid for newer versions.
  • RussellAMagni
    RussellAMagni Posts: 7 Member
    Personally speaking I joined Weight Watchers coincidentally the day you made this post, and I've lost 58 pounds... I like the freestyle, of course that's all I'm used to I didn't know the old plan but the new plan works for me and I love it my wife is also lost 40 lb since March 4th.. but we paid to go to the meetings too and the meetings help immensely! No matter what you do I hope you stick with your weight loss journey and don't give up!
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited June 2018
    It is quite simple. A WW point is about 38 calories. WW really is a calorie counting system, but they gimmick it up with things like “free” foods. If it works for you, go with it. My wife used it and lost weight. I used mfp at the same time and also lost weight with us eating mostly the same foods. I did most of the cooking so I could count calories then easily tell her the points equivalent. [/quote]

How can you say that there’s 38 cals in a point??? As far as I’m concerned nobody knows the formula for sure, in my case I get 23 Smart Points and when I double track (cals) I eat anywhere between 1,400-1,600 cals, and never less than 1,000 which would be according to your formula, it entirely depends on what you choose to eat...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!