Allergy to diet soda's?

I have a family member that is diabetic. So he only drinks diet soda's and unsweetened tea and maybe a small Orange juice for breakfast. As of late, diet soda's are making him sick. He has terrible bathroom issues and tea now gives him acid reflux (he currently takes meds but its still gives him reflux) and now he's having the same issues with his lactose milk. Right now the only thing he can stomach is the low calorie Gatorade and certain brands of bottled water.
Has anyone experienced this before? I am trying to figure alternatives. He has had the regular sprite and it seems to do fine but with the amount of sugar in it he doesn't want to drink it. The diet he's afraid will upset his tummy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated it.

Replies

• YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Is he allergic to the sweetener in the diet soda? My aunts (4 of them) are all allergic to aspartame. Or maybe a food coloring? I found out at 36 I was allergic to a common coloring in most non-orange sports drinks. In my aunts and my case we all experience bathroom issues. Has he tried other brands of tea? Has he tried brewing his own tea?
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    It could be the acid in it too. I know when I'm flaring, diet soda is really unpleasant, but my regular carbonated water doesn't affect me nearly as much. It CAN, but not nearly as often or as much.
  • ashlee_tx
    ashlee_tx Posts: 24 Member
    He has tried the gallon tea and we have brewed it ourselves. We also have to be careful what water we buy because certain ones are tap but are filter and he seems to have the same tummy issues. He's wondering if its allergic to aspartame.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited March 2018
    Sounds to me like you are over complicating things. If he thinks diet sodas don’t make him feel good, stop drinking then. Rather than trying endless different drinks why doesn’t he just stick to water for now? Flavoured drinks aren’t necessary, they are really just for fun. And if he’s not feeling good, that’s not fun!

Does he also have food allergies? If so, that’s probably going to give him a clue to what’s not agreeing with him.

I’d also suggest that he needs to see a doctor - if even water is upsetting him, then there may be something else causing stomach/gut issues that should be looked into. (I’m assuming that you mean plain water not fancy flavoured stuff).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    None of the sugar drinks are good for him as a diabetic so leave them alone. I agree with plain water for now. He needs to get his stomach issues looked at further.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    ashlee_tx wrote: »
    I have a family member that is diabetic. So he only drinks diet soda's and unsweetened tea and maybe a small Orange juice for breakfast. As of late, diet soda's are making him sick. He has terrible bathroom issues and tea now gives him acid reflux (he currently takes meds but its still gives him reflux) and now he's having the same issues with his lactose milk. Right now the only thing he can stomach is the low calorie Gatorade and certain brands of bottled water.
    Has anyone experienced this before? I am trying to figure alternatives. He has had the regular sprite and it seems to do fine but with the amount of sugar in it he doesn't want to drink it. The diet he's afraid will upset his tummy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated it.

People can certainly have allergies to all sorts of things, but there could be other issues that are effecting him. Has he gone to a gastroenterologist to have these discussions and work to pinpoint the issues. It could be a lot of other things.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited March 2018
    Just out of curiosity, is Dasani water one of the brands he has trouble with? If yes, he could maybe check out sulfite sensitivity, see if it matches.

It is something that can develop at any time and it can be hard to track down if one is sensitive enough- sulfites are often used during processing of ingredients and won’t be on labels unless above a certain amount, in that case.

But as I recall, they contaminate some caramel coloring, so darker sodas can be an issue, and some brands of water are higher in it ( most sulfite sensitive folks I know have more trouble with Dasani, for example). Tea can be an issue too.

If he wants to explore this, i recommend finding a good forum on it- medical sites are typically very out of date when it comes to what products currently have sulfite contamination. The folks with the allergy are much more motivated to keep up to date.

But all that said- many things that disturb the gut in general- allergies, triggered celiac disease, etc...- can sometimes cause gut damage that makes it hard to cope with many substances. So sometimes, what cause pain may not be the original problem, you know?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Setting off reflux is tricky because it's complicated.

Mio sets mine off, but Crystal lite/store brand powders don't. Neither does my Diet Mt Dew.

If he needs/wants the caffeine/flavor options, It's going to be a matter of experimenting until he figures out what's the actual trigger or triggers.