Weigh-in week: Week 2
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Previous week's weight: 198
    Current weight: 195.6

Finally some movement!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    March 12:
    Exercise: yes (steps galore + squats & counter level push ups)
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes

We all know that weight loss is not linear, well evidently blood sugar reduction is not linear, either. My morning fasting numbers seem stuck at around 110, but i had my lowest reading yet today after a very pleasant snack of sugar free pudding with peanuts. It may be sugar free, but it still has carbs!
  • mollymom07
    mollymom07 Posts: 91 Member
    March 12th

Exercise: Yes 14k steps on fitbit
    Calories: Yes
    Tracking: Yes
  • szymanskicolleen
    szymanskicolleen Posts: 29 Member
    I can weigh in every week but I'm not sure if I will remember to post daily. I'm a teacher and mom of 4 busy kids but I do go to the gym before school each day. Logging my food in the morning has been helpful.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    March 13
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 5km in 37 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

5km walk instead of the normal 6km. Wanted to see if I changed pace from what I was doing 4 months ago. Still about the same.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for March 13 is door frame rows ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
    • Third set

The reason for this exercise is push ups and dips work primarily the triceps (pushing). This exercise balances the others by working the biceps (pulling).

• craigo3154
    brunchowl wrote: »
    Username: brunchowl
    Weigh in Week: march week 2
    Weigh in Day: Monday
    Previous weight:189.8
    Current Weight: 192

This is a weird gain because my calories were correct. I'm hoping it is water retention and that I will see a "whoosh" soon.

@brunchowl. It's really only 2 lbs. This is within normal fluctuations even if steadily losing weight. Stick to plan and a woosh is likely.

If you want, PM me your age, height, activity level and target loss per week and I will verify what daily target calories is likely to be.
  • craigo3154
    username: jackswife1207
    Weigh in week 2-Monday
    SW: 218
    Last week: 217.8
    Today: 218

On Friday morning, I was down to 215.8. I had a conference Friday through Sunday all day. They fed us well! At least I'm not over starting weight! Today I'm back on track!

@jackswife1207. Social occasions where food on offer is not under you control are one of the dangers in weight management. Plans for these situations that work well for me are:
    • Drink water where possible
    • Drink before any meal (one to two glasses)
    • Preference protein and fat over carbohydrate (finish those parts of any offered meal first and try eat slowly so you know when you are full)
    • Remember you don't need to finish any meal offered

Enjoy these situations. You need breaks from routine occasionally. It really a matter of thinking before eating (ie. "Do I really want to eat this?")
  • craigo3154
    edited March 2018
    More importantly, my back is healing enough that I went for a 30 minute walk this morning at a good enough clip to warm up!

@concordancia. This is great news. I highly encourage the walking. Non-stressful movement often helps things like backs, hips and knees.
    We all know that weight loss is not linear, well evidently blood sugar reduction is not linear, either. My morning fasting numbers seem stuck at around 110, but i had my lowest reading yet today after a very pleasant snack of sugar free pudding with peanuts. It may be sugar free, but it still has carbs!

Sugar free pudding is still made with flour. Flour is fibre reduced carbs. This should still spike blood sugar, but the natural fats in peanuts should help slow the absorption.

Blood sugar is a partially a measure of insulin effectiveness. If you are regularly taking measurements, you should notice that:
    • Blood sugar rises sharply after carbs (especially those not consumed either not with fibre, or from gluten based sources)
    • Blood sugar rises, but not a sharply after protein rich food.
    • Blood sugar changes little with fatty food that is not carb rich.
    • Blood sugar falls and stays lower after exercise.
    • Blood sugar falls and flattens out the longer you do not eat.

The most effective type-2 treatments involve either low carb diets, or intermittent fasting (either 5:2 or 16:8).

The best thing you can try is try to eliminate snacking completely. Eat most calories at meal times. Most snack foods are carb rich anyway.

Next best thing is the daily activity (which you are doing). The longer you can delay consuming calories after activity, the better.
  • craigo3154
    eevang wrote: »
    Previous week's weight: 198
    Current weight: 195.6

Finally some movement!

@eevang. Well done. Just keep doing what you are doing. Always nice to have some success.
  • GoBlue1981
    GoBlue1981 Posts: 358 Member
    Happy weigh-in day to @Christinagillette and @Suly09 !
  • craigo3154
    I can weigh in every week but I'm not sure if I will remember to post daily. I'm a teacher and mom of 4 busy kids but I do go to the gym before school each day. Logging my food in the morning has been helpful.

@szymanskicolleen. Do what you can. Small steps.

You need to find out what works best for you. You do this through tracking and experimentation. What works well for others may not work well for you.

Even if the daily post is "Tracked, In budget and did XYZ activity", this helps. Having this public accountability I find often pushes you to do something so you can at least report something.
  • HSM2673
    HSM2673 Posts: 48 Member
    ChristinaGillette
    Starting weight: 153
    Week1 weight: 152.6
    Week2 weight: 151.6 :)
  • concordancia
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    • Blood sugar rises sharply after carbs (especially those not consumed either not with fibre, or from gluten based sources)

So far, the only thing that has caused a spike was beans, and that was when I first hurt my back, so it could have been the pain or the meds, or even the PMS. In general eating has had little effect (within 5-10 pre and post, both 1 and 2 hour), my fasting reading is usually my highest and it does not go down until after I eat something. Yesterday, I fasted until noon, that is, after my walk, and my 8am and 11am readings were about the same. I saw huge improvements the first two weeks of low carb, and then the last two weeks seem stuck just over 100. If I were to continue like this for another month, I would expect my next A1C to be very good, but still with less than ideal fasting numbers. That is, well within the ranges of diabetic control, but with the initial improvements both the dietician and I expected to be able to achieve normal numbers. Hopefully, being able to engage in more intense exercise again will help!
  • Suly09
    Suly09 Posts: 88 Member
    Suly09 wrote: »
    March 5th
    Exercised: Yes
    Tracked: Yes
    March 6 Weigh In day: : 146.4

Exercised: Yes
    Calories:No
    Tracked: Yes
    March 13 weigh in: 147.8. Not sure what happened. I have been feeling bloated and I did go over my calories twice this week but I hope to get back down at least to the original 146.4 this upcoming week.
  • concordancia
    March 13:
    Exercise: yes (steps + bike)
    Tracked: yes

I got an inordinate percentage of my calories by grazing today, but still a couple dozen under, so it is all good. I was also smart enough to get on the bike before the sea breeze started, so no headwind :)
  • craigo3154
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (64.5kg) 142.2
    Todays Weight: (64.5kg) 142.2

Been all around 64.5kg this week (down to 64.2, up to 64.8). Still well inside my maintenance limits.
  • craigo3154
    edited March 2018
    craigo3154 wrote: »

So far, the only thing that has caused a spike was beans, and that was when I first hurt my back, so it could have been the pain or the meds, or even the PMS. In general eating has had little effect (within 5-10 pre and post, both 1 and 2 hour), my fasting reading is usually my highest and it does not go down until after I eat something. Yesterday, I fasted until noon, that is, after my walk, and my 8am and 11am readings were about the same. I saw huge improvements the first two weeks of low carb, and then the last two weeks seem stuck just over 100. If I were to continue like this for another month, I would expect my next A1C to be very good, but still with less than ideal fasting numbers. That is, well within the ranges of diabetic control, but with the initial improvements both the dietician and I expected to be able to achieve normal numbers. Hopefully, being able to engage in more intense exercise again will help!

@concordancia. This is VERY unusual. Trying to work out how this can be even be possible. Only if your system is hyper-sensitive to insulin could eating lower blood sugar. (ie. the digestion causes the insulin release, the hyper-sensitive cells soak the blood sugar quicker than the pancreas can change states to stop producing insulin and start producing glucagon to restore the needed blood sugar levels).

Digestion of food should INCREASE blood sugar until insulin has the ability to transport it into cells or store it in the liver's glycogen store (or combine into fat for storage in fat cells).

Once blood sugar falls to a sufficient level, the pancreas stops releasing insulin and starts releasing glucagon. Glucagon is the "anti-insulin" and triggers the release of glucose from the livers glycogen stores and commences the breakdown of fats.

A person without diabetes has a normal fasting reading between 80 and 110. This is what the pancreas should manage the body to maintain with insulin and glucagon. If you below 110 a few hours after eating, then all is good. A person NEEDS a minimum level of blood sugar to keep the brain running. Too little then "hypo" event. Too much then long term damage to eyes, kidneys, etc... (normal diabetic type 2 problems).

Blood sugar is one measure that CAN be too low. 80-100 is the "goldilocks" zone. Stuck round 100 is a GOOD thing. Do not try to push it lower, only worry when it starts staying over 110.

If your A1C is test comes back below 110 you are doing excellent (and not even considered pre-diabetic). 110 to 135 is pre-diabetic, 135+ is diabetic.
    I got an inordinate percentage of my calories by grazing today, but still a couple dozen under, so it is all good. I was also smart enough to get on the bike before the sea breeze started, so no headwind :)

Just as a side-note. Normally, for people trying to control blood sugar (ie. with pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes), grazing the probably the WORST thing you can do. You WANT the blood sugar levels to be at normal "fasting levels" for as LONG as possible to restore the bodies insulin sensitivity.
  • craigo3154
    Suly09 wrote: »
    March 13 weigh in: 147.8. Not sure what happened. I have been feeling bloated and I did go over my calories twice this week but I hope to get back down at least to the original 146.4 this upcoming week.

@Suly09. Don't sweat it too much. As long as you have been "mostly" good. Weight should soon come off.

If feeling bloated, then it's probably water retention. The good thing is that in these circumstances, weight usually goes down as quick as it goes up.

Just stick to plan and all will be good.
  • GoBlue1981
    GoBlue1981 Posts: 358 Member
  • JessieCanDoThis
    JessieCanDoThis Posts: 46 Member
    Username: JessieCanDoThis
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: 268.8 lbs
    Todays Weight: 267.4 lbs (-1.4 lbs)

Last week I slacked off with the gym. I did also have a down day of eating and felt horrible about it. Monday I did Zumba and changed my workout routine for the first time since I’ve been working out. I burned the most calories and had the most steps that day (over 15,000!) so I’m trying to see what works for me. But I know I have to work out at least 4 times a week to lose the weight. At least I am close to my 1.5 lb loss for the week.
This discussion has been closed.