123.5 lbs/5'7 female, maintaining on 2300 calories

Hi, I'm a 5'7 22 year old girl and I currently weight 123.5 lbs. I work out about 3/4 times a week for about an hour (weight lifting + cardio, 50/50). About 2 years ago, I recovered from anorexia and I know this influences the amount of calories you need for a long period after you've recovered. However, I'm now barely maintaining at 2300 calories. I might even eat more, I sometimes don't log all my food. It just seems like a lot. Are there others with this sort of situation?

Replies

• tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Hi, I'm a 5'7 22 year old girl and I currently weight 123.5 lbs. I work out about 3/4 times a week for about an hour (weight lifting + cardio, 50/50). About 2 years ago, I recovered from anorexia and I know this influences the amount of calories you need for a long period after you've recovered. However, I'm now barely maintaining at 2300 calories. I might even eat more, I sometimes don't log all my food. It just seems like a lot. Are there others with this sort of situation?

Sounds like you are doing great to me! You've probably backed on some serious muscle with all that weight lifting. Muscle is metabolically expensive. The more muscle you have the more you burn. So build that muscle girl and support it with great eating.

And pat yourself on the back. You've come a long way. Being able to eat 2300 and maintain your physique means you've worked hard. Way to go!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Congratulations on your recovery and weight maintenance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    And, keep in mind that it is entirely your eating disorder telling you that 2300 calories is a lot of food. 2300 isn't a lot, and especially not when you're active.

This.

You might want to confirm it with your treatment team
  • laura9503
    laura9503 Posts: 43 Member
    Thanks for the replies! Really helpful to hear all your experiences! I'll just keep eating and working out as I'm doing now :) And indeed, it probably stems from my previous ED thoughts that I see 2300 as a lot
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    It's definitely not a lot. I am shorter than you and eat average of 2300/2400 ish a day. You workout for 2 hours a day 3/4 times a week so I would expect you to maintain on more. Don't worry or let your mind tell you you are eating too much.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Congrats on maintaining, 2300 isn't alot for your height, if you are still losing you'll need to bump up your calories a bit more.
  • laura9503
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I maintain somewhere around that level (gross calories eaten), maybe a little more, at 5'5", 120s, age 62, sedentary/retired daily life, around 1-1.5 hours daily vigorous intentional exercise 6 days a week (spin class, on-water rowing, rowing machine, weight training, mostly).

Admittedly, I have an unusually high burn for my size and activity level, but I would hope it would still reassure you that 2300 is not off the map for someone taller, active, and 40 years younger! ;)

Ahh thank you! If anything this is inspiring
  • LaurenFong
    LaurenFong Posts: 1 Member
    Glad to see your post. Having similar challenges. Am 39yo female 5'7" 121# was 147# a year or so ago. Lost weight from stress and not eating very much, not from diet plans. I don't workout but i work at a grocery store, standing, running around, stocking, etc. Am having a difficult time maintaining weight. Eating lots of sweets everyday, and it feels like I'm eating a lot, but still losing weight. So just started tracking calories today. Think nutrient absorption is altered after prolonged fasting like anorexia. I used to eat 1200 calories and walk a hour a day when I weighed 145 and couldn't lose weight. Metabolism changes. Thanks for your post, good luck.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    I’m 5’7 and I was about 120 for a long time.
    That number seems spot on, maybe a bit low depending on the intensity of your workouts.

Keep up the great work.:)
  • laura9503
    My weight actually just dropped to 122 lbs which was quite shocking to me. I haven't worked out in 2 weeks now due to my health (going to see the doctor tomorrow) so maybe it's muscle? I do notice that today I'm verrrry hungry so I'm giving in to it and not paying too much attention to my calories. Apparently my body needs a bit more to sustain right now. But thanks for all the comments, it has changed my view on the amount of calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    My weight actually just dropped to 122 lbs which was quite shocking to me. I haven't worked out in 2 weeks now due to my health (going to see the doctor tomorrow) so maybe it's muscle? I do notice that today I'm verrrry hungry so I'm giving in to it and not paying too much attention to my calories. Apparently my body needs a bit more to sustain right now. But thanks for all the comments, it has changed my view on the amount of calories.

More likely water weight drop from dropping exercise for a couple of weeks (reduced muscle repair happening). The amount is well within the scope of normal day to day fluctuation.

If you're having health issues, eating at least maintenance is a really good plan. Healing is priority one.

Hope your health turns around soon!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Hi Laura, I see a weight drop when I take a few rest days as well. Stick with your doctor checkups! I just want to echo what others have said- 2300 is not a lot of food for an active female your age and height. We get really warped not just from our own issues, but from all the 1200 and 1500 calorie diet crap. Keep getting support and sanity checks from a healthy community- it sounds like you are doing great.