Ketogenic diet

Replies

• vanilla_frosting
    vanilla_frosting Posts: 104 Member
    Zodiac diet: Exercise that gives you the illusion of merging with the universe—yoga, rock climbing, running. To avoid going off the deep end, opt for a rational, three-meal-a-day diet—and hang on to your scales.

I don't think that could have been more vague.

Blood type diet: Avoid corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts, and sesame seeds. Chicken is also problematic, D'Adamo says. He encourages eating green vegetables, eggs, certain meats, and low-fat dairy.

I think I'll stick to what I've been doing. Eating anything I want and keeping track. :)
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Zodiac diet: Exercise that gives you the illusion of merging with the universe—yoga, rock climbing, running. To avoid going off the deep end, opt for a rational, three-meal-a-day diet—and hang on to your scales.

I don't think that could have been more vague.

Blood type diet: Avoid corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts, and sesame seeds. Chicken is also problematic, D'Adamo says. He encourages eating green vegetables, eggs, certain meats, and low-fat dairy.

I think I'll stick to what I've been doing. Eating anything I want and keeping track. :)

Agreed!

Ugh ... low fat dairy?!?! I need all the fat in my yummy cheeses and peanut butter for my blood type haha
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Andrea4456 wrote: »
    - Reduces inflammation in just a few days (ie: lower bp)
    - Gets one off the sugar rollercoaster that drives many ppl to overeat in the first place
    - Eliminates foods that have zero nutritional value from your diet, naturally
    - Allows you to eat rich versions of your favorite foods again (milk, whole fat cheese, bacon)
    - Improves dental health drastically (no sugar or carbs to give you plague)
    - Better mental health (once you're no longer a sugar burner)

These are just a few of the many benefits of low carb lifestyle...

That all sounds like it was copied directly off some woo keto propaganda site like dietdoctor. Too bad there's no science to back it up.

While most of the list is a bit much, I wouldn't say there is no science to support some of it, but it's far from conclusive and generally primarily. Often the studies that support reduced inflammation markers also include weight loss or where done with mouse/rats. I think there is enough evidence to support that all metabolic markers generally improve with weight loss and exercise, understanding there are always exceptions.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    - Gets one off the sugar rollercoaster that drives many ppl to overeat in the first place
    - Allows you to eat rich versions of your favorite foods again (milk, whole fat cheese, bacon)

- Inflammation is such a misunderstood term.
    - Sugar rollercoaster is in the eyes of the beholder. I rarely overeat sugary foods.
    - I don't feel the need to eliminate less nutritious foods completely, that would be detrimental to my mental and social health. For what it's worth, oil and butter are nutritionally poor and provide little benefit beyond the essential amounts of fat needed.
    - I eat rich versions of my favorite foods without having to go low carb, but on low carb, I can't eat more than half of my favorite foods (beans, fruits, lots of tomatoes, a whole eggplant, potatoes, pizza...etc).
    - I have a toothbrush and a dentist mother.
    - Mental health was the exact reason I could not continue with the diet. Low carbing affects my brain chemistry in extremely unpleasant ways.

These are just a few of many reasons why low carb is not for everyone, nor is better than other diets.

To the bolded, it was the same for me and I wish keto dieters were less eager to erase our experiences. I've been told by certain ketoers on this board that I should have kept going and pushed through, which is advice that could get someone hurt very quickly if they don't experience the magical side effects of the All Healing Keto.

I'm not going to push keto on someone who has have tried it and found it doesn't work, just like I don't like it when someone suggests "eat any food you want and just limit the quantities" when someone has tried it and it doesn't work.

For me, it is like telling an alcoholic they can drink beer as long as they limit to 2 per day. Assume I'm the alcoholic that can't stop once I start with 1 beer. If you tell me to limit to 2 per day, that might work for the first day, but by the 2nd or 3rd day; I'm likely to drink 3 or 4 or 20 beers.

I freely admit that CICO works for some people, but it doesn't work for me. Where I get frustrated is when I hear that a very low carb diet can't work for anybody and that it is unsustainable. It is certainly unsustainable for some people, but why does that automatically extrapolate to that it isn't sustainable for anybody?

CICO is just a description of how weight loss happens, your calories in are less than your calories out. It works for everyone. I think what you might mean is that different people might use different strategies to make reaching a certain calorie goal feel "easier" or more sustainable and that some people find it too challenging to just limit calories without implementing additional restrictions on the types of food they eat or certain macronutrients.
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So the weird thing about the Zodiac diet is that as a Sagittarius I'm pretty sure I'd have to eat a lot of oats and maybe some apples -- carbs, right? Should we sort the signs by their fitness to keto? Leo seems like a good candidate, for sure, but some of them have always confused me from a dietary perspective (Libra?).

My sister is a Taurus, are grain fed Taurans okay, or does she need to focus only on grass (she'll be seriously bummed). Presumably beef is out of the question; that's like cannibalism, so icky.

So as a Capricorn, I'm supposed to avoid chocolate, sugar, and spicy foods (so they want me to be miserable), I supposedly am susceptible to alcoholism so I should avoid alcohol (more miserable), I need lots of calcium and protein so dairy is recommended, and then arbitrarily I'm encouraged to eat leeks, beef, kale, quinoa, cauliflower, and cranberries. I guess that could work for keto?

However, my blood type is AB. As per the blood type diet, I have low stomach acid and do not digest meat well, so I should avoid it or at least eat in very small portions. I am supposed to eat fish though, so I guess you could make keto work if you wanted to load up on the fish. This diet also tells me to cut out alcohol (and caffeine), so they can kiss my heiny as well.

The symbol for Capricorn is a goat with a fish tail. This could get confusing. I think I'm just going to eat what I'm already eating. If keto works for you, more power to ya.

Capricorn also makes you the Messiah.

Or a very naughty boy.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

- Inflammation is such a misunderstood term.
    - Sugar rollercoaster is in the eyes of the beholder. I rarely overeat sugary foods.
    - I don't feel the need to eliminate less nutritious foods completely, that would be detrimental to my mental and social health. For what it's worth, oil and butter are nutritionally poor and provide little benefit beyond the essential amounts of fat needed.
    - I eat rich versions of my favorite foods without having to go low carb, but on low carb, I can't eat more than half of my favorite foods (beans, fruits, lots of tomatoes, a whole eggplant, potatoes, pizza...etc).
    - I have a toothbrush and a dentist mother.
    - Mental health was the exact reason I could not continue with the diet. Low carbing affects my brain chemistry in extremely unpleasant ways.

These are just a few of many reasons why low carb is not for everyone, nor is better than other diets.

To the bolded, it was the same for me and I wish keto dieters were less eager to erase our experiences. I've been told by certain ketoers on this board that I should have kept going and pushed through, which is advice that could get someone hurt very quickly if they don't experience the magical side effects of the All Healing Keto.

I'm not going to push keto on someone who has have tried it and found it doesn't work, just like I don't like it when someone suggests "eat any food you want and just limit the quantities" when someone has tried it and it doesn't work.

For me, it is like telling an alcoholic they can drink beer as long as they limit to 2 per day. Assume I'm the alcoholic that can't stop once I start with 1 beer. If you tell me to limit to 2 per day, that might work for the first day, but by the 2nd or 3rd day; I'm likely to drink 3 or 4 or 20 beers.

I freely admit that CICO works for some people, but it doesn't work for me. Where I get frustrated is when I hear that a very low carb diet can't work for anybody and that it is unsustainable. It is certainly unsustainable for some people, but why does that automatically extrapolate to that it isn't sustainable for anybody?

I'm sorry? Where have I ever indicated that it isn't sustainable for anybody? Ever? Where have I indicated this? Every keto thread I've ever entered -- and this is why I stop entering them very often -- I've clearly stated up front that keto works very well for some people. It's great if it works for you. I'm happy for you. I actively want people to try different diets and see what works for them. But I'm discussing the original quote in this string which made no such caveats.

I never said you, specifically, said keto is not sustainable.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    I'm currently on a keto diet for my epilepsy which is a bit different than the standard keto. For neuro conditions it's 80-90% fat, 5-15% protein, 0-5% carbs (which is what I'm following). Fat doesn't fill be up like protein/carbs do unfortunately. The good thing though is my seizures have been decreasing. Surprisingly, I'm rapidly losing weight (Even though that wasn't my original intention) despite eating over 2,500 calories and over 200 grams of fat. I use a minimum of 12 tablespoons of coconut oil per day. Its really good in recipes! Cellulite is disappearing so I guess that's a plus lol. And my blood sugar crashes finally stopped.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I'm currently on a keto diet for my epilepsy which is a bit different than the standard keto. For neuro conditions it's 80-90% fat, 5-15% protein, 0-5% carbs (which is what I'm following). Fat doesn't fill be up like protein/carbs do unfortunately. The good thing though is my seizures have been decreasing. Surprisingly, I'm rapidly losing weight (Even though that wasn't my original intention) despite eating over 2,500 calories and over 200 grams of fat. I use a minimum of 12 tablespoons of coconut oil per day. Its really good in recipes! Cellulite is disappearing so I guess that's a plus lol. And my blood sugar crashes finally stopped.

were your seizures due to your blood sugar crashing? are you diabetic too or? what do you mean rapidly losing weight? and how do you measure your food intake? because rapid weight loss is usually from a very high deficit which should not be the case if you are really eating 2500 calories, unless you are on the go all day every day,or you have an underlying health issue causing it that you dont know about.