Milk as a meal replacement

2»

Replies

• rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    My body builds muscle very quickly so the bulking is pretty easy, but the waist line is quite stubborn. I think a lot has to do with the type of running i have been doing. Last year was lower heartrate stuff (first time actively running as exercise) and I gained my shape relatively quickly. This year I was doing a lot more at a higher heartrate but as I have been reading that burns muscle while leaving fat. So I'm changing up my running to be lower speed to keep the heartrate down around 140 bpm.

So you think you have more belly fat because your heart rate was too high?

:|
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited March 2018
    aeloine wrote: »
    mark rippetoe recommends a gallon of milk a day for those who are bulking.
    But even he realizes that that is rather boring.

Wow a gallon of milk? If your talking homogenized milk, a gallon is 2500 calories. Skim milk would be around 1300 calories and 144 grams of protein. You would obviously get more from homogenized but if I was bulking up, I would go with skim so I could at least eat 1200 calories worth of food (lol). Felicia, I would go with skim milk and protein powder with a banana and some other fruit to make a smoothie. Figure out what else you could put in your smoothie to equal your 440 calories. I think you would enjoy that and feel fuller than just a plain glass of milk. Just my opinion on what I would do.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Sounds fine if you're happy not to chew...

Is there a reason you need such a low fat plan?

The low fat/high protein diet plan is because I'm trying to work on lowering the stomach fat (to accent the waist) while bulking up the legs (I run & cycle a lot) - I have an inverted triangle shape which I'm working on changing as much as I can to an hourglass.

Granted it would be terribly boring and TBH I would probably (at most!) use it to replace one meal - probably lunch. I just figured out the numbers and was wondering if anyone had actually done it.

My body builds muscle very quickly so the bulking is pretty easy, but the waist line is quite stubborn. I think a lot has to do with the type of running i have been doing. Last year was lower heartrate stuff (first time actively running as exercise) and I gained my shape relatively quickly. This year I was doing a lot more at a higher heartrate but as I have been reading that burns muscle while leaving fat. So I'm changing up my running to be lower speed to keep the heartrate down around 140 bpm.

Higher intensity cardio burns a higher % of carbs (not protein/muscle) than fat (I think ~70% carbs to ~30% fat) than lower intensity cardio, which burns more fat than carbs percentage-wise, but the OVERALL burn still results in as much or more fat being burned from high intensity cardio than low intensity cardio, regardless of that % switch. "Activities" that burn the highest fat to carb % are sleeping or sitting on the couch, which primarily burns fat, but obviously burns very little of it because there is little overall burn while sleeping. If you really want to incorporate cardio that burns mostly fat, stick to walking.

https://www.builtlean.com/2013/04/01/fat-burning-zone-myth/
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Not as a meal replacement but I had it as a post-workout meal. I used to eat protein bars with decent macros (I said decent, not amazing) then I noticed they had exactly the same macros as 1% milk so I thought better have one ingredient than a thousand. Because after all that's the point with protein bars, too many ingredients for my liking and they are not filling anyway. Neither is milk though.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited March 2018
    oilphins wrote: »

Wow a gallon of milk? If your talking homogenized milk, a gallon is 2500 calories. Skim milk would be around 1300 calories and 144 grams of protein. You would obviously get more from homogenized but if I was bulking up, I would go with skim so I could at least eat 1200 calories worth of food (lol). Felicia, I would go with skim milk and protein powder with a banana and some other fruit to make a smoothie. Figure out what else you could put in your smoothie to equal your 440 calories. I think you would enjoy that and feel fuller than just a plain glass of milk. Just my opinion on what I would do.

Nope. Whole milk PLUS maintenance calories in food. It's a very SPECIAL set of circumstances that lends itself to gallon of milk drinking.
    What is GOMAD?

As I mentioned earlier, on this diet, one is drinking an entire gallon of milk per day. Read that again. This gallon of milk is in addition to your normal meals for the day. Let’s take the average intake of a young male who is physically active and weight training. We’ll agree his average maintenance intake is about 2500-3000 kcals depending on multiple factors.

Now let’s look at what this diet actually recommends in terms of intake. A regular, whole-fat gallon of milk is ~2430 kcals (128g protein, 192g carbohydrate, 128g fat).

That’s a ton of calories coming from one source of food; hell, that’s the maintenance intake of many.

Then we have the rest of your daily meals added into ones energy intake. After all is ingested, we’re looking at a 5000-5500 kcal intake for the day. Boatloads of food!

This diet particularly became popular with young guys who needed to add some quality size to their frame. I’ve read in multiple places this is what Mark Rippetoe, author of Starting Strength, often suggests to underweight teenage boys in search of a big squat, bench, deadlift and a beefy frame.

Source: https://jcdfitness.com/2010/04/gomad-gallon-of-milk-per-day-is-it-for-everyone/

ALSO, the man himself on the subject:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HV-wvNa2GM
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member

Let your milk set on out for a couple of days? Then it'd be chew-able :#

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    If you like it and it fills you up.

My thoughts are that there are better sources of fat than milk fat (if I'm getting 10 g of dairy fat, I want cheese, but that's me).

I wouldn't find it sating and also I don't think I could drink that much milk, about a cup is my max, but I don't like milk all that much (cheese, yogurt, and cottage cheese I love).

But as you can see my objections are basically personal preferences. If yours are different and you aren't just thinking that finding an alternative is going to be hard, I'd say try it and see.
  • lemurcat12

It's common to add milk for those who are hard gainers and have trouble eating the calories they need to when bulking. Mostly because it's not that filling for many, so in that case extra calories are a plus.
  • missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    I use Coffee/Matcha Latte as a snack. I'm not overly sensitive to caffeine, so I don't need it to get awake, but the coffee/tea makes it a bit more interesting (sometimes even decaf) and increases the volume without adding more calories.
    For me, the milk calms down the hunger, so it's a perfect snack when I'm more or less out of calories but need something to not get crazy. It's easy "to go" when I have choir practice or a long evening with appointments ahead.
  • oilphins

Nope. Whole milk PLUS maintenance calories in food. It's a very SPECIAL set of circumstances that lends itself to gallon of milk drinking.
    What is GOMAD?

As I mentioned earlier, on this diet, one is drinking an entire gallon of milk per day. Read that again. This gallon of milk is in addition to your normal meals for the day. Let’s take the average intake of a young male who is physically active and weight training. We’ll agree his average maintenance intake is about 2500-3000 kcals depending on multiple factors.

Now let’s look at what this diet actually recommends in terms of intake. A regular, whole-fat gallon of milk is ~2430 kcals (128g protein, 192g carbohydrate, 128g fat).

That’s a ton of calories coming from one source of food; hell, that’s the maintenance intake of many.

Then we have the rest of your daily meals added into ones energy intake. After all is ingested, we’re looking at a 5000-5500 kcal intake for the day. Boatloads of food!

This diet particularly became popular with young guys who needed to add some quality size to their frame. I’ve read in multiple places this is what Mark Rippetoe, author of Starting Strength, often suggests to underweight teenage boys in search of a big squat, bench, deadlift and a beefy frame.

Source: https://jcdfitness.com/2010/04/gomad-gallon-of-milk-per-day-is-it-for-everyone/

Everything you just commented on may be helpful for someone else. As usual in mfp everyone is getting away from the OP's situation and talking about other people and what they would do. My suggestion is for HER and not a young guy in his 20's. She's not going to ingest 5500 calories, is not bulking up, is not going to drink a gallon of milk and isn't a young guy in her 20's so not really sure why you commented on all this info from what I suggested. I find it really funny sometimes when somebody asks a question or suggests something and 50 responses later, everyone's talking about what's good for everyone else except her. This info you just suggested won't help her (lol). Just saying.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

Is there a reason you need such a low fat plan?

The low fat/high protein diet plan is because I'm trying to work on lowering the stomach fat (to accent the waist) while bulking up the legs (I run & cycle a lot) - I have an inverted triangle shape which I'm working on changing as much as I can to an hourglass.

Granted it would be terribly boring and TBH I would probably (at most!) use it to replace one meal - probably lunch. I just figured out the numbers and was wondering if anyone had actually done it.

This diet plan is not a thing.

Some studies have found that strength training, of various forms of exercise, was associated with the greatest reduction in waist circumference. Add some. You should strength train anyway for the health benefits.

Having a disproportionately high waist size can also be associated with insulin resistance in diabetes or prediabetes, PCOS, or Cushing's disease. Have some blood work run if you haven't recently. If you do have one of these medical issues, they are helped by reducing carbs, not fat. If your waist size isn't caused by a medical issue, a fancy diet won't cause you to spot reduce, because spot reducing does not work.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Other foods that naturally have a near perfect macro ratio are nuts and Edamame.

You might notice the fiber is missing.

I digest yogurt better than milk. You might try yogurt and oats to get yourself more fiber.
  • lemurcat12

What is GOMAD?

Everything you just commented on may be helpful for someone else. As usual in mfp everyone is getting away from the OP's situation and talking about other people and what they would do.

No one recommended that OP consume a gallon of milk, are you confused about that?
    My suggestion is for HER and not a young guy in his 20's. She's not going to ingest 5500 calories, is not bulking up, is not going to drink a gallon of milk and isn't a young guy in her 20's so not really sure why you commented on all this info from what I suggested.

The comments have been about OP's idea of consuming milk for a meal. She said it fits her calories (she wasn't planning on having a gallon). The comment that someone made about Rippetoe was an interesting aside given the topic of the thread, not advice for OP who is not bulking.
    I find it really funny sometimes when somebody asks a question or suggests something and 50 responses later, everyone's talking about what's good for everyone else except her. This info you just suggested won't help her (lol). Just saying.

You said that the milk wouldn't be satisfying for YOU and recommended something else. Specifically, you suggested that instead of the milk only she have a meal with milk (skim), fruit, and protein powder (which means basically no fat), when she said the calories and macros of the milk were exactly what she wanted.

Yes, for you the protein powder and fruit and milk thing might be more satisfying (I also said that milk only wouldn't work for me, but neither would what you suggested), but that doesn't mean that what works for you (or me) would work for OP, so I'm puzzled as to why you think you were helpful and others were not.
  • RobinAlex666
    RobinAlex666 Posts: 144 Member
    sometimes I take a glass of milk or two if I'm running out the door with no time to make food. It holds me for a few hours, but then I need to eat again.
  • oilphins
    edited March 2018
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

What is GOMAD?

Everything you just commented on may be helpful for someone else. As usual in mfp everyone is getting away from the OP's situation and talking about other people and what they would do.

No one recommended that OP consume a gallon of milk, are you confused about that?
    My suggestion is for HER and not a young guy in his 20's. She's not going to ingest 5500 calories, is not bulking up, is not going to drink a gallon of milk and isn't a young guy in her 20's so not really sure why you commented on all this info from what I suggested.

The comments have been about OP's idea of consuming milk for a meal. She said it fits her calories (she wasn't planning on having a gallon). The comment that someone made about Rippetoe was an interesting aside given the topic of the thread, not advice for OP who is not bulking.
    I find it really funny sometimes when somebody asks a question or suggests something and 50 responses later, everyone's talking about what's good for everyone else except her. This info you just suggested won't help her (lol). Just saying.

You said that the milk wouldn't be satisfying for YOU and recommended something else. Specifically, you suggested that instead of the milk only she have a meal with milk (skim), fruit, and protein powder (which means basically no fat), when she said the calories and macros of the milk were exactly what she wanted.

Yes, for you the protein powder and fruit and milk thing might be more satisfying (I also said that milk only wouldn't work for me, but neither would what you suggested), but that doesn't mean that what works for you (or me) would work for OP, so I'm puzzled as to why you think you were helpful and others were not.

Aeloine started talking about young guys in their 20's who bulk up by drinking a gallon of milk which had NOTHING to do with what the op said. All she was doing was asking if 1CUP of milk was sufficient, not a gallon. Do you think she cares about young guys in their 20's drinking a gallon of milk and ingesting 5500 calories a day???? That's not what she asked. Now you see my point about people talking about something that has nothing to do with what she asked?? Get it now? Hope your not confused now. (lol)
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm not a 'big breakfast' eater, but I do like to have 'something'. A cup of milk sometimes hits the mark for me, but I usually get hungry a little earlier than normal when that's all I eat. And I need the calcium.