SI Joint/Lower back pain ... Can't work out :(

2»

Replies

• DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    I injured my SI about 6 months ago, I was lifting heavy at the time, but never experienced anything which seemed to be the cause of the injury, I just went in one day to lift and it started feeling unstable and painful, especially when sitting. Seeing a chiropractor seemed to help when it flares up, however after many visits and still not having relief I decided to stop going and stopped lifting for several months. I'm still experiencing pain even with no lifting and after several months of rest. I'm trying to get back to training now and just doing things that don't hurt. (Light squats, Leg press and back extensions have been alright for me if it's not flared up. Deadlifting is a no go.)

I would be cautious if you try to train around it. If it is related to a muscle imbalances (my chiro and I think mine is) you don't want to further the imbalance by continuing to train the stronger areas and neglect the weaker ones. Just doing leg curls/extensions isn't a very balanced approach imo.

I hope your doctor is able to help you. I would love to get an MRI or something so I can learn more, but I don't have insurance and am usually turned down for expensive things that are considered non emergencies.. Sigh.

What do you think would be more balanced for leg work?
    Back row, bench press and OHP are still in my routine, but I’m planning on taking a week or two off from lifting since I have a race coming up.

Compound movements are typically better than isolation work.
    I'm no expert of course, and as mentioned haven't worked with anyone but my chiro.. but in general you're losing a lot of stabilization work, core and lower back work by only doing iso's like leg curl/leg exten. For me, we think my issue may have stemmed from my core and lower back being weak in comparison to my legs. I don't have all the answers yet (and you may not even have the same issue as I do) But only doing leg isolation in my case would have been a bad idea.

Oh, I totally understand you. I normally do not do isolation work.
    My routine consists of squats, deadlifts, barbell row. OHP and bench press.
    But since it hurts to do the squats and deadlifts, I was wondering if I should do the curls and extensions to keep my legs active ....
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited March 2018
    Oh hell yes, I know all too well if SI pain. As a massage therapist I can't treatment myself to Trigger Point Therapy too well but I have overcome lower back problems with yoga, particularly Pigeon, Tailors, Seated cross leg forward bend and The Piriformis stretch whilst still deadlifting, squatting and lunging.

Regular chiropractic treatment helps too.

The most effective was to stretch the quads in order to help the hamstrings, known as agonist and antagonist muscle groups, one helps the other push whilst the other pulls.

This is from the Tapp Brothers on YouTube -

https://youtu.be/oGhLTWsX6Vw
  • DJ_Skywalker
    Oh hell yes, I know all too well if SI pain. As a massage therapist I can't treatment myself to Trigger Point Therapy too well but I have overcome lower back problems with yoga, particularly Pigeon, Tailors, Seated cross leg forward bend and The Piriformis stretch whilst still deadlifting, squatting and lunging.

Regular chiropractic treatment helps too.

The most effective was to stretch the quads in order to help the hamstrings, known as agonist and antagonist muscle groups, one helps the other push whilst the other pulls.

This is from the Tapp Brothers on YouTube -

https://youtu.be/oGhLTWsX6Vw

Thank you for sharing!
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Grimmerick wrote: »
    boehle wrote: »
    I have had lower back pains for a few month.
    I finally saw a doctor Monday. I have scoliosis and he thinks I am pinching some ligaments. He'd like me to get a MRI right away but have to go the correct route for Insurance to pay and I have an Xray today, which will more than likely be pointless.

I hope your pain begins to lessen in time. I got a back roller and it helps for a little bit but then I am back to pain. I do have some muscle relaxers for night and some stronger ibuprofen for during the day.

Hey there, so a lot of insurance won't cover an mri unless you have an xray first. Since xrays are less expensive if they can figure out what is going on with xrays first then it saves money and time. Xrays for scoliosis are important and should be done so they can measure the degree of your curve and keep up with it over time. It also allows them to measure alignment of your pelvis and shoulders in relation to your spine. MRI you are like a loaf of bread and they slice you up and pull out a piece and look at it, xrays everything is superimposed and you are standing so they can get their measurements. Both modalities can be important especially for scoliosis. MRI is more for soft tissue structures and xray is more for bones and alignment. I hope this helps you to understand the thought process and makes paying for it a little less painful ;)

Well I got my results and do not quite understand them so hopefully the doctor will get back to me soon.

Julie,
    Xray shows mild degenerative changes.
    Follow up and treatment is the same .. If symptoms persist we will get Orthopedic Referral
    FINDINGS:
    Multiple views of the lumbar spine demonstrate five non-rib-bearing lumbar
    type vertebral bodies. There is no acute fracture or subluxation. The lower
    thoracic and lumbar vertebral bodies are normal in height and alignment. The
    posterior elements are intact and aligned. There is mild disc space loss,
    endplate sclerosis, and endplate spondylosis at T11-T12. The remaining disc
    spaces are preserved. No destructive osseous lesion is seen. The sacrum and
    SI joints are unremarkable. No additional soft tissue abnormality is
    identified.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    If it's a ongoing injury, I would start exercising in water. You do sweat quite a bit doing exercises in water. it's low impact and you can hit the hot tub afterwards ;) I would also add resistence training into this as well
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited March 2018
    I finally saw a doctor Monday. I have scoliosis and he thinks I am pinching some ligaments. He'd like me to get a MRI right away but have to go the correct route for Insurance to pay and I have an Xray today, which will more than likely be pointless.

I hope your pain begins to lessen in time. I got a back roller and it helps for a little bit but then I am back to pain. I do have some muscle relaxers for night and some stronger ibuprofen for during the day.

Hey there, so a lot of insurance won't cover an mri unless you have an xray first. Since xrays are less expensive if they can figure out what is going on with xrays first then it saves money and time. Xrays for scoliosis are important and should be done so they can measure the degree of your curve and keep up with it over time. It also allows them to measure alignment of your pelvis and shoulders in relation to your spine. MRI you are like a loaf of bread and they slice you up and pull out a piece and look at it, xrays everything is superimposed and you are standing so they can get their measurements. Both modalities can be important especially for scoliosis. MRI is more for soft tissue structures and xray is more for bones and alignment. I hope this helps you to understand the thought process and makes paying for it a little less painful ;)

Well I got my results and do not quite understand them so hopefully the doctor will get back to me soon.

Julie,
    Follow up and treatment is the same .. If symptoms persist we will get Orthopedic Referral
    FINDINGS:
    identified.

Since the xrays are negative and you're still in pain, ask for an MRI which should reveal any soft tissue injuries undetected by the xrays.

PS: I am a strong advocate for NOT doing any exercise while injured to avoid making the problem worse and to allow your body to recover to allow it to get better.

This is hard to do for people, like you and others on MFP, who having been striving to lose weight and/or get stronger but it is really what you should to do when injured.

FWIW, even after not lifting for 3 yrs following my SI injury, I was able to come back and lift even more than I was lifting b4 the injury and I actually gained some additional LBM while losing fat to lower my BF level to below 10% (as measured by hydro) while in a cal deficit and during maintenance via recomp.

I'm not saying you should wait as long as I did to get back on track but, if for some reason it takes that long, there's no reason to despair.

If you remain healthy and eat well during the hiatus, you should bounce back quickly after your injury has been resolved.

Again, good luck! :)
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Waiting on ablation on my si joint nerves
    Due to osteoarthritis

I’ve had 2 courses of injections, now my consultant is going burn the nerves to hopefully
    Releave the pain for longer than the injections last
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I am just getting over something like that - I took time off and saw my chiropractor who helped me a lot. Now I'm just starting to pick up the weights again.

It's common but it's not easy.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Waiting a week or two until you see your doctor is not that long though. You're not going to lose a significant amount of muscle or strength in that time.

For Lower back, waiting a week or two for a first time injury is also diagnostic.

As in. If it's just spasm, it will be much better in a week or 2. If it's joint or disc it will be the same or worse.

Generally speaking.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited March 2018

Julie,
    FINDINGS:
    identified.

Time for an MRI just to make sure nothing soft tissue is going on. Degenerative changes can be normal with aging, disc space loss is definitely normal with age but usually starts in the low part of the lumbar. Did you ever have an injury to your spine, maybe when you were young? I remember you mentioned having scoliosis, did they not see that on the xray, if they did I figure they would have measured it or went further and obtained scoliosis xrays, I am a little surprised that they just did lumbar if they knew you were there for scoliosis as well? Do you maybe have just a thoracic scoliosis and it didn't show up in the lumbar films? Sorry so many questions haha

BTW get a copy of your Xrays burned to a disk, and if you get the MRI make them burn that to a disk as well. They are your images so you have a right to have them burned on a disk. This will help in future if you have to go anywhere else for your back, it gives the next person something to compare updated imaging too and also some Docs don't want to just read an xray report they want to see it for themselves, I consider that a good thing ;)
  • DJ_Skywalker
    Waiting a week or two until you see your doctor is not that long though. You're not going to lose a significant amount of muscle or strength in that time.

For Lower back, waiting a week or two for a first time injury is also diagnostic.

As in. If it's just spasm, it will be much better in a week or 2. If it's joint or disc it will be the same or worse.

Generally speaking.

This is basically what I’m trying to do ... trying my hardest to stay away from the gym and from doing lower lifts so I can assess.

Will be two weeks this Monday so I’m hoping it will begin to improve quickly :)