Best shoes

Suly09
Suly09 Posts: 88 Member
Hello. I do strength training and also treadmill on separate days. I need shoes that will work for both types of exercises (running and lifting), what shoes do you recommend? Also..Nikes or Adidas?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    You can lift wearing just socks. For running, you need a running shoe - running is a front to back motion.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2018
    I wouldn't advise running in anything other than a running shoe unless you're doing very short distances...like a mile or less. I wouldn't recommend wearing a running shoe to lift either. I don't really think there is a best shoe for the scenario you're talking about.

If your gym allows it, you could just lift in socks and wear your runners on the treadmill.

ETA: for running shoes, don't get all wrapped up in the brand. Go to a running store and get fitted...they will put you on a treadmill and analyze your gait and fit you to the appropriate shoe for your gait and generally bring out several pairs of shoes of different brands for you to try.

Brand wise, when I ran, I prefer Brooks Glycerin which is a neutral support shoe which I need because I supinate. I lift in Nike Metcons.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Personally I lift in socks or converse when the gym doesn't allow it. For running I use asics as I have found they usually give me the best support
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Brooks Ghost 10 and New Balance 880v6 are my running shoes....

but get your giat testing and fitted for proper running shoes, so many things are different about running shoes, the two I listed work for me because they have a bigger toe box without me having to go up another 1/2 size (I have a widish foot).

I wear socks to lift in but I have a pair of Ghost's that I retired and use these for lifting as well (I lift at home).
  • Suly09
    Suly09 Posts: 88 Member
    Thank you everyone. I have heard about using converse for lifting because your foot has to be flat so thats great I will continue using my converse for that.
    As for running, my ankles have been hurting and my calfs ...upon research I realized that it could be because I was wearing the wrong shoe. I will look into all the options you all mentioned. Thanks again.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    IMO (and I know many others will not agree) I LOVE my Vibram 5 Finger Running Shoes. Since I started wearing them, I have not had a single problem with my Plantar Fasciitis or shin splints. I've run half marathons in them but I haven't tried a full yet. I also lift in them.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    You can lift wearing just socks. For running, you need a running shoe - running is a front to back motion.

uqfbb4krzgjc.png
  • MostlyWater

uqfbb4krzgjc.png

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • MostlyWater
    Glynn20 wrote: »
    IMO (and I know many others will not agree) I LOVE my Vibram 5 Finger Running Shoes. Since I started wearing them, I have not had a single problem with my Plantar Fasciitis or shin splints. I've run half marathons in them but I haven't tried a full yet. I also lift in them.

I bought those for barefoot classes.

I wore them once to a Lower Body class and the teacher said I'm going to hurt myself in them. :(

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Suly09 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. I have heard about using converse for lifting because your foot has to be flat so thats great I will continue using my converse for that.
    As for running, my ankles have been hurting and my calfs ...upon research I realized that it could be because I was wearing the wrong shoe. I will look into all the options you all mentioned. Thanks again.

Get fit for shoes at a proper running shoe shop