The Calorie Culprit: Coffee Creamer

Replies

• DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    I love all the flavors too!!! Sometimes I use a teaspoon of Stevia if I need it to be more sweet. Chocolate Raspberry creamer and White Chocolate Macadamia are just right for me :) But, I always add a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream to get a nice creamy, fatty flavor and I am usually satisfied. My coffee is 85 - 105 calories a day ... I allow for those calories because I will not give up my morning coffee :)
  • jwilk241
    jwilk241 Posts: 43 Member
    Coffee Creamer! The one thing I must have with my coffee. It's loaded with calories and I'm not sure what to do!

I'm an avid coffee drinker (addict maybe Lol). About 3 cups a day every day since junior high. With that said, I loooove International Delight because of all of the amazing flavors.

It just racks on the calories with the blink of an eye- from 20 to 35 calories a tablespoon depending on if I use sugar free or not. I usually use 4 to 6 tablespoons depending on the size of my cup, not to mention I'll go back for another.

I need an alternative or some tips about how to save those calories. Are there coffee creamer alternatives that are less calories??

Also- I am willing to go to the black route completely. I already drink black coffee, but I only like it iced. I just can't boot the creamer.... nor the coffee...

Does anyone else relate???

Just slowly start using less and less creamer. Cut it down by 1 tablespoon and go a week drinking it that way. Keep cutting it by 1 tbsp until you get to the point where you're only adding 1 or 2 per cup (or black if you can make it that far). Also, consider cutting your coffee intake to no more than 2 cups (8oz) a day.
  • CrystalLFit
    CrystalLFit Posts: 9 Member
    Try switching to almond milk and splenda. Creamy and sweet.
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    zoedorman wrote: »
    jennygutt wrote: »
    I use Premier protein caramel for coffee creamer. Very good and adds protein too.
    Thats a great idea!!!

I like this idea too, thanks for sharing :)
  • At the start of our weight loss journey my husband and I gave up creamer in our coffee. WAY TOO MANY CALORIES. Instead of replacing it with something else we went on a coffee fast. After abstaining from coffee for a little while black coffee really wasn't that bad. Now I get my coffee fix in the morning with 0 calories and I really don't mind the taste at all.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Coffee Creamer! The one thing I must have with my coffee. It's loaded with calories and I'm not sure what to do!

I'm an avid coffee drinker (addict maybe Lol). About 3 cups a day every day since junior high. With that said, I loooove International Delight because of all of the amazing flavors.

It just racks on the calories with the blink of an eye- from 20 to 35 calories a tablespoon depending on if I use sugar free or not. I usually use 4 to 6 tablespoons depending on the size of my cup, not to mention I'll go back for another.

I need an alternative or some tips about how to save those calories. Are there coffee creamer alternatives that are less calories??

Also- I am willing to go to the black route completely. I already drink black coffee, but I only like it iced. I just can't boot the creamer.... nor the coffee...

4-6 tbls?

Why bother putting coffee in your creamer.

Just drink the creamer straight.

Well it's so many tablespoons because my mugs and travel cups are so big. I don't have standard 6oz coffee cups. I have huge cups lol. My coffee is slightly tan from the cream...... I only did the "coffee to my cream" in junior high.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    Suly09 wrote: »
    This!! https://store.skinnymixes.com/sugar-free-salted-caramel-syrup-p566direct.aspx?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CjwKCAjws6jVBRBZEiwAkIfZ2jEmdT_eaaoYL2-XP1mNUC5dG4qcGJnXZiElH5krwRNFbxgRq6Ug_hoCC14QAvD_BwE
    With almond milk. Delicious. And you dont need much, I just put a cap full in my cup, almond milk and then let the Keurig do its thing and TA-DA.

This sounds amazing!!! I LOVE adding almond milk to my coffee when take it to go. This will be a great way to cut the cream and still have great flavors!!! Thank you so much for the link. Definitely buying a bottle.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

Do you know the difference between a teaspoon and a tablespoon?

I like my coffee very white, and I use 3 heaped teaspoons of coffee creamer (4 grams), and all up it's 276 kilojoules (66 calories).

Theres no way you need 4-6 tablespoons.

Check your measurements in your diary. Cheers!

Hey! It depends on how big your cup is. I was straight up using 10 TABLEspoons when I first started logging, but I was using BIIIIIIIG travel mugs. And I could easily have two of those a day.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    This!! https://store.skinnymixes.com/sugar-free-salted-caramel-syrup-p566direct.aspx?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CjwKCAjws6jVBRBZEiwAkIfZ2jEmdT_eaaoYL2-XP1mNUC5dG4qcGJnXZiElH5krwRNFbxgRq6Ug_hoCC14QAvD_BwE
    With almond milk. Delicious. And you dont need much, I just put a cap full in my cup, almond milk and then let the Keurig do its thing and TA-DA.

This is the stuff that I use too. Quick note, if you go to Home Goods, they sell these for half price. I literally have a pantry shelf full of different flavors at this point.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    I used to eyeball my creamer thinking I was using 2-3 tbsp.... haven't measured how much I used to have but it was probably more like 1/4 of a cup! And that's if I had one coffee a day, let alone two or three. Now I actually measure out 2 tbsp and not a drop more. It's taken a while to get used to the different flavor, but the scale has actually started moving again so I'm fairly satisfied.
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    I use half and half. There is fat free half and half out there. I use both. I have cut way down from what I used before. I enjoy my coffee (it's the only thing I drink besides water). I've tried giving up my half and half but couldn't. So, I cut down-gradually.
  • Suly09
    Suly09 Posts: 88 Member
    aeloine wrote: »

This is the stuff that I use too. Quick note, if you go to Home Goods, they sell these for half price. I literally have a pantry shelf full of different flavors at this point.

Thats actually where I get it from. Cool! I barely found out and have only tried the salted caramel but so yummy, I will buy all the flavors soon too.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I've switched to the sugar free coffee creamers. They are 15 calories per TBS vs 30. I usually don't fix a second cup of coffee. If I want more coffee, I'll drink my cup about halfway or so, and top it off with more coffee, and not actually add any more creamer. I will do this 'til I feel like I have had enough coffee, lol.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    aeloine wrote: »

Oh really! HomeGoods! I never thought that they would have that. Thank you!!! That will save me from waiting for the mail man lol
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    I've slowly weaned myself off of sugar sweetened coffee and now I'm trying to do the same with my half n' half. It's slow but worth it.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    The Nestle line of Bliss has about 35 cal and a lot less crap in it.
  • whodeany1
    whodeany1 Posts: 13 Member
    I stopped drinking coffee and then said why. So, I started drinking it again and I use creamer too..I must have the french vanilla powdered stuff whereas I used to drink the International delight, and so the new creamer is about 30 calories. So what gives with this useless post? We'll, I am not giving up something I think that I want more than I need, so I gave up some other items instead...just giving up one other habit equalized it out for me. So try that...give up a donut or a candy bar or some other item that you can live without. Also, if it fits in your plan for daily intake.....don't give it up, there is no reason to give it up. I must go now, I have gone three minutes without my fix....feeling a little jittery.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Nut pods - only 10 cal per Tablespoon
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    I don’t count my coffee cals. But I don’t use creamer either. I do a splash of almond or cashew milk, and some truvia. The calories are negligible.