Staying hydrated

How much water do you guys drink when trying to lose weight? I try to do a gallon a day.

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I just drink when I'm thirsty, I don't really keep track. I do drink a whole bunch of tea - I like how it makes me feel warm and cozy in my cold office!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I never try to lose weight (if I decide to lose weight, I just eat a little less and move a little more), but I aim for a daily baseline of two liters, or eight cups; when I'm hot (I'm always hot, lol, I mean in hot weather etc), I drink more.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    I drink anywhere between 10 cups (~2.5 L) to a gallon a day. keeps my bloat down and skin glowing
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    There is such a thing as too much water. Listen to your body and drink when you are thirsty. Sometimes hunger signals are really thirst signals in disguise.
  • lucyl442
    lucyl442 Posts: 21 Member
    I drink around 110-150 fl oz a day
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    1.5 litres is optimum for me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Why to you feel the need to try to achieve a certain number?
    Why do you think drinking a lot of water is linked to losing weight? (it isn't.)

Are your actual water needs the same every day? (I'm going to be needing an awful lot today, yesterday I didn't.)

I drink to my thirst and needs not some arbitrary formula or target.
    Hydration also doesn't just come from drinking plain water.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    alvakathyy wrote: »
    According to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, women should consume approximately 2.7 liters (91 ounces or just over 11 eight-ounce cups) of total water each day (for men, 125 ounces or 15.5 cups). Practice these 10 hydration techniques to get the most out of your gym workout.

Don't you think it strange that the same amount would apply to someone who weighs 100lbs or 300lbs?
    Who might be living a sedentary lifestyle in a temperate climate or living an active lifestyle in a hot or humid climate?
    Who might be exercising a lot or not at all?
    Who might sweat or lot or a little?
  • OHammykins
    OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
    I tend to sip water through out the day as I feel thirsty. This can add up to about 3ltrs a day. I mix some cordial into it sometimes so i don't get fed up with the flavour.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    There is a urine color chart somewhere that is a better indicator of if you are drinking enough to stay hydrated.

im sure someone has it, its not one i have on hand.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I go by the colour of my urine (a really pale yellow/straw colour) as my water needs vary from day to day depending on what I am doing and how hot it is. Basically, if you are thirsty have a drink.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I'm the worst at drinking water. Maybe 3-4 8oz glasses a day--mostly in the form of 12oz cans of fizzy water. I probably should do better, but I don't fret about it too much.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Drinking water is a difficult thing for me to get under control. I have drank so little that I never really know I am thirsty. I 'm working on this/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I drink what I need for proper hydration - which can vary from day to day depending on what I'm doing.