What should I pay for a personal gym trainer?

Does anyone here in southern Ca area pay for a weight trainer thru a gym? I have to renegotiate my contract & I think I pay too much already- wondering what others are paying??!!!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm not in Cali, but I pay $50 per visit which seems fairly standard here in Abq.

ETA: my trainer is also the gym owner...I don't belong to a big commercial gym.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2018
    $60 per session for my powerlifting coach. Idaho.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I have been paying for a trainer for 2014. The gym-owned trainers are a motley crew. Some are inexperienced, train you like you 20-year-old, and have "No excuses" policy.

I paid like $20 like 3 times a week.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    It's $70 an hour at my gym in NY
  • Knoxvilla5
    Knoxvilla5 Posts: 74 Member
    See if you can get the gym membership for free if you get a certain number of personal training sessions. There are a lot of possibilities, and you should also keep in mind what your goals are. (i.e. a PT shouldn't be used to just have someone to tell you to get on the treadmill and watch you for 20 minutes--use them for technique instruction and overall strategies).
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    The starting price for 1 hour of personal training at my gym in Missouri is $60.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2018
    The cost per session means nothing without the length! It can range widely from $50-100 per hour. Depends on the gym, trainer experience, type of session, and local area. I imagine SoCal will be more expensive than rural Midwest. Many trainers offer partnered sessions and might even arrange the partner. This will cost more per session but less per person. You font have to be at the same performance level or even have the same goals. I've partnered with several different people over the years,

It's also cheaper to buy a package if 10-12 sessions, but you'll want to comfortable with trainer before committing.

What are you paying now and why do you think it's too much?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    DeniseLord wrote: »
    I have to renegotiate my contract & I think I pay too much already

Good trainers tend to have set prices (like most professionals). I suspect your trainer isn't providing enough value, in which case you may need to find another trainer. :+1:
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I pay 120/ hr with my trainer. Chicago based.

I trained in California before and paid 70/ hour but she trained my entire family through out the week, so I think she gave us a discount since we were writing her checks for at least a thousand a month.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Once you've used your personal trainer contract as a motivational tool getting you to work out regularly; once your personal trainer has given/provided you with a basic workout plan; once you have been working out on a regular basis and see how your training plan changes as you improve; and once you see how you can use the internet and other sources to adapt your plan to your current situation; why do you need to continue with a personal trainer at all?
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Why?

I think dependence on personal trainers is silly.

This is not rocket science.

Neither is preparing taxes, getting financial advice, fixing your car, mowing your lawn, painting, wiring, plumbing, etc yet millions pay others to do those things.

Exactly. I find value in getting both planning and expertise to help me get the specific results I'm after. My trainer takes my input around goals (for me, its improving performance in endurance sports) and she tailors my workouts to help me build strength, flexibility and mobility to enhance my performance and help me avoid injury. She also spots potential problems and makes recommendations to address those problems. I just show up, do the work, absorb her "coaching tips" and leave. Great value.

I could certainly do this on my own, but I choose not to. I put my mental energy into other things.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    $40/session for powerlifting coach, MN
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Why?

not everyone can or wants to do it alone. There are all kinds of reasons for trainers. Its not silly at all. I've trained under the direction of various sports trainers my entire life. Even now, i have a trainer. And to answer the OP question, i pay 100 a month for my powerlifting programming and coaching 4 times a week.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Why?

Neither is preparing taxes, getting financial advice, fixing your car, mowing your lawn, painting, wiring, plumbing, etc yet millions pay others to do those things.

Exactly. I find value in getting both planning and expertise to help me get the specific results I'm after. My trainer takes my input around goals (for me, its improving performance in endurance sports) and she tailors my workouts to help me build strength, flexibility and mobility to enhance my performance and help me avoid injury. She also spots potential problems and makes recommendations to address those problems. I just show up, do the work, absorb her "coaching tips" and leave. Great value.

I could certainly do this on my own, but I choose not to. I put my mental energy into other things.
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    Why?

not everyone can or wants to do it alone. There are all kinds of reasons for trainers. Its not silly at all. I've trained under the direction of various sports trainers my entire life. Even now, i have a trainer. And to answer the OP question, i pay 100 a month for my powerlifting programming and coaching 4 times a week.

Then the answer to the O.P.s question is: Whatever the training is worth to you and what someone else may pay is really not relevant.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Why?

My trainer has forgotten more than I'll ever know. I had good results running established programs...I get even better results working with my trainer.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Why?

Exactly. I work with a running coach who writes custom plans for me. Money well spent. My best friend does as well (much more in depth than me to the tune of $160/month for a weekly plan).
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    More than I can afford ... $60 - $80 a session in D.C. :(