Anyone else unable to exercise?

Just looking for friends who are on a big weight loss journey but can’t exercise for whatever reason. I’m not lazy btw! I have some chronic health disabilities and they limit my movement particularly through my pelvis. Won’t bore you right now explaining but I basically need to lose a lot of weight to be able to have major surgery on my back and pelvis. Anyway I was wondering how you guys are successfully losing weight with limited mobility? Any hints and tips as I am hitting a wall right now with it all. Thanks

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    It's about what you eat.

What does your dr say?
  • lindakerby04
    lindakerby04 Posts: 4 Member
    Was just reading and came across this. Just wanted to say keep up the steady great job. I was pretty impressed with your sticking to it!!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    For two years I was lying on the floor trying to get a bulging disc in my back to get into place without surgery. The only "exercise" I was able to tolerate was traction! Anyway, you can lose weight by counting your calories here on MFP. It worked for me and I reached my weight loss goal.
  • raztehwaz
    raztehwaz Posts: 1 Member
    I can't either, I've got a spinal injury and lots of joint pain that is still not under control. Exercise leaves me unable to get out of bed for several days, even a trip round the supermarket (in a wheelchair) exhausts me to the point I have to sleep afterwards.

Trying to lose 135 pounds and I started in late October. So far I've lost 21 pounds but I've been stalled for since January and feeling very disheartened. Not quite sure what I'm supposed to do next as I'm eating just over half my TDEE per day (1200 of 2300) and nothing is happening. I can't really cut down more as I'm already only eating one meal a day, but I can't exercise either. I do have thyroid issues though, not sure how much that is effecting things.
  • SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    Exercise is nice, but not necessary. I've lost 120 pounds since last April and (particular while losing the first 100) exercised very little in that time, other than whatever walking I do during the day.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    I have some limits on my ability to exercise - but I everything I can to the ability that I can BUT my diet is mostly what determines my weight bc I really do not exercise as often or as deep as it would need to be to burn excess cals. BUT the movement regardless of how restricted builds muscle AND helps keep the body as healthy as it can be.
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    I've been recently diagnosed with spinal stenosis and it's brutal at times. I'm still able to exercise some but not near as much as before. Therefore, I've had to be much stricter with my diet. Following The Wild Diet, sort of a modified paleo diet and it works for me.
  • NightOwl7777
    NightOwl7777 Posts: 26 Member
    I've been recently diagnosed with spinal stenosis and it's brutal at times. I'm still able to exercise some but not near as much as before. Therefore, I've had to be much stricter with my diet. Following The Wild Diet, sort of a modified paleo diet and it works for me.

Thank you. I’ve not heard of that before so I will read up on that diet. I’m in so much pain tonight it’s 4am and I haven’t closed my eyes. Taken all my meds so it’s a case of wait until it passes. Sorry to hear you have pain issues too.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    A good thing is that weight loss is influenced mostly by your diet, mostly. Good luck and I hope you receive a lot of support from this site.