Do you plan on counting calories your whole life in order to maintain?

Replies

• DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    I probably won't count calories my WHOLE life, but I justed started doing it like.. almost 2 months ago I think. If I don't, I actually undereat becaue I'm afraid of overeating. My doctor recommended me get some kind of calorie counter to keep everything in check, so I am.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Counting is kinda fun. So maybe not my whole life. I certainly skip some days and try intuitive eating. It’s good to just sit down sometimes and munch on an apple without slicing and weighing it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    chase7612 wrote: »
    Is there anything really wrong with getting to where you want to be, then stop logging, trying to eyeball stuff for about the right calories, and if u happen to go up 10 lbs above the weight u wanna be, just spend the next month counting and losing it again? That's kinda what i plan to do...

There is nothing wrong with that if it feels like something you would maintain better than calorie counting. Personally, I would rather avoid regaining if that's an option outside of natural fluctuations because knowing me, that would probably lead to a slow creep up. Losing 10 lbs means about 3 months of dieting at this point, and when I'm at maintenance it would mean half a year of dieting just to re-lose. The idea of accepting a slightly higher weight would sound more appealing to me than having to lower my calories again since I don't mind being heavy. So for me personally this wouldn't work, but it might for you.
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Is there anything really wrong with getting to where you want to be, then stop logging, trying to eyeball stuff for about the right calories, and if u happen to go up 10 lbs above the weight u wanna be, just spend the next month counting and losing it again? That's kinda what i plan to do...

Couple of potential problems that I can anticipate:

1) If you don't keep track of your cals/wt daily, it's easy to let them get away from you and, if you're not paying attn, you could easily gain more than 10# in very little time.

2) It can be more demanding and stressful mentally, emotionally and physically to yo-yo diet than to just maintain your cal intake/weight at a set point.

These potential problems presume that you will gain the weight back w/o logging BUT a lot of people claim that they have been able
    to maintain by just eyeballing it.

You won't know if you're one of those lucky people or not until you try it. If you're successful, congratulations!

However, there are many others who have tried this and failed and who know, based on their experience, that daily logging for life is the only way that they can insure that they won't ever get fat again.

I am one of those people.

It's just too easy for me to go over on cals and to make excuses for not exercising. These 2 tendencies always make me prone to gain weight.

I worked too hard to lose weight and to get my body looking the way it is now and it's not too much trouble to me to just log my food and weigh myself daily to maintain it.

What would be worse to me would be to fail to keep my weight in check and then have to go through the whole process of trying to lose weight (potentially over and over) again. That would just be too discouraging and stressful for me.

Once and done is much better IMO.

Ditto to this
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited March 2018
    want to grow strong and older. not old. don't ever want to be just decrepit or frail. so...I will use all of my tools as long as they keep me healthy, aging well. 58 years old now.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member

This is exactly the approach I took in the past and I failed to keep the weight down. This time I made my goal be the max, so even though I am below it, I am still losing a few more slowly. What happened to me is that I would get slack about checking the scale often enough and I would find I was already past the limit or maybe really near it and had a vacation or the holidays or whatever coming up and I would decide that right after that I will diet again and then put it off and the next think you know I was so far above that I would start justifying a new higher weight.
  • chase7612
    chase7612 Posts: 24 Member

There is nothing wrong with that if it feels like something you would maintain better than calorie counting. Personally, I would rather avoid regaining if that's an option outside of natural fluctuations because knowing me, that would probably lead to a slow creep up. Losing 10 lbs means about 3 months of dieting at this point, and when I'm at maintenance it would mean half a year of dieting just to re-lose. The idea of accepting a slightly higher weight would sound more appealing to me than having to lower my calories again since I don't mind being heavy. So for me personally this wouldn't work, but it might for you.

Are you down to a very low body fat? Does it really take that long to get down that much? I'm at like 18% right now still pretty easily losing 2lbs a week. If that is the case i could definitely see not wanting to slack... We all want those abs! ;)

sgt1372 wrote: »

Couple of potential problems that I can anticipate:

1) If you don't keep track of your cals/wt daily, it's easy to let them get away from you and, if you're not paying attn, you could easily gain more than 10# in very little time.

2) It can be more demanding and stressful mentally, emotionally and physically to yo-yo diet than to just maintain your cal intake/weight at a set point.

These potential problems presume that you will gain the weight back w/o logging BUT a lot of people claim that they have been able
    to maintain by just eyeballing it.

You won't know if you're one of those lucky people or not until you try it. If you're successful, congratulations!

However, there are many others who have tried this and failed and who know, based on their experience, that daily logging for life is the only way that they can insure that they won't ever get fat again.

I am one of those people.

It's just too easy for me to go over on cals and to make excuses for not exercising. These 2 tendencies always make me prone to gain weight.

I worked too hard to lose weight and to get my body looking the way it is now and it's not too much trouble to me to just log my food and weigh myself daily to maintain it.

What would be worse to me would be to fail to keep my weight in check and then have to go through the whole process of trying to lose weight (potentially over and over) again. That would just be too discouraging and stressful for me.

Once and done is much better IMO.

Good thoughts...
    1) I weight myself twice a day it's extremely easy (wifi scale) so ill probably do that the rest of my life so i don't think it'd get away from me that bad.
    2) The point of doing this would be to be less stress mentally XD, however i could see how it may be more if i am unable to relax about it a little. Which may very well be the case cause i am pretty anal about it right now, my graph is literally a straight line of 2lbs lost a week for 3/4 of a year now. So relaxing could very well be a problem! =\

This is exactly the approach I took in the past and I failed to keep the weight down. This time I made my goal be the max, so even though I am below it, I am still losing a few more slowly. What happened to me is that I would get slack about checking the scale often enough and I would find I was already past the limit or maybe really near it and had a vacation or the holidays or whatever coming up and I would decide that right after that I will diet again and then put it off and the next think you know I was so far above that I would start justifying a new higher weight.

I haven't decided yet how the best way to go about it is, perhaps i will set a max and diet if i ever reach that, however idk how hard it is to maintain a low body fat yet so there may not be much wiggle room to slack.

Vacations and holidays are the worst! XD It's hard not to dread them...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Are you down to a very low body fat? Does it really take that long to get down that much? I'm at like 18% right now still pretty easily losing 2lbs a week. If that is the case i could definitely see not wanting to slack... We all want those abs! ;)

I'm at a high body fat, but I'm a woman and I like food. With a sedentary maintenance of 1900 calories, I would need to net 900 calories to lose 2lb which isn't gonna happen. At my goal weight, I will be looking at a sedentary maintenance of about 1500-1600 which means no more than 1/2 pound a week.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member

I have done just this since I've been in maintenance and it has worked for me. 3+ (now going on 4 years) and so far so good. Never have I gone up 10lbs either.
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    I am pretty sure i will have to log or count calories. The minute i dont is when i loose focus and slowly weight always comes back on. As , I still have a long way to go.
  • sadie_baby79
    sadie_baby79 Posts: 18 Member
    Yep. I think I’ll have to track with this app or something similar forever. Or at least, occasionally tracking to make sure I don’t get off track...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited March 2018
    I think I probably will. I have been "pretty much" in maintenance for almost 3 years now, by that I mean within a 10 lb range (sounds like a big range but after losing ~130 lb I don't think it's too bad). Anyway, I feel like I still don't have great hunger & satiety cues. I could undereat or overeat without realizing it a lot of the time...and of course, overeating would be more common when eating with others and in restaurants. So for me I feel like calorie counting is going to be a long term thing, whether using a site like this or some other method.

I have a handful of tried and true meals that are go-to's (especially for weekdays) and when I'm combining 2-3 of those in most days I do feel like I could stop counting calories and do just fine. They tend to fall right into the calorie goals I have, like 1400 calories split 200/500/700. But for me it's not realistic to eat at home every day and make the same meals every week.

When I go on vacation (a few weeks of each year) I make an effort to eat sensibly but do not count calories. I do think I have gotten lazier with tracking, and sometimes skip a day or two, but for me that's because I kind of "know" I'll stay within my usual range unless I just go nuts with junk (and gain or retain water because of sodium, and feel blah) or skip a lot of meals (and lose too rapidly, and feel shaky and weird).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited March 2018

It took me 22 months to drop from 20+% down to 8.3% BF (as measured by hydro).

Most of my weight loss occurred in the 1st 6 months (196 down to 160). Have been in maintenance for the following 16 months. My weight was fairly constant at 158 +/-3# during the 1st 14 months of the maintenance period but dropped a couple extra pounds in the past 2 months down to 156 which further reduced my BF to 8.3%. The slight increase in my LBM during maintenance also contributed to the decline in BF%.

As a result, I have developed visible abs and a level of muscular definition that I seldom see in others in the gym.

My initial rate of weight loss was quite rapid; as much as 4# a week. I did not plan it that way. It just happened that way and it was not a problem for me. After the initial weight loss, my weight plateaued where I wanted it to plateau due to my ability to balance my calorie intake in conjunction w/my weight lifting and exercise activities.

FYI: Attached below is a copy of my Libra weightloss graph.

All of this should explain why I plan to continue to log and weigh myself daily for the rest of my life.

BTW: Bruce Lee is pictured in my avatar but one of the reasons I chose this pic for my avatar was because I look a lot like he does in the pic. I did post a pic of me a while ago on page 3 of my "Ready to Recomp" thread that you can find here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10462715/ready-to-recomp/p3