Fellow swimmers

I swam competitively 20+ years ago, but had to quit because I developed a serious sensitivity to chlorine (full body rashes are no fun). I've always loved the water, but had to limit my time in most pools to avoid having an allergic reaction. The pool at the gym near my house recently renovated and switched from a chlorine system to a UV and salt water system (yay!), so I'm swimming again.

I'm slowly rebuilding my endurance, and tracking my swims using my Apple watch. (1,200 yards, 35:30 was my most recent swim.)

My question for other swimmers is: Are there any training resources you have used, programs, drills, and such that have helped you be stronger/faster swimmers?

I swim 2-3x a week, and also cycle and do strength training.

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Some great resources on SwimSmooth website inc some sessions based on CSS (critical swim speed) ... it’s all explained on there.
    Also tonnes of online training plans if you just search for them in any search engine. And one website that a guy posts every day a swim set you can do.

Glad to hear your allergy issues are hopefully solved... I suffer terrible rhinitis allergic reaction from the pool & now have to use a nose clip.... grrr
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    So glad you have been able to start up again.

I love swimming. I don't train for anything in particular but I found that just swimming for longer distances increased my speed a bit. Then I started adding some 100m sprints to my sets and maybe some kick drills. Just for fun!
  • daltontf
    daltontf Posts: 63 Member
    Effortless Swimming channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKoeXneqNktkY1ijItuKFBQ
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    I swim a lot. It's basically 75% of my weekly cardio. I don't use any program and I'm not very fast.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    one of my training swims it breaks up just doing laps. You can put whatever distance you like.

100 Free easy pace, 50 kick easy, 100 free moderate, 50 kick, 100 faster, 50 kick
    (MS main set)
    400 free constant pace Rest: 1 min
    4 x 100 each 100 faster Rest: 1 min
    3 x 100
    2 x 100
    (CD cool down)
    200 easy

I write workouts on index cards and keep in ziplock bag

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    There is an active group called Swimmers!. Come join us.
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    I have just started doing interval training in the pool at my gym, it's 20 yards long and I just do 1 length sprinting, 1 length comfortably swimming back and repeat for like 20 mins. Works pretty well so far.

There are a bunch of ways to improve your performance and mixing it up keeps things interesting.
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    Congrats on the new pool! I never swam competitively,. I swim all four strokes to keep the swim interesting. I don't count laps--I start with a 12 minute warm up swimming freestyle, then do drills for fly, backstroke and/or breaststroke. I don't focus on speed, but rather on form, hoping that speed will follow when technique improves. Being mindful of leg, arm, head and torso position as well as timing have been real winners for me. My fly has progressed from "I think I'm gonna drown" to "happy to do another 25" and backstroke is on the front burner for tips and drills. I'm very comfortable with breaststroke, but still hope to improve.

In 1981, I tried to match strokes with an overweight, abusive boss--I was pretty trim, but he made off like a shark and I didn't swim much for years. In 2002, I began with the Total Immersion books (RIP Terry Laughlin) and VHS tapes. I've had tips from a former HS swim coach for the past 6-8 years--really helpful. I watch mucho youTube--preferred channels: Skills NT, Effortless Swimming, Goswim, the Speedo clips, Chloe Sutton, etc. If you can find a coach, that might help.
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    Forgot to mention theraceclub channel
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    For me the thing that helped the most was finding an adult swim club. In my case a US Masters team, even if I cannot swim with the team I still have access to the workouts and resources the team provides. I can also talk with my teammates and we can compare notes and share experiences to improve our fitness levels.
  • carrieonline
    carrieonline Posts: 8 Member
    I swim 4 x per week, 90 minutes per session as part of a coached group. Having a coach means I just have to show up and I get pushed to my limit - I get bored and don’t push myself if I had to swim alone and think up the workout myself. We do lots of interval training, drill work, kick, and longer stready state sessions. One good method is the pyramid, for example 4 x 100 or 4 x 200 where you start off at a moderate to relaxed pace and then increase your speed for each 100 until the final one is max effort. Recover for 1-200 then do it again. There are online swim coaches out there who could provide you with a program if the group thing doesn’t work for you.
  • rach3116
    rach3116 Posts: 34 Member
    Omg a salt water pool at the gym?! What a dream!!!
    Whenever I swim I always do laps of certain strokes, then leg exercises (hip and butt strengthening, lots of reps), then more laps, then treading water, etc.
    I also have the float device that goes on between your legs to use arms only then switch to do legs only.
    And yes, sprinting helps break up the laps too.
  • khalil600
    khalil600 Posts: 2 Member
    ceolyn wrote: »
    I swam competitively 20+ years ago, but had to quit because I developed a serious sensitivity to chlorine (full body rashes are no fun). I've always loved the water, but had to limit my time in most pools to avoid having an allergic reaction. The pool at the gym near my house recently renovated and switched from a chlorine system to a UV and salt water system (yay!), so I'm swimming again.

I'm slowly rebuilding my endurance, and tracking my swims using my Apple watch. (1,200 yards, 35:30 was my most recent swim.)

My question for other swimmers is: Are there any training resources you have used, programs, drills, and such that have helped you be stronger/faster swimmers?

I swim 2-3x a week, and also cycle and do strength training.

Hi, i recommend Total Immersion, yuu will find many videos on YouTube. Also read articles from Terry the founder of Total Immersion. Personally it helps me to develop my technique, basically its effortless approach. Good luck, if you need assistance let me know.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    I have only just started swimming myself again after quite a few years out of the pool so I find I'm pretty unfit. I used to coach the younger kids at my swimming club when I was a teen so I tend to just make it up as I go along myself. At the moment it's just purely what I can do in an hour though without killing myself lol!

I wish I'd kept up with it though it was amazing going back feeling so chilled after each time I go. Now to invest in some good goggles.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I recently started going to Master's Swim. There are just a few people who come and we all swim for personal fitness, not competition. The coach is a young 19 year old kid but he is very good. He helps each of us with our own goals whether it be strokes, distances, speed, etc. My strokes have improved more in the last 3 weeks than in any class I've ever taken. I figure if my strokes get better, it will be easier to improve my speed and distance. I have no problem cranking out 30 laps on my own, I just need better efficiency. Unfortunately, we learned yesterday that he might be moving out of the area. Hopefully the Y will find someone else to continue it at a time I can attend.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    I second Swim Smooth resources. In the UK that is the model we follow for coaching swimming for triathlon. Some of it wont be relevant if you dont want to swim open water, etc, but there are still some useful bits Im sure.

And also finding a group or club who swim from your pool. Im pretty good at pushing myself hard in my own sessions, but swimming with other people a similar speed, when you dont always know what is coming next, takes it up a level. I would say, though, that a not particularly good coached session is probably worse than an uncoached one. Ive gone to some sessions where a whole lane(s) are adapting what the coach has said to suit them a bit, or just almost ignoring it, and that doesnt suit me.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Join a local masters club.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I second Swim Smooth resources. In the UK that is the model we follow for coaching swimming for triathlon. Some of it wont be relevant if you dont want to swim open water, etc, but there are still some useful bits Im sure.

And also finding a group or club who swim from your pool. Im pretty good at pushing myself hard in my own sessions, but swimming with other people a similar speed, when you dont always know what is coming next, takes it up a level. I would say, though, that a not particularly good coached session is probably worse than an uncoached one. Ive gone to some sessions where a whole lane(s) are adapting what the coach has said to suit them a bit, or just almost ignoring it, and that doesnt suit me.

I guess it would depend on why people are adapting. If capable athletes are just being lazy, that's one thing. But don't the let that stop YOU from getting a good workout! In most fitness classes people are encouraged to adapt based on their abilities or limitations. I have to make adaptations in most classes or group sessions and would encourage others to do the same. You are fortunate you can always do everything that is asked.