• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    szkodzt wrote: »
    Nut pods - only 10 cal per Tablespoon

This made the 12 year old in me giggle :laugh:
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited March 2018
    I could have written this myself. I love the creamers. I wasn't measuring it before and was eyeballing it and was probably adding one quarter to a half a cup to my coffee. I still like it with cream but now I have cut back to 1 or 2 cups a day at most with 3 tablespoons of creamer. It isn't as sweet as I used to like but I am getting used to it and don't mind it as much anymore. It is 105 calories for the creamer. I don't use sugar free or fat free. I can compromise on a lot of things but not on my coffee.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    I didn't read all the responses so this has probably already been said, but I was just like you. I loved a little coffee flavor in my sugar cream. I could almost drink it straight. I slowly backed off how much I used then switched to a tasty flavored coffee and used plain whole milk. Eventually I went to really good dark roast coffee with just a splash of milk.

It took time to make the transition but now I can't hardly stand sweetness in my coffee.

I also realized that as much as anything I was covering up the bitter unpleasant taste of bad coffee. I started batch making cold brew good quality coffee. In the morning I put about 2 ounces in my mug and pour hot water over it and add the milk. It's so much tastier than anything I used to drink. I cannot abide by dip coffee now. It's either cold brew or espresso for me.

That may not be the case with you, but it's something to consider.

I certainly would not give up my joe!
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    As someone said above, this must be a US thing, because I don't think we have flavoured coffee creamer in the UK (although I have been offered regular cream before). I'm curious to know how you actually taste the coffee with the flavoured creamer in it?

I buy decent roasted beans and have it with just a little bit of semi skimmed milk. Because I don't drink much of it in a day, I want to really taste the coffee.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    pamfin wrote: »
    As someone said above, this must be a US thing, because I don't think we have flavoured coffee creamer in the UK (although I have been offered regular cream before). I'm curious to know how you actually taste the coffee with the flavoured creamer in it?

I buy decent roasted beans and have it with just a little bit of semi skimmed milk. Because I don't drink much of it in a day, I want to really taste the coffee.

No, it tastes like creamer, lol. I never heard of that until recently honestly. Always just used sugar in France, sometimes milk, and I typically just used half and half and sugar after (now it's black, with milk when I want it less hot). At least half and half has some fat in it... while creamer is mostly sugar.

Anyway, OP, just start putting less creamer.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Creamer is kind of a catch all term now in the US for any random thing you put in coffee to lighten it. It can be powder or liquid, dairy or non-dairy, flavored or not. My parents ask for creamer in restaurants to get those little disposable cups of half & half. The dairy aisle has a whole section of refrigerated bottles of flavored "creamers" which are all basically flavored milk or cream.

And of course you can taste the coffee, assuming you don't add several servings to each cup. When I add chocolate to PB I can still taste both. When I add strawberries to my lemonade I can still taste both. When I add a little vanilla creamer to my coffee I taste coffee and vanilla.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    I totally feel you on the creamer. I like a lot of cream in my coffee. I put let’s say 1-2 ounces of milk - maybe 2% since milk fat is an essential flavor in coffee for me. I do not like skim. This covers the bulk of the creamy need for about 30 calories. And then I add about 1 tablespoon of the flavored creamer (or half and half, I do not always sweeten my coffee). So that makes it more like 50-60 calories.

I like to use a it more milk to get the appropriate creaminess and it gets you more calcium too. But I also top it off with the creamer.
  • TerranandKaylynsmommy
    TerranandKaylynsmommy Posts: 321 Member
    I have 1 cup of coffee in the morning. 3 tablespoons of creamer. 75 calories that I work into my calorie allowance.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Creamer is kind of a catch all term now in the US for any random thing you put in coffee to lighten it. It can be powder or liquid, dairy or non-dairy, flavored or not. My parents ask for creamer in restaurants to get those little disposable cups of half & half. The dairy aisle has a whole section of refrigerated bottles of flavored "creamers" which are all basically flavored milk or cream.

And of course you can taste the coffee, assuming you don't add several servings to each cup. When I add chocolate to PB I can still taste both. When I add strawberries to my lemonade I can still taste both. When I add a little vanilla creamer to my coffee I taste coffee and vanilla.

And what's "half and half"? We don't have that here either.

I notice Americans (not all) seem to like a few calories with their calories. Sir, one tiny wafer-thin calorie?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

I notice Americans (not all) seem to like a few calories with their calories. Sir, one tiny wafer-thin calorie?

It's half milk half cream.

And honestly, most of these creamers aren't high cal unless you use several servings several times a day. But I get your point :lol:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

As kimny said, half milk, half cream. If it helps, it's about 10% fat by weight, compared to 20% fat by weight for what's called light cream or table cream or coffee cream in the States. Or about 20 kcal per tablespoon for half and half, compared to about 30 kcal per tablespoon for table cream. It's not flavored or sweetened -- just a regular dairy product of a particular fat percentage.
  • wyfelmom
    wyfelmom Posts: 2 Member
    Another premier protein user here. I make a huge iced coffee every morning with two cups of coffee, a premier protein and some ice. Sip it all morning and it works as my breakfast and keeps me full until lunch.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    I use 2 ounces of Fairlife whole milk in my coffee. Makes it plenty creamy enough and less than 40 calories.[/quote]

Me too! I use 1/8 cup for 20 calories. Fairlife is somehow processed for higher protein content, and I find it's actually creamier than regular whole milk.
  • rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    I love my coffee with creamer. I will easily consume 300 calories of creamer in my daily cups of coffee. I include it in my daily allowed calories, but it is my breakfast. Rarely, will I eat an actual breakfast. I can't stand the taste of most sugar substitutes, so the sugar-free ones don't work for me.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    I like the International Delight creamers too. I measure out 1Tbsp of creamer and 1Tbsp of skim milk. Still get the flavor of the creamer, but not all the calories of 2 Tbsp.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Use premier protein ready to drink protein shake as creamer. No guilt and you'll add some protein to your coffee

• holytricoli
    holytricoli Posts: 36 Member
    I stir a serving of chocolate whey protein into my coffee. I have been doing this the last couple of weeks, and I feel like it really makes a difference. For one, no more coffee creamer. Plus, it's 24g of protein which curbs my appetite against snacking here and there later in the day.

***Note: You have to be careful about how you add it or you will get a disgusting, lumpy mess. Pour the coffee into the mug first, and then slowly pour the protein powder in while stirring constantly.

It tastes like a "poor man's mocha," similar to pouring in a hot cocoa packet but without all the sugar. I hope this is helpful for you! I haven't touched the coffee creamer in my fridge since switching over.