First 5k

brkln93
brkln93 Posts: 25 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I’ve never really been into running but I’ve done more this year on the treadmill than I probably have my whole life. I want to start to do more and do a 5k this year. I know it doesn’t seem like much to some but I’ve never done one. Any helpful tips or advice?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Do c25k
  • brkln93
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    okay, I've run a couple of full marathons, a handful of half marathons and a bunch of 5 & 10K races.

the one thing that's consistent for all of them is:

Do your training / put in the miles in the weeks that lie ahead of the event.
    Don't try anything new for the race. If it worked well in training, it should be good for the race ( i.e. don't try out a new brand of socks, don't carry anything that you didn't carry in training)

and...

Don't go out too fast. Maintain your pace, not the pace of the crowd; run your own race.

and finally....

enjoy it! (it's supposed to be fun, right?)

best of luck

Thank you! I appreciate your advise! :) I know I for sure need to train more before I commit to one, but it’s my goal and I’m excited for it. :blush:
  • bread_winner
    bread_winner Posts: 16 Member
    I'd also suggest logging some miles outside if you've only done the dreadmill up to now. It can feel quite different. You've totally got this! Have fun with it :D
  • brkln93
    I'd also suggest logging some miles outside if you've only done the dreadmill up to now. It can feel quite different. You've totally got this! Have fun with it :D
    I plan to, I’m just waiting for it to warm up a little more!
  • brkln93
    [/quote]

Warm weather is for joggers. You're a runner now. ;) You'd be surprised how warm you get even on a very cold day when you run.

Find a good plan like Couch to 5K and stick with it. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks and don't jump ahead just because you feel like you can.

Good luck with the training and the race. Just be warned - it is additive. :D [/quote]
    I’ll look into it! Thank you! :)
  • LzzyBrdn
    LzzyBrdn Posts: 46 Member
    I signed up for a few as well as a tough mudder sort of event in my town.

I may not finish first but I'll finish regardless! Even if I have to walk half of it.

The other one, the Viking race, is going to kill me but I wanted to try it now, so next year when I've lost 100lbs I can feel and see the differences in my performance.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    C25K and get proper running shoes from a store that does a gait analysis.

And whoever said it's addictive is not lying. I started C25K Jan 2017 and am now working on a 1/2 in June.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    brkln93 wrote: »

Warm weather is for joggers. You're a runner now. ;) You'd be surprised how warm you get even on a very cold day when you run.

Find a good plan like Couch to 5K and stick with it. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks and don't jump ahead just because you feel like you can.

Good luck with the training and the race. Just be warned - it is additive. :D

There is no bad weather, just bad gear.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    I do a lot of running on the treadmill in the winter and it's definitely not the same as running outside. I've done 7 half marathon's and run 10-15 k on every run I do outside. What helps if you can't get outside is try increasing the incline on your treadmill with your runs. I normally have mine at about 2.0 but most people will just leave it at 0. I find at about 3-3.5 simulates running outside. Still not the same as running outside but it will help you when you start training outside. I'll even put it up to about 6.0 sometimes and challenge myself to see how long I can go without having to slow down. Good luck on your 5 k.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

I just don't like dark, ice and snow combined. So I used the treadmill over the winter a lot. I could do the 9 am runs on the weekend where I could see where I was putting my feet, even using trax, but wasn't going to try it in the dark so 5:30 at the gym on the treadmill.

Next week I'll move back outside at 5:30
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    As far as running in the cold, dress for 20 degrees warmer than it actually is. Your body generates a lot of heat while running and even though you'll feel cold for a few minutes, you'll warm up quickly.

Start with C25K, and go ahead and sign up for a 5k that coincides with the end of the program. That gives you a goal to work toward.

Go to a running store and get fitted for proper shoes. Don't just run in whatever sneakers you already have.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

I just don't like dark, ice and snow combined. So I used the treadmill over the winter a lot. I could do the 9 am runs on the weekend where I could see where I was putting my feet, even using trax, but wasn't going to try it in the dark so 5:30 at the gym on the treadmill.

Yes, Dark and ice is a no go. I'm not about getting hurt.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member

Yaktraks.

Or move somewhere they take care of the sidewalks better ;) . Year round in New England and I never have issues, but sometimes I do have to climb 40" tall snowbanks
  • jrbovee20
    jrbovee20 Posts: 76 Member
    I'm in the same boat, never done a 5k and I am thinking this is my year to start. Good luck!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    We may be a little crazy. :D

vqd4n0ihmy28.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I’ve never really been into running but I’ve done more this year on the treadmill than I probably have my whole life. I want to start to do more and do a 5k this year. I know it doesn’t seem like much to some but I’ve never done one. Any helpful tips or advice?

Nonsense. I know a lot of runners, and that is their favorite distance and that's where most people start and should start.

My wife is an avid runner and has done several 1/2 marathons...they take a whole lot of training time which is difficult when you work full time and have two young boys at home. She's done with 1/2s for awhile at least...she much prefers a good 5K or 10K which she can typically do with her regular running schedule in a given week rather than having to follow a much more stringent and longer training protocol.

I'm much the same with cycling...I've been doing a variety of 1/2 centuries for the past few years...training takes up a lot of time that I just don't have right now, so I'm doing 1/4 centuries for the foreseeable future as I can knock those out with my normal weekly fitness rides rather than actually "training."

The nice thing about these events, is that you get sucked in and having events on your calendar keeps you moving.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member

Here in northern New Jersey we've had the opportunity to rediscover running through the snow. Dress in layers and get outside. I use a light pair of gloves as my hands can get cold. Once you warm up, you pretty much stay warm. Find a 5K program to your liking and start it. No time lie the present.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Welcome to the world of running!
    I suggest C25K, good shoes, running slow enough to be comfortable and time.
    5K is a good goal. You can do this.