The issue with processed foods (opinion)

2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Aaron: This. Is. Brilliant. I'm missing the old 'awesome' button (I might just have to 'hug' you instead . . . it's OK, I'm prolly old enough to be your granny, or at least auntie ;) ).
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Aaron, if you ever decide to start some kind of logic commune, or a secret society, maybe even a cult, please send me an invite.

Yup.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I think trans fats were a big contributor to processed foods getting a bad name.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Aaron: This. Is. Brilliant. I'm missing the old 'awesome' button (I might just have to 'hug' you instead . . . it's OK, I'm prolly old enough to be your granny, or at least auntie ;) ).
    Aaron, if you ever decide to start some kind of logic commune, or a secret society, maybe even a cult, please send me an invite.

Yup.

Hah thanks, although I don't know....I'm older than I look.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I ended up learning to make my own sauces and stews when family members were sent home long forbidden lists from their doctors.

At various times I’ve had to avoid MSG, tomatoes and salt. Just try and buy a commercial dinner without one of these ingredients.

I would peruse the ingredients lists of the commercial products to see if I could match with my home made versions. Because of this scouting I add mustard to my cheese sauce and xanthan gum to my breads.

Along the way I learned to cook. Nice side benefit. Sometimes I can even do it cheaper.

I love how you point out how people often get it “backwards”. Like avoiding fruit because of “sugar” losing out on all the good things fruit does.

I think cheeses as a rule are improved by processing. I’m not talking processed cheese here but the raw art of turning milk in to cheese. I’ve made a soft cheese from scratch exactly once.

I think because of our improved food transportation system and ready availability of refrigeration people have forgotten the vital role that sugar, salt and vinegar have had in protecting our foods from spoilage.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Also good labels can be way off so it's much harder to track accurately with processed foods.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I eat a fair amount of processed food and my sugar and sodium are well under recommended levels. If you can read labels the information is easily available, and there are plenty of processed food choices that have reasonable levels.

I've never considered processed food from the perspective you're presenting, Aaron. Very thought provoking and will probably lead to some different choices on my part. Thanks for taking the time to post this!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Awesome post.

You're very open-minded, @kimny72 ;)

And a bump :)