Let's talk protein bars.

Do you like protein bars? Which one and why?

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    I just finished eating a power crunch bar. I like a little more protein for the calories but they just taste so darned good.

I also like the Quest Birthday Cake flavor (Quest Sour Cream and Cheddar protein chips are pretty darned good too and I like that they have less fiber). I'm also big on their Hero and Cereal bars.

• Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 431 Member
    Currently on a Luna kick
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    I personally don't like protein bars or at least the few I've tried like Quest, Kirkland and Clif builders. They all have an aftertaste that I can't, and don't want, to get used to.
  • Kathryn191
    Kathryn191 Posts: 14 Member
    One bars :) sooo good high in protein and only one gram of sugar. The almond flavour tastes like macaroons and the maple glazed donut tastes just like a real donut. Hope this helps
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    MFP has a search function for these forums. There have been hundreds of threads on this topic. Check it out.

I've tried using the search function before and without an advanced search option you are just swamped with noise and unable to find decent threads.
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    Currently on a Luna kick

Same here. The Chocolate Peppermint Stick, Protein Berry, and Cupcake are my favorites.

Also, Kirkland brand is good - especially the Chocolate Brownie.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    ap1972 wrote: »
    MFP has a search function for these forums. There have been hundreds of threads on this topic. Check it out.

I've tried using the search function before and without an advanced search option you are just swamped with noise and unable to find decent threads.

There is an advanced search option, click on the arrow next to Search box if you're on web version or scroll down on the app.
  • kellymccrea1
    kellymccrea1 Posts: 50 Member
    Quest birthday cake, quest hero (all 3 flavors), ONE maple glazed donut, and ONE birthday cake
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    ap1972 wrote: »

There is an advanced search option, click on the arrow next to Search box if you're on web version or scroll down on the app.

Ah thanks don't know how I missed that although it does look greyed out so perhaps that was why

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Chef Irvine's FitCrunch bars are freaking amazing! I eat one every afternoon to hit my protein goals and I feel like I'm eating a candy bar.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Clif builder (chocolate mint) are my favorite, but Quest (chocolate chunk and/or chocolate brownie) have the same protein for a bit fewer cals, so I typically go with those.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I haven't had any that I really like and would buy again.

To me so many taste chalky or artificial-like. I have better luck making my own and controlling the ingredients I use.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I think most of them taste acceptable, but I don't really eat them for the taste. They're an easy breakfast for someone like me who is emphatically not a breakfast person but feels better in the morning eating something.

Since I discovered that Kirkland protein bars from Costco (the ones that come in the package with half chocolate, half chocolate chip cookie dough flavour) have essentially identical macros to Quest and are about a third of the price where I live, I just buy those and have one most mornings for ~200 calories and ~20g protein.

I like some of the Quest flavours (apple pie, cinnamon roll, etc) but they're not 3x the price good, so I just put up with the cheaper chocolate ones. My husband is allergic to peanuts so that limits what I can bring in the house too, and I hate the coated bars, so...Kirkland.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    I have been enjoying the Fit Crunch ones from Robert Irvine. I only eat them about once per week, but like them.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Phd Smart bar ... closest thing to a proper chocolate bar yet
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    The Wal-Mart brand of Great Value has a couple of 10g protein bars. I like both of them. You might be convinced that sugar is the debbil so they are off limits to you.

Last night I bought, for the first time, an expensive package of ON 20g protein pucks. It would be honest to say that I don't like them and don't intend to buy them again. For 20 g protein I'd rather and more cheaply have 2 cans of tuna.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    The Wal-Mart brand of Great Value has a couple of 10g protein bars. I like both of them. You might be convinced that sugar is the debbil so they are off limits to you.

Last night I bought, for the first time, an expensive package of ON 20g protein pucks. It would be honest to say that I don't like them and don't intend to buy them again. For 20 g protein I'd rather and more cheaply have 2 cans of tuna.

If you mean those cake bite things from ON... yea, they aren't good.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    I had to stop eating them because the ones I was getting (quest, kirkland) were upsetting my stomach. Like, in the way you read about online.

I recently tried the snickers protein bar and it was so good. No adverse effects as of yet! They're certainly not a low calorie/low carb option... but pretty balanced between carbs/proteins, so better than a candy bar (for someone who's tracking macros), and just as tasty.