Franks Red Hot <3

Buffm4n
Buffm4n Posts: 21 Member
I LOVE Franks Red Hot Sauce, but my sodium levels are through the roof! Do you guys know of any other good condiments that I could replace it with? Thank you!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    The best sauces have lots of sodium. You can get spices consisting of crushed red pepper seeds or, perhaps, scotch bonnet, or even Carolina reaper, which give you the capsaicin without the sodium.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    How much are you using?
  • latentspring
    latentspring Posts: 27 Member
    you guys get me. I would literally remove salt from my diet in every other facet if it meant keeping red hot. I could drink it. I put it on EVERYTHING. the meal I just ate was buffalo cauliflower and scrambled eggs and pork chops and I will let you GUESS what was part of every aspect.

good luck to ya, op.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    I would try adding plain ground cayenne (and a touch of garlic powder) to food as you're cooking to get near the heat level you're looking for. Then just use a splash or two of Franks.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Buffm4n wrote: »
    I LOVE Franks Red Hot Sauce, but my sodium levels are through the roof! Do you guys know of any other good condiments that I could replace it with? Thank you!

You must be eating other salty foods besides Red Hot, right?
  • Buffm4n
    Buffm4n Posts: 21 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »

Franks Red Hot makes up roughly 80% of my sodium intake, I don't eat much sodium outside of it.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    You're all my people. I also get 80% of my sodium from hot sauce, but I'm more of a sriracha person.

I just try to be cognizant of not adding salt to stuff if I'm going to also douse it in hot sauce, drink plenty of water, and don't worry about it much beyond that. However, I should probably add that my blood pressure is on the low side and my doctor has encouraged a higher salt intake to help with the little bit of orthostatic hypotension I tend to experience.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    FYI, real people know that sriracha isn't hot.

"Real people", as opposed to...?

Thanks but no thanks on the hot sauce snobbery. It's chili based? It's hot sauce. I don't judge.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Franks Red Hot makes up roughly 80% of my sodium intake, I don't eat much sodium outside of it.

The bottle of Frank's I'm holding right now has 8% of your daily sodium in a teaspoon. Are you using more than 10 teaspoons per day? Going through more than a bottle a week?

I would say try using a little less. You could also experiment with dry seasonings like different peppers to get the heat without any other ingredients. Any kind of hot sauce is going to have some sodium in it, I would think. Frank's isn't really high in sodium, if you are getting problematic levels of sodium from it, it's because you're using an extreme amount.
  • lolothedragon
    lolothedragon Posts: 39 Member
    I feel ya...I like to dunk my food in it. If you want to reduce your sodium intake I would follow the advice above to use seasonings instead for the heat and then a splash of frank's. That way you still get what you love and don't sacrifice the flavor.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    There is nothing that replaces perfection. There are two things we never run out of in my house and its Franks and Mustard.

#preach
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

The bottle of Frank's I'm holding right now has 8% of your daily sodium in a teaspoon. Are you using more than 10 teaspoons per day? Going through more than a bottle a week?

I would say try using a little less. You could also experiment with dry seasonings like different peppers to get the heat without any other ingredients. Any kind of hot sauce is going to have some sodium in it, I would think. Frank's isn't really high in sodium, if you are getting problematic levels of sodium from it, it's because you're using an extreme amount.

I could go through a bottle a week LOL
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Just read this and I also love Frank's looked at my sodium out of curiosity it's 3000 over my "goal" I'm not worried I don't usually pay attention to it as long as I'm in my calories that's what matters to me
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    boehle wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

I could go through a bottle a week LOL

Oh, sure! And if that's the case here, no judgement from me at all. But if you are using a quarter cup of hot sauce a day and the sodium involved concerns you, I'd think the first thing to try is to use it in a slightly less excessive way and see if your taste buds can get used to say 3/4 the amount.