What does calories remaining mean??

2»

Replies

• Afrosty08
    Afrosty08 Posts: 25 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Afrosty08 wrote: »
    Do y’all think the calories in the app are very accurate? And if so how many calories a day do y’all eat? Just curious

The average woman has a BMR of around 1400 calories...those are the calories you burn merely existing on this planet...those are the calories your body needs to maintain basic functions. After that, you burn more calories going about your day to day activities...and then exercise.

Everyone's overall calorie requirements are going to be dependent on their stats and activity. 1200 calories is basically the floor for basic nutritional requirements...that includes energy...ie calories...calories are just a unit of energy, and your body uses a lot. 1200 calories is basically the bottom for a sedentary small person who's doing very little in the way of activity, let alone any exercise.

Crashing your calories results in a greater loss of lean mass than necessary...additionally, your body will compensate for a severe energy deficiency by slowing or shutting down such "non-essential" processes as growing hair and nails and that pesky menstrual cycle among other things. A bunch of exercise on top of that just exacerbates the issue. Crashed calories also lead to raised cortisol levels which inhibits fat loss...so basically counterproductive to weight loss goals.

My wife is an avid runner and losses about 1 Lb per week eating 1600-1800 gross calories per day.
    Well yo we’re very helpful. I just started working out 2 weeks ago and really know nothing about all this stuff so thanks for the info!! And I thought 1000 was a lot of calories to eat a day
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Err... it’s how many calories you still have available to eat after all the foods and exercise you’ve logged?
    And also if I don’t log enough calories the app doesn’t let me save my info??

its not healthy to eat too little, so the app won't show what you have eaten if it deems it to be too low. and normally gives you a message saying that you are eating too little.
    if you log exercise it adds those calories to the food page so you can eat them back if you want (basically)

Ok so I do exercise... that’s why it’s adding more for me to eat? And is it necessary to really eat more just because I work out?

many people eat back half their exercise calories, some don't. looking at your pic, you probably don't have too much to lose, so not eating the calories the app suggests and not eating back any exercise calories probably isn't sensible or sustainable longterm.
    i'm sure more of the ladies on here have a better take on your situation, ( read the comments already, respectfully).... and good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2018
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Do y’all think the calories in the app are very accurate? And if so how many calories a day do y’all eat? Just curious

The average woman has a BMR of around 1400 calories...those are the calories you burn merely existing on this planet...those are the calories your body needs to maintain basic functions. After that, you burn more calories going about your day to day activities...and then exercise.

Everyone's overall calorie requirements are going to be dependent on their stats and activity. 1200 calories is basically the floor for basic nutritional requirements...that includes energy...ie calories...calories are just a unit of energy, and your body uses a lot. 1200 calories is basically the bottom for a sedentary small person who's doing very little in the way of activity, let alone any exercise.

Crashing your calories results in a greater loss of lean mass than necessary...additionally, your body will compensate for a severe energy deficiency by slowing or shutting down such "non-essential" processes as growing hair and nails and that pesky menstrual cycle among other things. A bunch of exercise on top of that just exacerbates the issue. Crashed calories also lead to raised cortisol levels which inhibits fat loss...so basically counterproductive to weight loss goals.

My wife is an avid runner and losses about 1 Lb per week eating 1600-1800 gross calories per day.
    Well yo we’re very helpful. I just started working out 2 weeks ago and really know nothing about all this stuff so thanks for the info!! And I thought 1000 was a lot of calories to eat a day

Yeah, 1,000 calories is not a lot in the least. You were eating way more than that before if you got to the point of needing to diet.

Depending on my wife's exercise/training and her daily general activity, she maintains on anywhere from 2,000 - 2300 calories per day, and she's 5'3" on a good day.

I'm a guy, so completely different, but I maintain on about 2800 - 3000 per day.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    @Afrosty08 if the advice given already isn't quite enough (and it should be really) please take a read of this thread, you'll find clear explanation on how your calore allowance is calculated, reasons why undereating is bad even if you "feel fine" and in the replies you'll hear stories from people who were once in the mindset you are in now and why they wish they had the advice you're being given now, sooner http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2018
    Ok thanks y’all. I don’t feel like I’m under eating though??

If you are eating under the target you well could be underfeeding your body (unless your food measurments are too low, or you are not logging all your food. )

MFP doesn't work as designed if you don't follow its recommendations, after you fill out your settings data accurately. AND then logging your food intake and excercise activities accurately.

Purposely undereating and going under target can be a red flag for an "eating disorder".

If so, you can end up malnourished by not eating enough food to fuel your body's basic functions and any excercise activity you do.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Err... it’s how many calories you still have available to eat after all the foods and exercise you’ve logged?
    And also if I don’t log enough calories the app doesn’t let me save my info??

its not healthy to eat too little, so the app won't show what you have eaten if it deems it to be too low. and normally gives you a message saying that you are eating too little.
    if you log exercise it adds those calories to the food page so you can eat them back if you want (basically)

Ok so I do exercise... that’s why it’s adding more for me to eat? And is it necessary to really eat more just because I work out?

You probably should eat a good portion of your excercise calories back. Try aiming to eat 50% to 100% of your excercise calories. Why? Because your body needs fuel for exercising, and for building/repairing muscles. *Don't forget to keep yourself hydrated also.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    How do you even get overweight if 1000 leaves you satiated? You'd be dead in a few years if you actually only ate 1000 cals a day.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    In fairness, to someone who’s new to calorie counting, a THOUSAND calories might sound like an awful lot!

It may sound like a lot, but it sure doesn't feel like a lot. Unless that is 1000 cals of raw cauliflower.