Smart Phone Tracking Apps

13»

Replies

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    I use a formula that estimates A1c from blood glucose readings...I don't remember where I got it but I also put it in an Excel formula for some quick checks occasionally so I don't have to go searching for it again.

Estimate of A1c = (BG + 46.7) / 28.7
    where BG is Blood Glucose in units of mg/dl
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    There are a few formulas that are used... I like the DCCT formula, which is more conservative (yields higher estimated BG averages) than others.
    The DCCT table on this page is also stricter in how it categorizes A1c levels in terms of risk.

More on the DCCT formula:
    Diabetes Control and Complications Trial or DCCT, New England Journal of Medicine 1993; 329:977-986. They studied 1400 T1D; quarterly A1C tests were the primary measure of glycemic control. The study subjects performed quarterly 24-hour, 7-point capillary blood glucose profiles in the home. These are 3 pre-meal tests, 3 post-meal (after 90 minutes) tests, and 1 at bedtime.

Diabetes Care 25:275-278, 2002 result showed a linear relationship between HbA1c and eAG.
    eAG in mg/dl = (35.6 x HbA1c) - 77.3 or
    eAG in mmol/l = (1.98 x HbA1c) – 4.29.

Reference: "Defining the Relationship between Plasma Glucose and HbA1c, Analysis of glucose profiles and HbA1c in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial," Diabetes Care 25:275-278, 2002.

Dr. Richard K. Bernstein, the author of the popular book "Diabetes Solution." He is the first who succeeded using low-carb diet for his type-1 diabetes control (with an A1C of 4.2 to 4.6).

• Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    I alternate between MFP and diabetes:m. The latter is good for graphs and reports, it is fair for diet but poor for exercise (though it does sync with google fit). I also found MyNetDiary quite good.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    I use a formula that estimates A1c from blood glucose readings...I don't remember where I got it but I also put it in an Excel formula for some quick checks occasionally so I don't have to go searching for it again.

If I did this right (probably not cuz I suck at math) using my reading this morning.

(99 + 46.7) / 28.7 = 5.0766 I WISH
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    ConleighS wrote: »

If I did this right (probably not cuz I suck at math) using my reading this morning.

(99 + 46.7) / 28.7 = 5.0766 I WISH

Yep, you did it correctly and that A1c result (about 5.1) would be about right for me IF my BG was 99 all throughout the day & night (i.e. basically an AVERAGE of 99, NOT the minimum) for 3 months.
  • clmbk1
    clmbk1 Posts: 3 Member
    I jst downloaded an app called “glucose “. I think im going to like it, but just started using it today. Any one else tried this app?
  • ConleighS

Yep, you did it correctly and that A1c result (about 5.1) would be about right for me IF my BG was 99 all throughout the day & night (i.e. basically an AVERAGE of 99, NOT the minimum) for 3 months. [/quote]

I wish I was consistent with that number too. If I use my 8 week average of 151, it works out to about a 6.8, which is higher than my last A1c.
  • katkoellis
    katkoellis Posts: 2 Member
    I love MySugr (iPhone). I used to use Glucose Buddy, but MySugr is more fun! I like that I can easily see my BG average and carb count. It will also estimate A1c. Downsides of MySugr: 1) App text is very small on my phone, and I need to use glasses for it. 2) you can enter meds, but it doesn't show up on the spreadsheet. Still, it's nice to download a PDF I can send to my doctor with all my BG readings.
  • So I've finally gotten my glucometer, lancets, and test strips and have started testing my blood regularly as part of my action plan to treat my type 2 diabetes. I'm using the Contour Next One meter that connects via bluetooth to an app on my smartphone that tracks my levels. It seems pretty freaking cool so far!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    edited June 2018
    clmbk1 wrote: »
    I jst downloaded an app called “glucose “. I think im going to like it, but just started using it today. Any one else tried this app?

@clmbk1 I've not heard of this app... can you tell me a bit about it, how it works etc? :) Thanks
  • ConleighS
    206...still on chemo and double hit of steroids
  • danwilhelm
    danwilhelm Posts: 1 Member
    I just started using One Drop. I like it because it pulls everything together (Sugar (onetouch), Carbs(my fitnesspal), exercise(Fitbit). It also reminds me to take med's and shows carbs and exercise as variable sized circles helping you see a quick overview of the day.
  • mypixiedesigns
    mypixiedesigns Posts: 26 Member
    I’m just using the OneTouch App with my Bluetooth OneTouch VerioFlex meter and I sync it to Apple ihealth. What is the difference between all these appa vs what already works with the meters?
  • stevenseaney
    stevenseaney Posts: 1 Member
    I use MySugr. It is a little gimmicky, but it backups up to the cloud and has been very reliable over the past few phones.

I REALLY wish there was an Android app that pulled in MyFitness Carb data...
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    I just got a new meter, One Touch Verio Reflect. Free from the company if you go to their website. Their app syncs with your phone. My phone is an android. It works really well. A little slow sometimes. It shows your patterns. You can put your carb, insulin, and exercise data as well.