Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    My downfall is stress or tired drinking. I think I want a glass of wine to calm my nerves in the evening. I may not really even want a glass of wine, but I think I want it. It's like a battle inside. You want it. No you don't. Yes you do. No you don't. For me sometimes the no's win, but mostly the yes's win. This is my challenge this week. The no's get a little stronger than the yes's.

Just to report on my small victory: The NO was stronger tonight!!

Yahoo! You just exercised that willpower muscle and won! Xo
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    I'm coming in late, but I'm in. Really tired of working so hard on diet and fitness during the week, and then blowing it all to hell on the weekends. And all my friends and my husband are drinkers. Ugh!

Plus, training for a half marathon in the fall. Got to get serious!

Its never late, welcome! Glad to hear from you. :)
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    My downfall is stress or tired drinking. I think I want a glass of wine to calm my nerves in the evening. I may not really even want a glass of wine, but I think I want it. It's like a battle inside. You want it. No you don't. Yes you do. No you don't. For me sometimes the no's win, but mostly the yes's win. This is my challenge this week. The no's get a little stronger than the yes's.

I'm with you there. That's me exactly. Also, add in boredom. We can do this together!

Today is day 3 AF and I already feel better physically. Just feel lighter all over. :)
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    You’re amazing hun. One day at a time, one small battle at a time. You’ll win the war. X
  • RubyRed427
    MissMay wrote: »
    mazcor536 wrote: »
    The “reward” mentality is the core of it. “I’ve had a hard day/good day/achieved something/failed something, I deserve a drink!” To not have a drink feels like deprivation or punishment.
    After a session, I suggest you write down how you’re feeling, emotionally and physically. Write everything, don’t hold back. Waffle on for however long you want. Then fold that up and put it somewhere safe. Memory alone is deceptive, you know you felt bad/awful etc, but it rewrites things continuously to fit the current mood/circumstance. When you’re tempted, you get that paper out and you read it.

This is such great advice.
    So last night I took the time to write a letter to myself and remind myself why I do not need to follow the pack and pretend that I need alcohol to enjoy life.
    I reminded myself of some of my worst experiences while drinking all through out my life ( and I have been around for a long time, lol)
    It brought tears to my eyes as I wrote it out, so hard to think that I was so blinded by booze.
    Then I signed it ... I love you, your worth it. With my name.

Great advice ! I really will have to do this.
    I love your words to yourself especially your signature:) xo
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Miss May you are worth it! If I did that letter, it would be the same for me. And to think that it still has such a hold/place in my mind and I haven't drank since Jan. 22nd. That in and of itself tells me a lot.
  • RubyRed427
    I'm in! Brand new to this group. I used to drink daily. Not just one, but probably 3 every day - I could keep up with my boyfriend who is 40 pounds heavier. My goals are to abstain Monday through Wednesday and then try to moderate intake (2-3) on the weekends. That probably doesn't sound like a small amount to people but, baby steps - I live in a very boozy city and everyone around me drinks quite a bit!

Welcome! Happy to have you here. Be sure to set a plan for Mon-Wed. What will you do when you crave it ? Maybe buy some delicious tea, any substitution. You can make it work:)
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    edited March 2018
    mazcor536 wrote: »
    You’re amazing hun. One day at a time, one small battle at a time. You’ll win the war. X

Swear to God, I read this as "one small bottle at a time" LOL
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Hey guys! Update on me: Today is day 4 AF. I feel good. But the weekend will be tough. We're already planning on going to a food truck party at our favorite local brewery tomorrow. :/ Wish me luck!

Good luck!