Yep, I can still get spooked!

Hi folks,

Well I just wanted to share even though I have been maintaining my weight for almost 5 years there are occasions I feel spooked in regards to the scale and feel I'm not doing this right! and yes, I know, its daft that I could get thrown like this, but hey I'm human and not perfect (well, not all of the time LOL :smiley: )

I'm a daily weigher, I like trends and data... I am well used to fluctuations - I can bounce around my goal range by 1 to 2lbs easily in any given day or week but I always, always settle at my happy numbers of 125-126lbs. I go back to that within 2 days of seeing any spike.

Except this week....
This week its settling at 128-129 and it has been for 5 days. That in itself is rare and in fact downright strange.... (and yes, I even checked the batteries on my scale, just in case LOL)

So it got me thinking, what's different this week? well, not much actually! but then I thought, oh yeah, I have been doing extra walks because its been nice outdoors... plus I wore a pair of trainers the other day which after the 1st mile started cutting into my heels so I practically limped all the way home! The next day my both calves were aching badly (from hobbling on my tip toes for a mile I would guess!). Anyway, this is probably what's causing the spike in weight. I don't like it because it's not happened in an age, but its an explanation.

(I know for sure I haven't eaten over my TDEE, in fact I've been cutting because we have a break coming up and that's how I plan for extra eating whilst away. And of course like anyone else I'll see spikes after high sodium meals, higher carb days for around 2 days but this is the first time in probably a few years that I've seen 4lbs higher... (granted 4lbs is not much at all, I know that's what y'all will be saying, but I'm petite and if that were true gain then I would feel it in my clothes)

I am basically just having a wee rant here :blush: And maybe my sharing my thoughts will help or ring true with someone else.

Happy Friday Eve everyone :smile:

Ruth

Replies

• Catho36
    Catho36 Posts: 107 Member
    Hi, I feel your frustration. I also check in daily, but chart weekly. If there’s an unexplained spike it messes with your head, I have to trust the process and hope it will even out soon. I hope you legs feel better, wearing in new shoes is no fun
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member

Thanks :smile: @Catho36 They aren't new shoes but its been a while since I wore them and they just are not comfortable so they will have to go :/
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Aww thanks for that @Tiny_Dancer_in_Pink :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    muscle soreness. Is your resting HR elevated? Could be your muscles retaining lactic acid. The lesson tho is that you are being vigilant! Let us know when your body returns to normal. :)

I don't track my HR, well occasionally I do during my bike rides with my phone app. But yeah, I'm guessing my muscles are retaining water.

I will keep you guys posted :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited March 2018
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Great post - even us seasoned veterans still have periods of scale anxiety - when it happens to me I review everything I preach on here about patience and perspective (oh and pee pee to get rid of the water weight).

Thanks for the pragmatic reminder and enjoy the impending woosh!

Thanks @WinoGelato I didn't like that I woke up in the early hours (and that doesn't usually happen me either), and all I could think of was the next weigh in!! and I couldn't even get back to sleep :/ I haven't been this spooked in yonks (aka ages and ages). But it feels good to share. :smile:
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    I can relate to this! The weather here has been really nice the past week or so and I've increased my daily walks to 8 miles instead of 7 but due to walking on a cement walking trail (instead of a cushioned high school track; it's track season and the track is in use during my walking time) my left knee and right heel are both hurting.

Scale has gone up a few pounds due to increased activity and now I'm worrying about how long it will take my knee and heel to recover a bit so I can get back to walking. But, I know I just have to relax and wait it out. Thanks for sharing - I needed this today!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I can relate to this! The weather here has been really nice the past week or so and I've increased my daily walks to 8 miles instead of 7 but due to walking on a cement walking trail (instead of a cushioned high school track; it's track season and the track is in use during my walking time) my left knee and right heel are both hurting.

Scale has gone up a few pounds due to increased activity and now I'm worrying about how long it will take my knee and heel to recover a bit so I can get back to walking. But, I know I just have to relax and wait it out. Thanks for sharing - I needed this today!

Sorry to hear about your knee/heel - hope they recover soon. Its amazing how a different surface can affect the walking. It sounds like you're having same spike as me from the soreness and your body is holding on to water to heal/repair. Hang in there too, a whoosh will happen for both of us eventually :smile:
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    This sounds like a very reasonable response. You were worried that the scale was staying up, but then you reviewed the possible reasons and found the answer. I think that's a good example for the rest of us. And yes, I think you're right that the 4 pounds is water weight from your extra exercise--I've had up to an 8 lb. water weight gain before, after a race. I'm sure it will be gone soon.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    I definitely feel your frustrations! Just before my race weekend I had experienced a "whoosh" and was feeling quite good. Then, race weekend hit, and between drinking a lot of my electrolyte mix and higher sodium meals in general, I was like a dead bloated animal by Monday morning.

It takes my body awhile to get rid of it all, too....usually pretty close to a week! I've seen the trend happen enough to know what's going on, but doesn't make it any less frustrating sometimes!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @HoneyBadger155 thanks for sharing, it's good to get others experience and feedback :smile: a week! Wow! Our bodies really like to hold onto water!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    thanks for the update, as a newish maintainer it gives me more faith in trusting in the CICO process
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    kballsocc wrote: »
    thanks for the update, as a newish maintainer it gives me more faith in trusting in the CICO process

no problem, its strange that after all this time I still can question the process but it does work - we just need to keep the faith :smile:

Have a lovely weekend :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Now you've reminded me to stay off the scale after all the cardio I've added this week and how sore I am. I wish I could weigh more often like you but it messes with my head. And my IBS creates scale issues.

I agree and disagree with you about the scale messing with our heads LOL, I prefer to have the data so I can look back on it and see trends.
    I can understand if you have IBS issues, that probably would make for wild fluctuations.
    And yep, if you're really sore then that will certainly affect the scales.
  • doctorfetch
    doctorfetch Posts: 1 Member
    It's probably just an increased salt intake. Or periods?