Emotional support needed

Kind of upset over a comment a patients family member said to me. She had been extremely rude and hindering patient care so I said she couldn’t come in the ambulance. She got mad at that and when the guys were putting the stretcher in she said “you should let her do it because she needs to lose weight”.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I’m so sorry. People are *kitten* sometimes. Hugs
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I'm wondering if she's always unpleasant or just when freaking out over a family member. I'm going to go with always unpleasant. Either way, it's about her, not you.

56646661.jpg
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    She's just an *kitten*!
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Everyone is spot on--there is something with her (despite her being drunk--a drunk person says what a sober person thinks) that makes her ugly inside. But I get it...it hurt. Even when you know that you are better than them, it hurts.

I had someone troll me on Instagram and call me fat girl on a lot of pictures. And I knew he was a worse person (long story short he was sexually harassing my sister and stalking her and did not appreciate my words to him), but they still bothered me. And then I used it as motivation. I literally printed out one of the pictures with his comment highlighted and I would look at it. Because to me, while I know that I will always be better than him, I wanted down the road to show publicly that I am always going to be better.

It sounds so twisted, but turning those harmful words into motivation to continue to kick you-know-what can really help! And then you will be a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better person than that drunkie will ever hope to be!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Consider the source. Hugs.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I have the utmost respect for EMTs. *kitten* that *kitten*. You're so much better than her.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    She would have lashed out at anyone who was getting in her way, and you just happened to be the one. That was her choice. You get to choose how it affects you. "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    I am so sorry. People can be horrid. And people can be loving and supportive, look at the above. And you are here talking about what happened, so A+ on taking care of yourself. Hope you soon feel renewed confidence and rise above.

Friend of mine used to say, you're teflon coated - peel that crap flung by others off you and dispose of it properly, it never was yours!
  • Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    As a first responder you have dedicated your life to kindness. You heard unkindness and you don’t care for it. Perfectly logical!

She cannot control your personal health choices. Only you can. Pursue your goals! They are for you and you alone. So sorry you ran into that situation.
  • chris0547
    chris0547 Posts: 1 Member
    I was a firefighter and ambulance driver for 7 years so I know that family members get stressed and lash out sometimes. That said, remember that what you are doing has more nobility than this patient's family member could muster if their life depended on it.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    I'm sorry. Sometimes people are just jerks.
  • RespiratoryScot
    RespiratoryScot Posts: 32 Member
    With patients and families, I always try to remember that stress sometimes influences people to become unlike themselves. They say hateful things. They say ignorant things. They say untrue things. Telling myself this when it happens helps me actually feel sorry for them, thankful for the health I have, extra pounds or not :)

And some patients and families are just hateful to the core, even without stress. Not much you can do with them.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Ew. What a *katzenkinder*
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    One of my favorite sayings is: Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.

So when things hit the fan, that's when you see someone's true nature. Its not about you, its about them. They said it to be hurtful so don't let them win. I'm sure their life is probably 10x worse and they lash out at others to make themselves feel better. If you let it stick with you, they win. I've been in the same boat before. People can say things and they roll off my back 9 out of 10 times but that one time it sticks it my craw for some reason and stays with me. You just have to make the decision to let it go.

At the end of the day, you were there helping which was a heck of a lot more than the mean person was doing. Take comfort and satisfaction in the fact that you helped when you were needed.