Weight loss without exercising!

Been on Keto three and half months and have lost 104.4 lbs with primarily only incidental exercise such as what I receive from going to my job daily. Hoping to get down about another 120 lbs. I’m sure at some point I’ll have to incorporate some exercise to reach that point! Hoping to avoid a plateau at all possible cost!

Replies

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited March 2018
    Well awesome results and what ever works best for you is great. I have a friend who has been doing it for several years and has had the same results. My question is do you weigh your portions and stay in a deficit? There are many on here who will say it is not what you eat, but CICO (calorie in calorie out)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Congrats! That's a fantastic achievement.

I hope you grow to love exercise as much as I have. It helps me sleep better and helps keep my mood up. As to plateaus, they're really no biggie. Especially as you start getting close to goal, they're likely to happen.
  • LifeOnTop24
    LifeOnTop24 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you! Yes I do weigh out all my portions. I stay just shy of 1000 calories per day. Literally anywhere from 900-1000. Three quarters of my carbs come from a select group of vegetables and I limit my “other” carbs from condiments and anything other than a vegetable from anywhere between 6-10 per day at most. Most of the time I hit about 23-24 carbs in vegetables and 1 to 2 in “other” carbs. I normally sit around 24-27 carbs per day and never anything over 30. The only way I have managed to maintain control of my portions is by eating at home about 98 percent of the time. I don’t trust restaurants to properly portion per their nutrition specs, so I only eat out when I absolutely have to.
  • LifeOnTop24
    LifeOnTop24 Posts: 7 Member
    @goldthistime Thank you! I really want to incorporate more exercising I just fear the inevitable of gaining muscle weight which will increase not decrease my pounds. I understand it’s good weight to carry but I surely would like to get a lot further down before I start throwing too much muscle weight on. If you have any tips as to how to keep steering more towards weight loss than muscle gains with exercise please let me know.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    @goldthistime Thank you! I really want to incorporate more exercising I just fear the inevitable of gaining muscle weight which will increase not decrease my pounds. I understand it’s good weight to carry but I surely would like to get a lot further down before I start throwing too much muscle weight on. If you have any tips as to how to keep steering more towards weight loss than muscle gains with exercise please let me know.

It's tough (for me sometimes too), but you have to stop thinking of your weight on the scale as being the ultimate goal. It's important. I assume that you are losing weight to look better and get healthier. Gaining muscle (not that you are likely to gain much in a deficit anyway), but let's say preserving muscle, will help with both of those goals even if there is a chance that it will slow down movement on the scales.
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    This is a great example of CICO at work, and the fact that exercise is not essential to weight loss. However, goldthistime is right when they advise you to regularly check in with a medical professional. 1000 calories is under what is considered a healthy minimum and even though the food you're eating is nutritious, it's still possible that you're not eating enough of it to provide all the nutrients that you need. You might also want to consider including a couple hundred calories of light exercise so that you can feel confident enough to eat a couple hundred calories more. Exercise isn't essential, but it helps.

In my experience the muscle that you'd build from a light form of exercise, such as walking, won't weigh a huge amount. And remember that muscle helps to burn fat and will decrease your non scale measurements (such as waistline). You don't have to lift weights or run a marathon.

Of course, i don't know any of your other stats. Don't do anything that could injure yourself or cause pain. And you might already be under medical supervision, in which case just keep on doing what they're advising you. It's clearly working.

I'm super impressed, sticking to such a low calorie intake for so long is quite a challenge! Especially when everything is so rigidly measured. Well done.
  • BrujaIngrata
    BrujaIngrata Posts: 6 Member
    Your story is so inspirational thank you for sharing.
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    Muscle is what uses the calories. Less muscle means you’ll burn fewer calories generally. You’re right that you’ll eventually need exercise as you get closer to your goal, that will be far more enjoyable if you maintain as much lean mass as you can.

Great job on the loss so far, I hope the rest of the journey goes well!
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Been dropping a pound of week so far and haven't had the chance to really work out ye, just lifted a few weeks . I'm definitely going to get back at it asap though as I think the results looks better when I'm lifting and losing vs just cico.
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    The fact is that exercise will find its way into your life but when you're carrying around so much extraneous weight, it's tough to get started.

Just a personal anecdote: I lost 30 or so pounds (obese -> just above "normal") before I started exercising. It's hard to carry a 30+ pound backpack for very long, much less when you're trying to get moving.

Can you go by clothing size or photographs or measurements or fitness progress other than pounds? It's really inspiring to keep an exercise log and then look back on it and say, "wow, 20 minutes at 0.5 miles/hour made me practically pass out a while back and now I can do 45 minutes at 4 mph and want more!" Ok yes, that's an exaggeration, but it's really, really fun.

I saw a woman post something like "136 vs 136;" the second looked way better/fitter than the first one, despite the same weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!