Finding it so hard to gain weight!

Hi everyone!

I’m brand new to the app and am hoping to get some help/support in gaining weight!

I’m young (24) and have always been slim... I recently had surgery and was ill in hospital leading to me losing half a stone that I didn’t have in the first place!

I’m now severely underweight and am unhappy with the way I both look and feel,

If anyone had any tips for me on how to gain weight that would be amazing.
I struggle to eat big meals in one go and have been to the doctors for advice but they just told me to eat eat eat....

I want to gain weight but in a healthy way...

Help please!

Clare

Replies

• Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    What helped me was nuts and raisins with dark chocolate, peanut butter, homemade fat shakes and a lot of planning
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    If big meals are a problem, then eat ice cream, chocolate milk, add 2-3 servings of olive oil in your salads, any nut butters or nuts, a couple of avocados, dried fruits, full fat milk, chips....I mean in today's society, it's not the high caloric foods were missing out on. Make sure you still get most of your diet from nutrional foods (basically foods that have fiber and micronutrients), but once you covered that part, don't be affraid to incorporate some "junk" food either, it makes it easier and it won't hurt you either if your diet is already filled with healthy food unless you can't because of a medical condition.
  • tanasta2
    tanasta2 Posts: 19 Member
    Find out your daily caloric maintenance and increase it by 300-500. Track what you eat, consistency is the key. You can eat a lot in a day but if the next day you are not getting enough calories, you will still lose weight.
  • TSoSexy
    TSoSexy Posts: 1 Member
    Hey! I definitely understand your struggle, I was & still am very skinny but now Im making progress! Finally! I gained 6 pounds in 1 week so far! My youtube is naturally poetic. I tell everything I did there. Im not the most by the book gainer but Im doing it & so can you!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Peanut butter
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    This was mee a few years ago, and I promise you it can change! Many poeple find energy dense high-fat food such as oils/butter, nut butters and things like that easy to consume, but for me it is really filling. What worked for me was a diet high in simple carbs such as sweet fruit (think banana, grapes, persimmon), white rice, pasta and bread, and also dried fruits. I also had quite a lot of fat, but not as much as many people reccomend as it would just fill me up.

Also, strength training helps a lot. If you are a runner or do other types of cardio I would stop that for a while and just get into the weight room 3 times per week lifting heavy weights you can do for at most 10 reps.

Good luck girl, I am cheering for you <3
  • klayne81
    klayne81 Posts: 7 Member
    I am the same I drink 3 ensure each day!! I have gained 13 pounds in 3 weeks. Obviously that's not all I eat but definitely jump started things for me. Good luck!!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Correctly determine your break even daily calorie requirement.

Eat more than that.