Protein shake after a peloton bike ride

Hello,
I bought and have been doing the peloton bike rides consistently for the last 2 months. Each ride burns around 700 calories. My goal is weight loss. I am currently 207lbs, want to get down to 195lbs. My question is; is it beneficial to take a protein shake after one of these rides? I am considering “Isopure zero carb protein powder, 100% whey protein” - one of my friends told me that the protein will help break down the fat, and help build lean muscle - wanted to confirm that is truely the case. Would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!

Replies

• Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Protein nor any other nutrient can burn fat. Fat is burned by less calories in than out. What protein does is preserve muscle while losing weight. More muscle mass is more calories burned. So if you don't get enough protein in your diet it would be benificial to supplement.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Plus the timing of protein doesn't have to be 100% after the workout studies have shown 2-4 hours after the workout results to be the same as immediately after.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    I use SIS Rego as it's a recovery drink and not just a source of Protein but would normally only use for rides over 90 mins
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    rox4none wrote: »
    Hello,
    I bought and have been doing the peloton bike rides consistently for the last 2 months. Each ride burns around 700 calories. My goal is weight loss. I am currently 207lbs, want to get down to 195lbs. My question is; is it beneficial to take a protein shake after one of these rides? I am considering “Isopure zero carb protein powder, 100% whey protein” - one of my friends told me that the protein will help break down the fat, and help build lean muscle - wanted to confirm that is truely the case. Would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!

If you are hungry eat something.

Other than that, all the nonsense about needing excess protein is marketing hype to get your money.

This is my advice. That will be $50. Cash or credit?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    rox4none wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks!

That's not really the way it works, so I wouldn't drink the shake with that goal/expectation in mind.

Drink the shake if
    (a) you need extra protein in your diet
    - and/or -
    (b) the post-ride shake helps keep you on track with your overall diet/intake

Post workout shakes really come down to your own personal preference.