5x5 workouts

I've started my 5x5 this week. The focus is to gain some size and strength. I've learned that the big compound movements are definitely the most important. So I will be doing the main lifts with some minor accessory work. Anyone who is doing a 5x5 currently or has in the past feel free to comment.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    For sure intended for strength - not so much for size.

Just nail the form during the build up to higher weights, you'll need it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    heybales wrote: »

Just curious, which program, if any, do you think covers size increase the best?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »

Just curious, which program, if any, do you think covers size increase the best?

Something with 60-120 reps weekly. 5x5 at lower end for only squats, others out of the range by a bit.
    I just run an ancient program I still have notes on that gets up into that range, I'm sure it has a name now, but never examined them all enough to discover it.
    Since I only focus on lifting in winter until biking/running starts - I don't even attempt any newer long programs.
  • triton827
    triton827 Posts: 4 Member
    By size I meant I'm gonna keep in a caloric surplus so actually while gaining weight and keeping progressive overload my muscles will gain size as well. What I'm finding out is training to failure all the time is counter productive and not only that makes you sore all the time which isn't good. Train to stimulate not annihilate. Also I'm on the thin side ago I can Def benefit from adding some size. Gonna continue to do this program for like year to really evaluate the progress.
  • triton827
    triton827 Posts: 4 Member
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    triton827 wrote: »
    By size I meant I'm gonna keep in a caloric surplus so actually while gaining weight and keeping progressive overload my muscles will gain size as well. What I'm finding out is training to failure all the time is counter productive and not only that makes you sore all the time which isn't good. Train to stimulate not annihilate. Also I'm on the thin side ago I can Def benefit from adding some size. Gonna continue to do this program for like year to really evaluate the progress.

Sorta true, sorta not.

For 5x5, mostly true. But, it’s a strength program, not a body building program. For size, you want to hit much higher reps, therefore, less weight to get there.

Strength and size are different things, and the workouts to get there are very different. Neither is good or bad. But, they are different.

The large majority of experienced lifters on this site tend to favor power lifting. So, you typically get a lot of information about building strength. So, typically, low reps and heavy weight. But, that’s one method of getting fit. If it’s size you want thought, you will want to hit a higher rep range. The cool thing is though, the exercises are the same, except in bodybuilding, there’s a bit more emphasis on isolation, where power lifting doesn’t specify that too much except as a way to strengthen a weak point.

I see what you are talking about but you missed what I meant by size. I'm using the 5x5 to build a good strength base and FOOD to build size as in WEIGHT. I have no intentions of ever being a body builder I just train to be fit.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    You can build size with the 5x5.

Reg Park did.

Even with the 5x5 you need to have some sort of progression method to make continued strength gains, otherwise you will stall out.

As others have already said, you don't have to do 5x5 on every exercise. You could but you don't have to.