Your favourite benefits of exercise?

joowelz
joowelz Posts: 170 Member
I need motivation. What are your favourite benefits of exercise?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2018
    joowelz wrote: »
    I need motivation. What are your favourite benefits of exercise?

I can do all kinds of things with my body that I couldn't when I was out of shape. I can go hiking with my kids when we go camping. I can go rock climbing for hours. I can play and keep up with my kids in general. I can move heavier things around without straining so much...we just moved a few months ago, and it was a breeze relative to how it would have been when I was out of shape; It puts me in a better mood, I can move my body in ways that previously would have had me moaning and groaning...plus I just like being fit.

It also helps if you actually do an exercise activity that you enjoy. I primarily cycle, which I love so it doesn't require a whole lot of motivation for me to get out on the road and ride. Going to the gym requires a little more get up and go, but I like being strong and I'd say my physique is a ton better than the vast majority of 43 years old guys I see.

ETA: I've also seen a dramatic improvement to my overall health, and my blood pressure in particular is much better controlled with regular exercise...
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    The way I look in the mirror.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    It greatly improves my mood, especially when the weather is poor and I start feeling tempted to crawl under the covers and hibernate. Motivating myself to get up is a PITA but I know I will feel 110% better once I've completed the workout and can walk out of the gym a sweaty successful mess.

Also every time I get to add more weights I feel like a complete badass. Or when I'm in a rush going up the stairs with a coworker, chatting away while quickly climbing up, only to realize they are absolutely dying trying to keep up.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I have crazy fun clothes to wear. I like the music.