How can I get away from soda?

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Try a crystal light instead.
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    It takes a little to get used to but I drink club soda. You can put a little lime, lemon or some cranberry juice in to flavor it up but I also like it just plain. Plus it helps me stay hydrated.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    I was addicted to ice-cold Pepsi (yum) trust me the cravings will subside. Now I only want it when Im having a cheat.

Try:
    Sparkling water with fresh lime (or Lime Perrier)
    Sparkling water with a little bit of flavoured cordial
  • I was a hard core Coke drinker. I switched to Coke Zero about a year ago and have gone from 2-3 per day to 2-3 per week. The Diet Dr Pepper is pretty good too and I will drink that once in a while. Good luck on what ever you try.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    I live in the Dallas area and I stock the fridge with calorie free sparkling waters called La Croix. There is also generic brands available.
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    I gave it up for Lent one year. After that I wanted to prove that I could kick it for good. It was tough. All I used to drink was soda and coffee. Now I drink seltzer. It took forever to get used to but I love it now.
  • Hi,

I gave up soda (diet coke) three years ago. It was hard because I justified my one diet coke habit for a long time. I cut down first from drinking 3 per day to one and then finally gave it up. I first read all about the ingredients and decided they weren't doing a thing for me. So instead of feeling like I was a victim of my habit, I made the decision and it felt more of a choice. No victim here!

Next, I allowed myself to have it during the times I wanted to have it but first I had to drink a glass of water. After my glass of water I could drink my diet coke. Eventually, I was hardly drinking the coke and it became kind of pointless. Now I drink a few sips from my husband or kids and it taste too sugary.

I suppose if I started to sip it a little at a time I could get use to the taste. No thank you!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    I was drinking Coke and when I started here I realized I didn't want to drink my calories! Luckily, there's Coke Zero. So I would substitute with that to avoid having the calories. But of course, the aspartame in it is just awful for you. That factor didn't make me want to stop drinking it, I just noticed that I'd go buy one and would literally take like 4 drinks off it. I just stick to water, sometimes tea or I'll get the Crystal Lights if I'm feeling bored with my water. If you stick with it, it's not that difficult to quit drinking it.
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    don't buy any

^^^^This

It's hard to convince yourself not to drink it when it's right in the other room. So don't buy any. When you do decide to splurge only buy one can, don't buy a whole 12 pack.
    I used to drink Mt. Dew like water and I am fine without but if I buy a 12 pack I'll drink it in 2-3 days. So, I don't buy it anymore. Now and then I'll get just one but I spend a week convincing myself not to buy anymore. so be careful. good luck :)
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Don't buy it and don't drink it. It's that simple !
  • Hi,

I gave up soda (diet coke) three years ago. It was hard because I justified my one diet coke habit for a long time. I cut down first from drinking 3 per day to one and then finally gave it up. I first read all about the ingredients and decided they weren't doing a thing for me. So instead of feeling like I was a victim of my habit, I made the decision and it felt more of a choice. No victim here!

Next, I allowed myself to have it during the times I wanted to have it but first I had to drink a glass of water. After my glass of water I could drink my diet coke. Eventually, I was hardly drinking the coke and it became kind of pointless. Now I drink a few sips from my husband or kids and it taste too bad.

I suppose if I started to sip it a little at a time I could get use to the taste. No thank you!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Don't buy them.... Replace them with a fresh squeezed juice. A week of fresh juices and you will dislike the taste of any soda!
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Diet Dr Pepper is your friend until you can wean yourself off of it totally.
  • Rhea81
    Rhea81 Posts: 38 Member
    Don't pee all day long. You'll have to pee so bad the thought of drinking anything will be out of your mind. Therefore, you won't drink Dr. Pepper.

OMG! Really??? Yeah, trading drinking sodas for urinary track and bladder issues is a fabulous idea. (noted sarcasm) Wow! How about ... "NO" on this one. I seriously hope that post was a joke...
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Don't buy it or have it in the home. I have no control over what I eat (like potato chips), so therefore, I do not buy it and do not go near the chip section (or the cookies) at the grocery. No surprise when the grocers stick an island of soda or chips in the middle of the store, they know you can't resist.

We drink a lot of unsweetened tea. Cheaper and healthier.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    I gave up there weeks ago. I was drinking 3-4L of Pepsi Max a day. I went almost cold turkey. I've now dropped down to drinking 1.2L a day. 1 600mL of Coke Zero in the morning and one at lunch. I have a bottle of water on my desk and I drink at least 2.4L a day at work and then usually another 600mL at home.

At first I made myself drink the water. Even now I still have to make myself finish it. But I just keep doing it.

For me the difference in three weeks has been AMAZING. The first week was horrible. I was exhausted and had the headaches. I also STUNK. Like no matter how much deodorant I was using, I STUNK. Thankfully no-one else could smell it (I went to my boss and explained and she said it smelt like a slight case of BO but nothing severe) It was all the **** coming out of my body.

My head is so much clearer. SO much clearer. I had no idea how fuzzy it was before.

Water is AMAZING and it's so, so hard for the first couple of days, but your body will thank you!
  • I love all the replies this has gotten! I have stopped buying soda myself, but I live with 3 other people, making it hard for it to not be sitting around the house. I have taken myself down to one can of Dr Pepper a week, which is AMAZING compared to I used to have a few cans a day!

I love how people just read the label and are motivated to not drink soda at all. I wish I was that way. But it tastes amazing when you don't drink it for so long.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    My advice is to cut down slowly. I really enjoy soda. I have been drinking coke zero for a while, and would mix 1/2 and 1/2 diet and regular pepsi when I go out. I recently bought caffeine free coke for at home when I wanted to drink it with something. I know I will drink less when I have to count those 140 calories, and it at least eliminates teh caffeine, but am going to try to get to the point where I'm just drinking them on occassion.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Char -

All i am going to say is with all that sugar...............think of Grandma and what she went through with the Diabetes, neuropathy, amputations, etc.............. Keep that image in mind and you won't ever have a sugary soda again.
  • Step 1: stop referring to it as "addiction." this enables your giving in to your slight desire to reach for a can of soda instead of tea or water w/ lemon or plain water. You're not "addicted" to soda. Cigarettes, heroine, crack cocaine-- those are addictive substances. Saying that you're "addicted" is a psychological coping mechanism-- a way of labeling weakness as something other than just that.

Step 2: drink other stuff.

Step 3: Enjoy the other stuff.

Step 4: Validate and reaffirm how much you are in love with the other stuff- - repeat after me, "I LOVE drinking plain water. It's the best!"