Am I in over my head?

Hi everyone, I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. I’ve always been the ‘bigger’ girl or the ‘thicker’ girl. My whole life. My goal weight is about 40lbs lighter than I’ve ever weighed (well, maybe since 3rd grade). I get so excited thinking about how I could be then I get curious if I’ll ever reach my goal. Does anyone have any advice or going through something similar?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    What BMI is your goal weight?
  • dekrugermolly
    dekrugermolly Posts: 26 Member
    My current BMI is 28 and goal is 22. Seems far fetched, I don’t know if it’s even possible
  • ocnldy
    ocnldy Posts: 123 Member
    If your goal is overwhelming, break it into smaller goals. Like 5lbs at a time. Find something that helps motivate, some people use jars with rocks for pounds lost, I am using my before and afters from 2016 to motivate me to get back in shape. Good luck!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    Yeah, it's a One Day At A Time kind of thing. One meal at a time.

22 should be do-able. I'm at 22 and I'm a little old lady. :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Don't expect a quick fix. This is a long process but that's okay because it is not starvation or painful. This is how you will eat from now on. Slow steady progress is the goal so get started.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    It's realistic! I started at BMI 30 and have maintained BMI 21-22 for three years. I hadn't had this weight since I was 13-14. I'm 47 now.
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    It's realistic! I started at BMI 30 and have maintained BMI 21-22 for three years. I hadn't had this weight since I was 13-14. I'm 47 now.

This was totally me as well! I'm now 21 bmi and 39 years old. Took 8 months, but the process was worth it. Slow and steady wins the race. You can do it!!
  • mikecurious123
    mikecurious123 Posts: 9 Member
    I haven't read the previous posts, but the thing that's worked for me the most has definitely been watching what I eat and only consuming calories needed for the day in order to meet my long term goal. This app has been really great at helping me do that.
  • Sheluvsbread2much
    Sheluvsbread2much Posts: 85 Member
    saymyname2 wrote: »
    someone once said
    "I need to loose 10lbs 10 times"

That idea has spurred me on!
    I know I can loose 10lbs so I'll just keep loosing 10lbs until I hit my goal!

I like that. That is how I'm going to look at it from now on.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Girl, you can totally do this. Just start moving more, log your food, and eat less. There are plenty of people here to support you! Feel free to add me.
  • BigCharlie19782018
    BigCharlie19782018 Posts: 28 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hi everyone, I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. I’ve always been the ‘bigger’ girl or the ‘thicker’ girl. My whole life. My goal weight is about 40lbs lighter than I’ve ever weighed (well, maybe since 3rd grade). I get so excited thinking about how I could be then I get curious if I’ll ever reach my goal. Does anyone have any advice or going through something similar?

Hi, you are just like me, I need to lose weight because I've high blood pressure. I'm on medication and I want off it, so I knew I needed a lifestyle change, that was 2 years ago, yes that's correct, I done nothing about it for 2 years. Then I realized it was me that had to change. I'm logging my food diary every day on mfp and I've lost 6 pounds in about 2 weeks. It's all about being accountable. Be true to yourself. End of
  • BigCharlie19782018
    BigCharlie19782018 Posts: 28 Member
    Feel free to add me, all
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    For me its not looking at the big picture but the smaller ones. I look at 5 pounds at a time. I make a box with 5 pounds on it with small little check boxes under and put on my refrigerator or where i look everyday and each time 1 pound is gone i check off. Feels like a great accomplishment when all 5 are checked. Just something motivational that keeps me going.
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    @dekrugermolly you got this. Support on here is great.

I sent you a FR